It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PS3 finding a cure!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:19 am 
Random Man

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Folding@Home was released in a recent firmware update for ps3. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases.

The first day of having this program to run on PS3's around the world the combined teraFLOPs of matched that of Windows PCs combined efforts since 2000 when the project began.

1PetaFLOP is going to happen

Fox News reported F@H on PS3 on TV "PlayStation used to help fuel research." (Under Technology in the upper right side of the screen. It's a video you can't link to :\)
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Mar21/ ... s,00.html#

Ken Kutaragi, April 2005 - Interview in Nikkei Electronics

Quote:
The network of today still remains a means to access information. The time will come, however, when the network itself becomes a computer. So far, we have pursued how to improve the performance of a single chip, but we are now becoming aware of the limits that loom there. Once you suppose that the network is a computer, what you have to do is to improve the computing performance of the network as a whole. This is s paradigm shift. Be it on-chip, on-board, or on-network, chips will be infinitely connected -- and that is what this "Cell" is all about.

He wasn't crazy after all.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/fun.games/ ... index.html

The dots are other PS3s. There are PS3s in places you wouldn't expect them to be in. Brazil, africa, Islands, etc.

Post subject: Re: PS3 finding a cure!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:54 am 
Random Man

Quote:
Oh the irony... In an attempt to cure diseases unsuspecting PS3 owners create a giant CELL grid to fold proteins but the grid itself becomes self aware. Immediately
"Cell-Skynet" merges with all existing iPods and becomes Cell-Net!

A Terminator like future becomes reality. The tattered remains of humanity forge alliances across all nationalities in a futile attempt to not end up inside a "matrix" heating device.

On the upside, life inside the matrix is deemed more pleasant than under the dictatorship of George Bush. Americans vote 80 to 20 to remain inside the matrix as comfortable slaves eating steak.

The future, IT BEGINS...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:39 pm 
Peaches 'n Cream

PLAYSTATION THREE SUX!

You cannot chip them like PS1's... Omg <3 my Ps1.

Edit: So I found out today that they are £425 where I work... STAFF DISCOUNT GOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOOOOOO

That'll be £375 plzgod.

/win

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:06 pm 
lolmithrapld

Motorstorm rocks, graphics are sweet on normal tv, cant begin to imagine the difference hd would make!
Resistance of man is ok - still cant find a game to compete with socom tho [but thats just me]
Formula 1 looks good, tho when the sun is setting its a bitch and a half to see where the hell the road is LOL Mr. Green

Tempted to DL lemmings, cos i cant resist the olde classics

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:58 pm 
Random Man

Tyriac can Europe people play NA people in Resistance? There's a big group at Gaming-age forums that play a lot. The devs of the game even join the group and put together events to try to see if anyone can beat them (the developers). They also added a lot of stuff and maps are coming soon. It's a good place holder until Socom PS3 for me lol.

How is motor storm online?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:31 pm 
lolmithrapld

Our games are on EU servers only /sigh
motorstorm is fine online, i am sooo looking forward to the next socom addition ps2 but hearing its ps3 compatable and getting our old maps back, Seals on Fishhook for the challenge woot] i still think S2 > S3 the comms on s3 are as crap as they were on s1!!! whats that all about huh Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:13 pm 
Better than Kooyo

;o

i love technology so much~

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:20 pm 
Eden Alumni

I lost interest in reading all that. :<

So here's your consolation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:08 pm 
Random Man

We didn't get to 1pedaFLOP because points were continually being robbed from PS3 count. Something about people having to keep it running to maintain the processing count. After someone do up to 2-3 work units (1 = like 5-6 hours >.>) people would log out. The whole fun in it was getting that 1 petaFLOP (not saying helping should be fun, but it was a bonus). After getting robbed a lot of people stopped and started playing games/turn the console off/look at movies/etc.

It was fun, almost had it. Whenever my ps3 go into screen saver mode it's folding though so i'll slowly help. Don't really have to turn ps3 off. It's silent and keep cool. Well fan speed 3 is a bit noticeable but not much.

I just got into putting videos on my ps3 now. Got all the episodes of FLCL in one file lol. Also those AMVs Watkins posted in the old threads via Google video and the save to psp thing. Need more things to store on it. Was thinking about Naruto since it seemed like a good show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:22 pm 
Keyboard Cowboy

Naruto is pwn until it gets to the filler. Then it sux balls. The new Shippuden is awesome tho. And is only gonna get better. As i read the manga i kno ^^. Bleach also PWNS. See my sig Razz Kon is awesome ^^

And dam me having more anime on my 2nd HDD than i do stuff on my 1st XD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:12 am 
Tunnel Worm

Bleach pwns till you get to the filler
episodes as well XD. But the fillers
start at like episode 70 and end around
10..8, i think? Yay, for JP Bleach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:21 am 
Keyboard Cowboy

At least the Bleach filler is a partially watchable saga XD The Naruto fiiler was jus pure shyte -.- I mean WTF was tht ep about noodles for FFS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:56 pm 
Back Sheep

I honestly couldn't get into Bleach... I tried it, I have the entire first and second season just sitting on my HD. Naruto on the other hand, caught me and was fun to watch... and then the fillers happened and I dropped that series like a bad habit. Now I'm back to Naruto with the new episodes and willing to give Bleach a new go because of everyone's fanboyism. Hurray for Narutards!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:04 pm 
Keyboard Cowboy

Bleach is awesome wen it gets going. The saga happening atm is gonna be dam gewd. ^^ And yes i read the manga for tht as well XD