It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:02 am 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Still looks very RPGy/Oblibiony to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:03 am 
Random Man

Huzzah!

Tonight is going to pwn, sleep will be skipped. I shouldn't have woke up so early today.

Edit: Yes it's a rpg, and the era or dark fantasy style is the same era and style that Oblivion used (horses, heavy armor, no guns, etc). That, and the fact that thieves can pick pocket seem to be the only comparison. Well I played both and I'll be able to find out tonight.

Last edited by Ploid on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:05 am 

I expect a pull explanation tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:06 am 
Cock atrice

Borderlands has a DLC coming out before the end of this year. Zombies ftw. It seems to be a large DLC too so maybe it'll be good. Idk if any game can keep me playing like Fallout 3 did tho. And PROID, is there no multiplayer at all on Dragon Age? If so I'll sad face cause I wanted to play with you as my tank and me be the singing assassin with a Ridill.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:06 am 
Random Man

I edited my last post. I have Oblivion and played it a lot, I'll see how similar they are.

Edit: No multiplayer killer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:36 am 
Cock atrice

How fail is no multiplayer in a day and age when everything is multiplayer? I mean they made RESIDENT EVIL multiplayer, and it's supposed to be one of those, "You're all alone and it's scary because of that" games. Epic fail right thur.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 am 
Random Man

This game is built around single player. It's a long RPG, sure they could have MP in it but I guess it would change things. This is a pure RPG, like FF but western and deeper.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:57 am 
Black Thumb

I think Borderlands is a LOT different than other FPS I've played before. You have a lot more customizability that will greatly affect the outcome of your fights. I can forsee my second playthrough getting quite difficult so teams are essential, but when playing online you can get things like Ammo Regen +9 for your team, and can do some awesome things with it (I have one mod that has 35% team accuracy and some other stuff to help support.

Basically, skills are broken down into 3 categories. Infantry, support, medic. All three are essential to have if you have any hope to survive (especially in 2nd playthrough). Currently I'm heavily Infantry based on my tree. I do like the fact that it's Diablo-style in drop rarities. Like, idk if you remember D2 when you would get a certain Longbow or something (Windforce for elitists) and it would have different grades of value based on how strong it was when you got it appraised. Same with this. There might be 20 guns with the exact same name, but they might all have different stats. Sometimes you'll get rare drops (easier with Mordecai who's THF/RNG) that can blow the way you play the game into new perspective.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:59 am 
Random Man

I'll get Borderlands someday for sure. It's the kinda game I like, loot whore!

My character inspired by the late Mefya.

So far I'm loving it. It's got better music, and the story is darn good so far. Also my choices effect the story, or rather how people treat me (maybe the branch of story too). I decided to be a noble paladin type. I was asked who caused this whole death of the king's son thing, for example, and I took all the blame by choice. Now here I am right after (pics taken). My character was about to be in a arranged marriage and I was against it all the way (in picking the responses). The groom felt like dirt because I was rejecting him, and he even tried to put his life on the line (and died) to help me escape (us lowly scum elves were kidnapped to be raped by the prince and his guards for backtalk).

Needless to say my shield bashing, and defense is pwning so far.

Edit:

Man this game is getting tough. Rangers sending out dogs to slow me down while they pick me off from the distance with bear traps between them is just one of the encounters I got owned on. I gotta get a healer in my group. I only have one mage. Shoot I guess I need to see if it's possible at all to get healing spells on my tank.

Come on friday!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:43 pm 
Random Man

There's a chanter's board in this game (like FFXI's Hunts board). You can answer requests to take care of problems, usually big fights. At the end you talk to the guy that is in charge of the help board and you get a reward. This game is huge.

Update: This story branching, and talking to npc's and your party members seems pretty interesting. For your party there's a bar under them showing how cool they are with you. If you do something in the game that they're not fond of (I threatened a nun and my Templar dude apologized for me and said I was being a jerk lol) you lose respect. If you do things they like you get props and they increase in effectiveness during battle. For my character (a tank) this makes me feel like I'm really being in the leader role, being an example and stuff. I have this dark person in my group that likes it when I do stuff like rough up a merchant to try and get lower prices, so it's not all +s for doing good stuff, and if that nice guy is left at the camp he won't know (you are limited to 4 people in your party at a time. Think FF and changing out people).

Edit: Oh snap if you level up your respect with a character they give you a skill point too. Skill point to spend on a attribute and stuff like trap making and such.

E:Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:55 pm 
Random Man

Ok I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this game is epic. Just tried to take a dragon down for loot. My tank went down so fast. My setup was a PLD type (my main character), a Dog melee (he's a pwn dog shut up), a white mage, and a bard/ranger.

Start fight:

I get up on the platform with my mage and ranger sitting on lower ground. I have the ranger breaking it's armor, and crippling it's attacks.

My dog is a good attacker, and does debuffs to slow it down. Roar = knock back, aka lose a attack round for example.

So my pwn tank starts fighting and everything is good. Then the dragon ate my pld... I was controlling the whm so I didn't see how he died so quick. I raised him and tried again, but before I could raise I feared the dog was going to go down. He managed to hold it off until the pld was ready to fight with injuries taken care of.

Bam, PLD dead again. Raise will take 1minute to be ready, "I'm done" I thought.

What is this, 20 seconds later the dog is actually tanking this thing like a pro. The dragon can't grab him because he's too low to the ground. Everytime the dragon tried to scoop him up he would duck down. Maybe I need to put some points into tactics (battle awareness) because it seems like the dog was smarter than my main character.

This dog rocks! I died in the end but the dog put up one heck of a fight. The fight lasted like 20minutes it seem. Had to do a lot of stalling and crafting for more mana drinks. The bard had attack song up the whole time. Don't know what other song to use for it. Went into the fight not knowing what to expect. Maybe I shouldn't stand in it's face. Maybe it's armor don't need lowering, I wish I could scan the it's stats.

Current awesome armor.

Kill screen

Edit: Revenge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:24 am 
Doesn't work without batteries

Damn you, Ploid! Making me want to get this game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:08 pm 
Black Thumb

Did you remember to get ToD?

Yeah, that looks good. May try, etc

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:13 pm 
Random Man

Oh also the music in this game is great. They have vocals in them which kinda give the world a living feeling, a soul? Anyway here are some that I was able to find.

This is a slide show + theme music vid. The main theme, don't listen to it all, they kinda extend it to show more screen shots or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1e-KVJwARY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIDFftkfZko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrTJUWMc72A

Tavern Brawl, this is a good light heart-ted one. The bards are really throwing down in this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1nVtCGAJoI

One other thing about this game that I ran across. I was in this big city which has it's own world map, and as I was leaving it some kid ran up and delivered me a telegraph. Turns out an assassin group that tried to get me killed wanted to discuss something with me. The directions lead me deep in the back of a fancy pub. The guy I was talking to had two guards. I was anticipating a fight and loot but I kinda toyed with the idea of working for him during the conversation (I would ask stuff like, "so why should I work for you, what's in it for me, and what would I be doing"). The deal didn't seem bad, he said I would get letters, and well I'll type the transcript (the game save every conversation you have). This part felt like GTA btw, it was awesome.

Transcript:

Master Ignacio: You here about a note? Maybe we have some things we can talk about.

M.I.: You are of great interest to me.

Plois (Me): You're an Antivan Crow? (an assassin group)

M.I.: That's a very... direct question. On the whole I don't like direct questions.

M.I.: For the sake of this discussion, let's say I am.

Plois: So you're the ones trying to kill me?

M.I.: Who do you blame for a death--the sword or the swordsman? Crows are swords--instruments used by someone else for their own reasons.

M.I.: So one of our swords is hired out. He and his employees will do their job or die trying. But the crows as a whole have no bias.

Plois: I'm listening. (the point where I started opening up. I took one of his assassins in with me because he would kill him because he failed killing me. The assassin was a slave to the crow. Long story, I would have eased this new party member just killing this guy. He's a target now that he betrayed the crow. Did I mention that the stories in this game is good stuff?)

M.I.: Ferelden is a busy place: Blight, civil war, other mayhem. Lots of people not getting along.

M.I.: Sometimes they really don't get along. Maybe want to do something about it.

M.I.: The people that handle that sort of thing can get real busy.

Plois: Go on.

M.I.: It takes time to do a good job--pride in your work and all--but customers have expectations.

M.I.: Not many people to turn to if you're short-staffed in some lines of work.

M.I.: So someone that's crossed our path and lived... well, maybe they could help out. Make some coin. Everyone wins.

Plois: How does this work, then?

M.I.: I hand you a scroll. You read it, you learn about someone interesting.

M.I.: If you find out something happens to him, something unfortunate, then if we talk again I give you money for "letting me know." (Translation: If you wack him." The word play might not show in this text. Spelled it out just in case).

M.I.: You don't like what's on the scroll, don't do anything. Maybe he has an accident and someone else tells me all about it.

Plois: Hand me the scroll.

M.I.: There you go. Makes for fine reading.

M.I.: If that's all, luck be to you.

---
So I ended up going around the city, and to different districts cleaning up dead bodies. Not sure if that was this quest or another one. I was sleepy. I met a Duelist though.

Duelist encounter
It was a awesome situation. I guess I shouldn't spoil this, yea. The game is awesome and deep. Get it if you like rpgs, Final Fantasy what? Well maybe Final Fantasy 6.

Last edited by Ploid on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:28 pm 
Random Man

Started a new character, I didn't beat the game with the tank yet. I learned a lot on how to do things that first run though. Felt like I should try the rogue version of the game, and be a human. The game starts different, I'm a prince instead of some minority elvan that other races use for slaves and speak down to (lol). Another reason I started over is because it felt like I cleared the whole world of hostile enemies to fight for fun.

Things don't respawn at all.. So you kinda have to take every fight you can to get a higher level. You also need to pick your attributes, skills, and talents carefully as you level up. You don't want to waste them on abilities that you don't really want.

Also my new dude is a Rogue/Assassin/___ I'm only level 13 now. My other sub will be Duelist (dual wielder and the accuracy can help). He always look pissed. Being an assassin there are new sidequests around the game. I'm doing one where I assassinate people or just sneak in and steal from them. Oh which reminds me...

Hide in this game is the most awesome thing ever! I turn invisible set traps around enemies, get back and throw bombs/poison flasks/etc at them to cause them to walk into my traps. All of this while still being invisible!! This is the best thief in a game I've ever played. I get evasion, assassin damage and enfeeblings, and a lot of other tricks. It may sound broken but you can get owned if hide wear while setting up a trap. There are a lot of different tools at your disposal too, and hide is ready again in like 5-10 seconds! Wat!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:31 pm 
Gabey's Mom

Killer, you dont need a PC to play, it runs pretty well on Xbox. Mef is playing on Xbox and hardly ever experiences slow downs although there are some rarely. The interface is a bit different, you have to use the trigger buttons to bring up the abilities mennu, and it pauses game play so that it can be kinda turn based.

And everything ploid has said is true, the game is really bad ass and a lot of fun, well mef seems to enjoy it and the story is really interesting that I ask him not to play if I cant watch. You should defintely check it out once you finish borderlands.

Ploid, Mefs playing as a ranger/warrior type character atm. He picked Elvaan Dalish so the story is kinda centered around that and the interactions are definitly specific to his character type. I also read the whole game is like this, each story is different and each one can be up to 60-80 hours of game play. They did an amazing job with the game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:20 am 
Ice is strong against fire!!

sounds kinda cool, if I had the extra cash I'd prolly pick it up, wow is boring as fuck and I stopped playing completely, need something to keep me entertained when I'm not out drinking :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:00 am 
Random Man

Nightwing TG member is telling me that archery in his game is tearing things up. He did a 350 dmg shot (that's darn high for this game's damage), so yea next character I do will be a dwarf archer with the pets from ranger specialty.

Ranger's pets are darn strong when you max it out. It's like having a extra party member.

Edit: Screens. Oblivion wish it was this varied.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:43 am 

I've seen this all somewhere..

orite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:33 pm 
Gabey's Mom

Ploid, was that the cult of andraste dragon? Or another one somewhere else? What level were you when you killed it, and what was your strat. Mef is having a hard time with his dragon, slaughters his guys within minutes of engaging it. Did you use the drakescale armor when you went back for revenge?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next