It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:20 pm 
STFU

im goin out later and gonna pick one of these up, hope its alot like ffx. MAYB THEY WILL HAVE BLITZBALL!? OMG JUST GOT AN ERRECTION

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:43 pm 
Bitter Canadian

which ff game was it with blitzball? 9?? I forget.
That game should be playable in every ff rly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:05 pm 
Black Thumb

Haven't even played yet and the instruction booklet makes it sound like leveling is very similar to 10, so Kuyu should be pleased. Pretty looking pictures too ;o

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:35 am 
Random Man

No bltzball, only fighting monsters, crafting weapons, and cutscenes.

No Al Bhed, no chasing cactaurs, there are hunts but they're pretty much the same thing. Get quest, run to the fight. No hunts like FF12, blue necromancer rabbit running from you as it spawns skeletons type awesomeness. The hunts are described as repetitive.

But it is like FF10 outside of the optional things, cities, lightning bolt dodging, anything that don't involve battles, and cutscenes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:15 am 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Did the first little bit when they crack a gay joke and Snow leaves, then went and watched Alice in Wonderland.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:00 pm 
Black Thumb

I beat the bridge fight with the Marauder and then I watched LOST. Much more incoming today.

I have to say that my first impression is a bit...interested.

Ploid, remember my forum post a while back that said that the screen looks super busy? It really doesn't play as busy as it looked, but with ATB things move pretty quickly. I don't really like that your score is based on how quickly you can get through something cause some battles are drawn-out and stuff for a reason, and I like to use different methods.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:25 pm 
Random Man

Btw you don't gain exp or upgrades for a while until they show you about the crystalarum or whatever so don't grind and avoid fights if you don't care about fighting everything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:20 pm 
Black Thumb

Actually the battle system kinda requires that you practice a bit to get used to it.

There's an auto-battle option, but it isn't as clean as programming gambits (ff12).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:21 am 

After you're used to the battle system, skip as many fights as you can until you get the sphere grid 2.0 in chapter 3. It's just wasted time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:59 pm 
Black Thumb

Yeah that's what I've been doin.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:38 pm 
Gender Illusionist

I did not read this thread. But I kinda need a new game, and havn't really played any other FF besides 11 that much.

Buy 13, y/n?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:38 pm 
Hexabox Aspirant

I've started FF13 today, so far it seems to be the most boring FF ever made.

I got Strikeforce today as well, so maybe I'll gtfo FF13.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:05 pm 
Black Thumb

You obviously did not play FFX if you're saying this is boring.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:43 am 
Ice is strong against fire!!

9 was more boring than 10, I didn't even finish 9

7 is clearly by far the winner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:21 am 
Random Man

Lolmy wrote:
I did not read this thread. But I kinda need a new game, and havn't really played any other FF besides 11 that much.

Buy 13, y/n?

Get a game like Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age, try Fallout 3, and there are other games.

Basically FF13 is a gigantic never ending dungeon. There's nothing to break up the repetitive fights (well there are cutscenes!), there's no managing mp resources between fights, and while the fights look cool you're basically just managing them while being able to issue detailed commands to one (you can make it auto attack each round also).

Fights can be tough but they can be cheap when your main character is killed quickly. That's not a problem for small fights though, after every death you just start back from the fight that killed you. When you fight a boss for a long time and die after unlocking it's ability to shoot Omega AOE lazer blast 392-4q and your main dies it can get annoying. It's especially annoying when you know that the NPC characters will instantly raise each other when one dies. That said, the fighting (the main thing to look forward to in this game) might click with you. It's the only thing you'll be doing too.

This FF isn't too much like the other FF other than a spin on FFX-2's faster battle system, including it's job change while in battle. The other FF's offered good variety of things to do. FF12 didn't have a good deal of variety outside of being like FF11. The world wasn't built out of corridors, and the zones was much like FF11, so you could get lost just hunting down NMs/hunts skipping the story all together.

FFXIII has hunts but it sounds straight forward and basically fighting the monster after you walk to it's location. I asked people about hunts in ff13 because that was one of the things I liked about 12, you get some hunts 20 hours into 13, and after you finish the game you get more. There is one open area in 13, it's a big zone, but it's the only one. All of the hunts are in that zone apparently. You take the hunt mission, and you walk over to the fight. The more you do the more of the zone you unlock.

This is the gist of all of my FF13 research. Take a look at the fighting system in youtube videos. If you like it, rent the game, if you still like it the game should be good to buy.

My bias is that I like freedom in my rpgs, and a good amount of variety. When I'm in dungeons I like for them to end at some point to unwind. I think you would like Mass Effect1 and 2. They has guns.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:29 am 
Random Man

Yorke wrote:
You obviously did not play FFX if you're saying this is boring.

FFX had cities, things to break up the fighting, and mini games. The ride on that ship that sin attacked was a nice calm setting where you got to play with that ball, chat it up with the passengers, and it seemed like a nice setting, then sin attacked and you're all oh #(%@! And your moment of peace is turned on it's head. FFX was good because of this, it wasn't my favorite but it did good, it did good. I hated those trials puzzles. They were just too slow on the second play through, but at least it had them right?

FFXIII should be released on PSN as a fighter pack. Just give you the core of the gameplay, and pit you in a random battle generator. The more you survive the higher the difficulty get. At the highest level the monsters are more likely to one shot your main character. Sell it for $20.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:02 pm 
Black Thumb

I should add that FFX "barely" had cities. I do like the idea of being able to walk around on the world map and stuff like that. Being able to reign free over where you can go was one of the coolest aspects of the first 9 of them and let you do all sorts of exploring to find hidden itemz.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:17 pm 
Random Man

< Dodged 200 lightning bolts in a row

Who knows how many I did total. FFX had it's extra activities moments. Meeting that reporter that wanted to do a story on Yuna's pilgrimage, AlBed, and that airship which was like a mini city.

FF13 has a crazy awesome looking city, but after the cutscenes it's just turned into a dungeon's background.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:38 pm 
Black Thumb

I really enjoyed FF12's look too. They had cities and stuff like that :<

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:55 pm 

That's what I do miss. No cities and not being able to level ahead is gay. Once you cap your current stats you can't keep going.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next