Post subject: Re: Proiiiiid
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:03 pm 
lolmithrapld

ImageImageImage

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:30 pm 
Random Man

I know Tyr, it's so awesome. I like the odd games you can find. And browsing games with friends is also a blast. Even the lame levels are amazing when you're with friends. It's sorta like going into a bad store and watching the expression of your friend's face as he/she bust jokes.

Also Safer

Edit: Actually I think this bundle is Europe onry, heh.

Also if I get the beta code, I'm giving it to Oraphin. Only for UP. Screw ora (jk), I bet UP will love this, and Ora will too XD.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:54 pm 
Keyboard Cowboy

Ploid wrote:
I know Tyr, it's so awesome. I like the odd games you can find. And browsing games with friends is also a blast. Even the lame levels are amazing when you're with friends. It's sorta like going into a bad store and watching the expression of your friend's face as he/she bust jokes.

Also Safer

Edit: Actually I think this bundle is Europe onry, heh.

Also if I get the beta code, I'm giving it to Oraphin. Only for UP. Screw ora (jk), I bet UP will love this, and Ora will too XD.

/dryhumpsploidleg :fag:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:58 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

gayest box ever
take that as you will

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:07 pm 
Random Man

And gay never looked so good. I actually like all the stickers and crazyness going on in it. Man I need my Little Big Planet back. Every chance I get, I check to see if it's working on my PS3 again. (goes to check)

Quote:
This content cannot be accessed on your account
(80029513)

Edit: 3 sonics!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:01 pm 
Random Man

Pod Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL7uxjdkC6U

Dev Intro (very cool)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CERewwsGpCc

Uncharted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9X1T06y-M

Rollercoaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krjU6KDr7BU

Greenland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp7zmipta_0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:26 pm 
Random Man

Another Kewl video. Lots of different stuff + a monster with a sword.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40470.html (big video size)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40471.html (small video size)

------
Sackboy Documentary
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39778.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:03 am 
lolmithrapld

I love the whole 'Hitchhikers guide style intro'

how the hell does such a simple game become so god damn addictive!

I WUV IT!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:12 am 
Random Man

Seriously, I like the community. That helps it be addictive. I make levels to see what other people think. Them leaving comments, and rating it, and having people on a forum mention my level and go back to play it is a big hook.

Then on the other side the ability to join any of my friends, and follow anyone around that I'm playing a level with if I want (you're prompted with the choice of following a person if they leave). When you follow them you go into their pod (think moghouse). There are some wacky looking pods out there.

I really wish adding pictures to the game wasn't only possible with the eyetoy and playstation eye. Bah. I also got my game access back.

My first level is "GAFs Mt. Megaton".
There are a lot of enemies that are pretty fast, aggressive, and unpredictable in it. There's some puzzles and punishment for failing them (one is you release a beast that's locked up and he can't be killed).

Man this game is fun. I could spend, uh I spent hours just working on my level. It was fun all the way through. This can be more addictive than FFXI in my opinion. So fast on being able to do stuff, not worrying about collecting the currency in the game, and if you see something you want in a level, you don't have to fight to get it (but you might need some friends, or 4 controllers to get it).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:46 am 
Random Man

Oh Tyriac you must play "Escape From The Torture Chamber" at least once. Lot's of surprises and traps. Not the cookie cutter traps, like dungeon master type traps. Each room as you try to escape has a surprise to it. Walls that look like wood, vanishing to reveal spikes heading for your throat type of things. It also have a story. A ending too. Well put together.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:00 pm 
Random Man

Piano made in LBP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llUkYj_AviU

Man some crazy stuff is being made in this game. A guy made a handheld gun for players. here is his explanation for people that don't have the beta on a forum.

Tntnnbltn wrote:
Took some mobile phone pics...

The body is made of Pink Foam, which floats in mid-air, so it will float there until you pick it up. The weapon is light enough to run with and jump, but being foam it has the tendency to fly into mid-air and out of reach. To counter this I made a weapon spawn switch (simple emitter pops out a weapon when activated).

Here's a close-up of the item from the construction screen. Three main components...

* Projectile: in this case, a golf ball which has been electrified. Make up the projectile first and save it as an item so you can easily call it from the emitter. I tried experimenting with other materials, but the golf ball worked the best for what I wanted. Another thing I tried experimenting with was attached invisible magnetic switches to the projectiles; could be useful for something in the future.

* Emitter: Only function is to shoot out the projectiles. Various things you can fiddle with... I set the fire rate to one projectile per second, linear velocity of ~30, and set to invisible.

* Grip sensor: As soon as the weapon is gripped with R1, it switches on the emitter. Once again, this is set to invisible. Only issue I've had with the grip not working is when you grab the weapon from the wrong end, but I think that's actually because of the emitter (it can't spawn the projectile if you're standing in the way).

Image Image

The real fun happens when you get get packs in the mix. I set it up so that the weapons and projectiles are all on the same layer, which means any other player holding a weapon can be hit by friendly fire. i.e. mid-air dogfights, trying to shoot each other down with golfballs. (The golfball projectiles were too fast for me to catch on camera)

So yeah, that's my weapon. :D It's offered as a reward for completing my little weapons demo, so anyone is free to take it and adapt on it. Would love to see it in a proper level.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:34 pm 
Random Man

Human Body level. Pretty neat and complex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgZm_bnG7_o

Ok day 3:

Don't let just anyone in your pods, or friends that you know like to prank a lot. I ended up having my pod vandalized beyond recognition (leaves all over the front window so I could barely see the planets, and stickers everywhere).

Being able to zip/warp all over the place to enter the next activity is nice. No waiting, or traveling. Everything is bam bam bam.

Don't be a jerk and leave your party as they try to catch up in a level. Well unless it's a competitive level.

Heist is the best level series ever. Rob a bank, and if you're lucky get away. If you're unlucky, get thrown in jail (genius how he set that get thrown in jail thing up).

Anti-matter material is your friend. If you want something to be suspended in mid air connect the material to one of those (map building).

Test your levels a few times before you publish them. Also have a friend or two to also test with you. Listen to what they have to say about possible problems, and things that they like. You can't season soup right if you never bother to taste it.

FUN FUN have FUN FUN FUN. Do FUN FUN FUN, let your none gamer friends try it out and have more FUN. Only have one controller? That sux. Oh hey I just got an idea for another level mwahaha.

Last edited by Ploid on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:55 pm 
Random Man

Now I'm just spamming like the gaming thread. But, a post that I agreed with. Long story short it's about how easy it is to create stuff, share them with a lot of people instantly, and play them with friends instantly. You get quick feedback as users finish your level in the form of a word they use to describe your level, and maybe a comment in the level's comment section. When the game launch you can build them online with friends/strangers too. You can do that now offline.

chubigans wrote:
Ok, story time. Hope this isn't too long. :p

Way back when I was a kid in elementary school, I was a doodler. Still am actually. What I would doodle were these intricate mazes...they had tunnels and spikes all around it, with a start and the finish. I’d write down on the piece of paper how many lives you had, maybe add some 1ups on the page, then I’d give the piece of paper to someone and stand behind them. You had to be precise and draw a line from start to finish...without hitting the spikes or walls.

My friends really liked them...oh how we were easily entertained back then in a private Episcopalian elementary school...and I made hundreds. I even had my own little logo for each of them (seen in the lower right, called MazE).

I had no real idea at the time, but I was essentially making games in concept. And it was a fun little diversion. I was always tinkering with stuff...making Lego contraptions (nothing amazing, just...things, I guess), playing in my sandbox, creating things out of seemingly nothing and having fun. Unlike others though, I never really grew out of that. I still look at Legos and find myself wanting to dig in and build away, but what for? The purpose now isn’t so much to satisfy my needs, but to satisfy my needs that would satisfy others too...maybe like, hey, why ISN’T there a game like this? Someone should make that!

Game Maker 3 was out about the time I was in Junior High, and I was finally able to make games. I was still limited by my art and programming skills, of which I have none, but I was actually creating. No, I couldn’t do everything I wanted to, but I was still able to make games that others would be able to enjoy. I fed off the criticism and comments...I still have a printing of some choice comments way back in 2002 that made me feel good. I don’t think this was a way of feeding my ego; it was a way of confirming that my hours of work weren’t just for my benefit...they would be for others too. And it kept me going.

I’ve dabbled in a few other areas. Journalism was fun, as I wrote a few articles for IGN and was the official UMD reviewer for a few sites. Animation was interesting, as it got me a college scholarship and gave me the drive to make about three eight minute shorts, but I came to realize I was working for months on something that a person might slightly enjoy for a few minutes, then not come back to. I kept coming back to game making.

Oddly enough, I’m not much of a game player. My Xbox gamerscore was laughable, I rarely play online, and much of the games I buy (Half-Life 2 eps, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War PSP and many others) go unfinished. And yet I can’t imagine not making games for a living.

Game making is a culmination of everything I love; making things out of nothing, having other people enjoying it, getting feedback and comments, and maybe even make a few bucks off of it. It’s a long process, but in the end it can be worth it, and I want to make it a career. But it’s far from easy.

LittleBigPlanet makes it easy. I am gobsmacked, awestruck, stupefied, everything you can think of, I’m it. As a game, I was anticipating it but not really hyped all that much. But then I got the beta, and went through a few hours of tutorials. Then I set out to create.

I had some wild ideas a few weeks ago...say, what would happen if I was flying around and had to rescue people from a burning mine? That’d be cool. But even with Game Maker, which cuts down the game making process about 75%, I’d need the art, the engine, the audience, the sounds, and the time. So, it would just be that...an idea.

Unbelievably...no, wait. UNBELIEVABLY, LittleBigPlanet is a door to dreams I never thought I’d be able to conceive. I was able to draw some sketches at work, fire up the PS3 in the evening, put in a good twelve to fourteen hours, and be out not only with a finished product, but the feedback and comments to go along with it. I’m able to watch others play my level, even play with them myself. I can create nearly anything, do anything. I’m no longer tied down by my limitations as an artist or programmer...because LBP has all that ready to go. I’m free.

I don’t think I’m the best LBP creator out there...far from it judging from some of the levels I’ve seen...but I can safely say I’ll be among the most passionate out there once it’s released. I simply shake my head in disbelief that I finally have no limits to my creativity, aside from what little creativity I have currently, heh. This game is the tool I’ve been waiting for, and I didn’t even realize it until a few hours ago after playing these last few days.

I don’t know how review outlets will score LBP, or if it’ll sell thousands, or if it’ll die down by next year, or if everyone will enjoy the title as much as others do. What I do know is that LBP is the most finely crafted piece of game making I’ve ever played, and that this game marks the first time in history where the line of game making and game playing has been completely blurred.

This is the best title I’ve played in my life.

Edit to prevent bump:
Another image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:43 am 
Random Man

This guy is doing live feed of the beta. So just tell him where to go and what to do and he'll try to do it. Better than not being in the beta.

http://www.blogtv.com/People/crazybros

Ha he just created a circle and put the sonic jet in the inside of it and did loops around the circle like a roller coaster.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:06 pm 
Random Man

Sorry for posting and not editing. I booted up LBP again, and the first level I played was a JP level. I figured, "They're JP, this level will pwn all kinds of faces". So when I entered it was kinda empty at the start, so I thought "Oh man just wait till I move the screen a bit. My face will be pwned". hen I see some anime girl waving some kind of white plant with green tips. Not sure the name it's called. In front of the anime girl (made with the game editor not a picture, it's well done I might add. The hair looks like hair and such) is a red button. I jumped over the button and saw the game's end that tally up the score. So I figured, "man when I step on this button I'm so getting owned".

So the waving anime girl is sitting there, and I step on the button. The anime girl stopped waving. That's it...

lol :lolhammer: :fag: Going to look for better JP levels. This was probably some test.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:46 pm 
Random Man

Here I go again, posting another level. It's the winner of some kind of school's level design contest using little big planet. Shadow of the Colossus themed.

Shadow of the LittleBigColossus
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40734.html

Quote:
Winners of the Parson's LittleBigPlanet 24-Hour Game Jam, Team Good Sportsmanship took first prize with this custom level reminiscent of one of the PS2's greatest hits.

BTW 24 hours is a short time to spend on a level. In this thread there was another entry to this contest that showed the building process in time-lapse. They aren't using the beta code and have more tools at their disposal. The Little big Colossus level in the beta is better though.