It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:27 pm 
Random Man

I killed the dragon like 3 times. 2 times in one game (I thought I could use less items and save them because I was sloppy), and my second character (the thief). The second time I beat it was on Nightmare difficulty, this is what I did.

My tank is like level 14, or was 12-13 at the time I beat it. Heck I saved right before so I can fight it again whenever I want. Loading up to check stats (lol I'm talking like I'm posting this live).

While I wait for this to boot up, I take it that Mefya hasn't fought the other dragon yet? This dragon he's having problems with is the hardest. The other one would have been good to practice on.

For the fight I basically made sure the tank did Threaten, Taunt, and Warcry whenever possible to have hate locked on him tight. My tank has Shield Expertise (no shield mastery at the time, that would have been a lot of help). Anyway I tanked it with a human, Shale is the better tank (the rock dude), but I just don't know how to use him.

Tank level 14
313hp/195stamina

Rogue/Assassin 15
I was eating his back side up with crit/backstabs.

Rogue archer/bard 15
There is this ranged shot talent called Arrow Of Slaying that I used whenever possible. That thing hits hard but I still miss a lot.

White mage type mage.

I have the mage and ranger far away while the tank is in the front of the beast, and the melee rogue is in the back critting/stabbing like a mad man. The tank drinks that fire resist drink cause he's the only one in breath area. I have a lot of physical attack resist from runes I installed on the sword, and the helmet so I don't get knocked on my back. My curemage keeps his hp above 80% because the real tank killer is that grab the dragon do. Cast reraise on the tank if he gets grabbed if possible. It's called Life Ward. I also made a lot of potions because the mage timers are always down. Wynne can make low level potions by default, but if you put another point into herbalism you can make better potions which is best.

I'm sure Mef got the position of characters in a good way but here's what I did. (while taking these pictures I didn't cure the tank. HP should never be as low as seen in some of these)

Resisting a knock down

So the fight is all about keeping the tank alive. Mana drinks for the mage, Cleansing Aura, and that Vessel of the SPirit ability you get with Wynne (get a lot of respect from her). Lots of normal level potions. Maybe lesser level postions for the melee guy (if you can get 2 rangers, one mage, and one tank that might be good too.

Edit: For my tank's armor

+20% mental resist
+60% physical resist
+1 willpower
+5% Spirit resist
+2% spell resist
+20% Fire resist
+10% healing effect
+6 Def
+30 hp
+50 stamina
*High chance of paralysis (weapon buff via rune)
*High chance of slow (weapon buff via rune)
*My armor total is 31
*Defense total is 74
*With fire resist drink (lesser balm drink) my total fire resist is 50%.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:11 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Do you control the tanks and stuff?
Because this is actually pretty kewl.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:20 pm 
Random Man

You control anyone in your party you want. When you have a character selected, the computer take over your other characters. You set up tactics (ffxii's gambits) so the ai don't do anything you don't want it to do, and it has orders on what you want it to do in situations you presented. I have my thumb in pretty much every action of my party. I pause and issue commands to each of them. When something major happens and I have to have everyone reacting to the situation fast, I pause, think of what I can do to get everything under control, then start issuing commands to everyone that I need to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:25 pm 

So it's almost exactly like FFXII's fighting system?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:33 pm 
Random Man

Yea but deeper. I've been telling you guys this the whole time but it kept having Oblivion brought up. The story is also way better, see how Mira say she try to have Mef wait until she can watch the story? You control a lot in the story. Your actions cause people to die, kings to rule, your party to be stronger, will get you in fights, keep people from fighting you, etc etc etc. Just picking a race and gender change how the game is played out for you. The class/job your main character choose also effect things. I started the game over after 40 hours into my first character and still had a good time because things were pretty different (I was still a nice dude and didn't act like a douche).

The fighting is more like a mix of ffxi and ffxii I think. You have your hate syste, -enmity gears, and macros (no tp but you have a melee stamina which is like mage and mp). You can do skill chain like combos. For my rogue if I stun someone with my Image dirty fighting talent, my character will start critical attacking each time he swing because of my Coup De Grace talent. Mages also get combos, they can cause this huge spell by mixing spells (cast spell 1 while having ability 3, then use spell 6 causing a omgwhatwhat Storm of the Century spell combo (real name of the combo).

This isn't a pic of storm of the century, I never did it myself. I'll be a mage the next time I go through the game I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:28 am 
Gabey's Mom

It is similar in a basic sense but it is a LOT better than ff12. You can also slow things do an assign tasks in a turn based manner if you really want to or need to. The game really is not like Oblivion at all other than they are the same game genre. Thats it. Personally I thought oblivion was boring, and slow. Dragon age isnt. It is interesting, both fun to play and fun to watch. The game has challenges, its not something you are gonna blow thru in 10 hours and feel like you wasted money.

Thanks for the info and screens ploid, he's definitely gonna try things a bit differently. He says thanks too :D He wants to know if you've found any use for the landmark areas? Also have you had wade make any drakescale armor, is there any thats worth it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:44 am 
Random Man

The landmark areas are for the dog. He marks his territory and get a buff from it. You just need to mark the zone once. I don't use the dog much outside of that one dragon fight. He's a good tank.

Wade's superior Dragon Armor is good stuff. It gives you -fatigue with the full set. Skills cost less to use, and all of the armor give you stamina regeneration. It's like refresh, and conserve mp for melee! Tell him to spend 10gold/sovereign on the first drake skin armor so he get Superior Dragon Armor when he kill the dragon. Outside of the lower cost of abilities, speed it gives the melee, and the fire resist it's basic. I started wearing the +10% critical/backstab damage gloves to go along with my off hand dagger which adds +30% crit/backstab damage among a lot of other things and 3 rune slots (best dagger in the game? I think so, if not wat wat!).

http://www.gamebanshee.com/dragonageori ... n.php#null < this place is like ffxi's alla with all the equipment, stats and where to find some of them.

The dagger, cost like 148 gold/sovereign.
Damage: 6.40%
Critical chance: 4.80%
Armor Penetration: 8
Str modifier:0.85 (for some reason the site didn't list these stats)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:36 am 
Random Man

Here is a guy that soloed the dragon. He's level 22 and found a neat trick to making it easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpevk_kG6iQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:22 am 

Sidewinder or gtfo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:21 pm 
Faggot

graphics sux

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:53 pm 
Random Man

The graphics are fine. That said, this game don't depend on graphics to make it so good.

When you make it to this part this guy makes you feel sleepy with his voice. He puts your characters to sleep and feed on their spirits while they're in some dream world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI4vHweQwY8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:51 pm 

Caving, girlfriend is getting me this for X-mas. >:
But not a total cave because I am in fact waiting and not needing to get it right naw.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:23 am 
Random Man

Holy crap man, I just got to the final fight. It's like they looked at SE and went crazy with the adds for it.

Spoiler--------------- Highlight after red.

Dragon fight, it starts off as just a normal fight. Then he get pissed and fly away to another spot. As you go to him you get aggro from a steady supply of adds that respawn. It's like 20 adds, however I found out I could get help from my army (I picked dwarves as they can do good dd). So I pretty much had around 10 dwarves handling the adds. My only raise was dead so I was running on gimp cures, and couldn't afford to die.

After a few minutes I noticed that the adds wasn't going to go away. The dragon was on a unreachable platform spitting spirit fire balls at me, and creating tarnados to jack me up. I later found out I was supposed to use the ballista machines to shoot him with my characters for damage. I almost killed it but not having my cure mage owned me. It was a good fight in retrospect, I think I'll try again.

After I finally finish the game it's time to play it again for the 3rd time. I'm totally abandoning the paladin character. I was a newb when I made that one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:39 pm 
Hexabox Aspirant

I played through the game and thought it was kinda blah. Still somewhat entertaining though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:18 pm 
Random Man

Interesting, It's the only rpg I've actually looked forward to playing it again. I played ff7 from the start after getting deep in it but only because I felt I had to. It took me 2 years to beat ff7 (darn school). For this I'm on the 90 hour mark with my second character, I still need to unlock blood mage, and Reaver.

My mage run will be arcane warrior tanking. Heavy armor, strong spell combos, and almost impossible to kill (stoneskin, and some other tricks). I still don't know what arcane warriors do for hate (arcane warriors are mages that are given the ability to wear heavy armor, and use strong swords/shields/2hand weapons).

Did you play the PC version? What difficulty did you have it on? The console version is too easy on normal. Nightmare seems like it should have been normal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:54 pm 

I'm about 6 feet from my copy, it's wrapped lewl.
Is it funner to be the tank guy (I assume the PLD), or stand black and shoot or wut.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:13 am 
Random Man

You can be anything, your main character is probably better off being something that you can't go without in the party. And you will need to play solo at certain parts so I think it's best to be a dd mage. You have a tank ready character with you at the start of the game almost (after the origin story). Just hook him up with Constitution(HP) and some good equipment. Don't waste talent points getting pure dd abilities for the him. I don't like the rock dude. Alistair is a awesome enough tank.

Thief is hax. I like being rogue for the main character. When I had to solo I could just vanish and screw the enemies up with traps, poison bombs, fire/ice bombs, sleepga traps, etc. Rogue is a one man army. Also mage with the right spells but I haven't gotten too into that with solo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 pm 
Doesn't work without batteries

Just finished up my first run through as a Rogue Ranger/Assassin. Ranger is pretty baller having a Great Bear fuckin' shit up. Great for solo too.. the bear tanks so you can sneak around to the backside and fuck 'em up. I used axes a lot for my rogue...both hands once i got duel wield mastery.

I had the same problem with the Archdemon fight. It was going fairly well at first cause I had the Elves with me shooting from a distance and Alistar tanking like a pro and facing away so my army didn't get breathed. But when the adds came, I kind of got fucked up... some lag didn't help with all the darkspawn and elves running around.

I didn't notice the balistas and was pretty much zombie fighting as the Archdemon fucked me up from a distance. At one point it came down to just Alistar shooting arrows at it at like 20% acc and me just sacrificing the Redcliffe soldiers. Epic win.

Going to try an Elf mage now... I'm thinking blood mage/arcane warrior.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:23 am 
Random Man

Finally beat the game. That was a very satisfying ending, seeing how everything you had your hands on turned out and such.

Dhil thats how I was too hah, zombieing when all those adds started coming up. My new character will have a raise spell for sure.

Edit: Wow the credits music is pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmL2xT73pk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:00 pm 

So we did Christmas last night because we're both not really gunna be off, so we said f-it. The game came with Downloadable Content - The Stone Prisoner and Blood Dragon Plate, either of those good Plois? I think the stone guy is an extra character you can have so that's always gewd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next