It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:59 pm 
Goblin Smithy

As if you need any more.

This is going to be good. [link; trailer]

...there's no monthly fee.
...the artwork and effects second to none.
...best of all, Square-Enix isn't behind it. This company gives a shit, and communicates.A lot.

Of course, this is all much more exciting if you play Guild Wars: Prophecies, and Eye of the North ($9.99 with free shipping at NewEgg) first.

I initially didn't pick this game up because I thought the name was silly and I was a die-hard Final Fantasy franchise junky since age 8. My, how a company can change with time... and money. So recently, on the advice of Evilmanta, I picked up the last installment for Guild Wars 1, which is a righteous-ending and transition/segueway into Guild Wars 2. The difference in the quality in the cutscenes, artwork, effects, storylines and everything else from Prophecies (the first campaign) to The Eye of the North only gives me more hope for Guild Wars 2. They really seem to care about what they're doing and they're trying to make a good impression.

Considering it'll be free to play, I'm hoping the vast majority of my online friends (none of my real-world friends would touch an mmo with a ten foot pole -_-) will give it a shot with me. From the looks of things now, though, it's going to be a great experience.

The trailer was finally released on the 20th of this month after much anticipation. (Aug. '09), they're reeeally putting a lot of effort into this game, or so I keep hearing.

Last edited by Dragir on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:57 pm 
Goblin Smithy

Interview with Jeff Strain.

Y I CANT EMBED :complain:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:08 pm 
Goblin Smithy

Compare this to the infamous "wut-and-idk" FFXI dev panel interviews.
(skip to about 7:40 if you don't want to see a lot of GW1 gameplay footage; though that's worth watching, too. ;P)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:44 am 
Cock atrice

yeah I was talking to my buddy about this game. I didn't get into part 1 because I was torn between WoW and FFXI. I liked the fact that you could play solo with some bots if you wanted so you didn't have to wait for peeps; not to mention the lack of monthly fee is clutch. The graphics look tight in this game and I read somewhere that the game will be more "open-world" than the last game. If this game shows promise I might have to give it a shot. TBH I'm torn between GW2, FF14, and Diablo 3... Chances are the GW2 and FF14 will just hold my attention to Diablo3 comes out but we'll see....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:04 am 
Goblin Smithy

Don't have to be torn when FFXIV is the only one that wants to slip it's greedy little hand into your pocket every month.
No pay? No play! :bat:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:20 am 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

I can assure you that that looks like massive amounts of homo and I will not play it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:32 am 
Random Man

Everything looks homo to you though sef.

Looks sick btw, can't believe the world they are showing. Looks full of life and color. Kinda remind me of the Avatar trailer, but another planet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:28 pm 
Random Man

You know, this is what I expected ffxi to look like kinda.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:02 pm 
Goblin Smithy

http://www.massively.com/2009/08/20/gui ... -gamescom/

Guild Wars 2 previewed at GamesCom
by Brooke Pilley Aug 20th 2009 at 4:00PM

Guild Wars broke a lot of standard MMO conventions when it first came out. It teetered on the peripheral to the point of nearly not fitting within the established definitions of the genre. ArenaNet was all right with that, and apparently, so were six million players. It doesn't appear that Guild Wars 2 will be completely conforming to the MMO norms either based upon a new GamesCom preview by Eurogamer. It's as if the developers have been taking notes from our Redefining MMOs series (or so we'd like to think)!

If there's one buzzword for the MMO genre in 2009, it's probably "story." Lead Designer, Eric Flannum explains that ArenaNet is throwing their entire bag of tricks at the story in GW2, which will combine a mix of instances and persistent world events. Don't expect to find any exclamation marks in this MMO. But do expect crafting, jumping, underwater exploration, and other welcome additions in the sequel. Of course, PvP remains this franchise's bread and butter and players will be able to test their mettle against each other in instances as well as a new open-world area called The Mists. For all the gory details, head on over to Eurogamer's official preview and don't miss the amazing GW2 trailer. We can't stop watching it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:01 am 
Italian #1

u have only one reason to not play ffxiv.

u'll still be on ffxi :zzz:

Kooyo wrote:
I too will shut up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:30 am 
Random Man

I was expecting ffxiv to look like guildwars 2. Guildwars 2 look so colorful and fantasy like with the art, the place looks alive and awesome. FFXIV screens of the different locations look dull and dead (cave with jagged stalagmites, flat rain field, UE3, etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:48 am 
Goblin Smithy

http://www.guildwarsideas.com/topic/ind ... rsort=done

The people behind this game are so f'ing awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:32 am 
Random Man

Too bad I won't be playing another MMORPG ever, well until the Renolds Act of 2045 which require all people to party, go to sports games, and other fun stuff in the online world. Darn overpopulation and the hard push to get cars off the streets. Skynet didn't help anything either but we're programed to love skynet so they are cool.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:23 am 
Cock atrice

I tried GW1, have to say I didn't care for it at all =\

... at sex, at least. ;oa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:15 am 
Random Man

This

reminds me of this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:06 am 
Goblin Smithy

:beer: Join me, gdi!

http://www.gamezombie.tv/watch.php?v=2690614