It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:08 pm 
Black Thumb

That Raiden/Vamp sword/dagger FMV was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:33 pm 
Black Thumb

Just got onto Act 4. All of this stuff seems pretty awesome so far. I absolutely love the octo-camo. Once I got that hood my disguises just got straight gangster. I use it a lot more than I thought I would, and it works out quite awesomely for the most part.

POTENTIAL SPOILER: Naomi, that fkn hoe. I totally wanted to do her when her tits are hanging out of her shirt. She's totally gonna get my snake if she dis'aspectz me again like that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:59 pm 
Black Thumb

fucking awesome. just got onto act 4. BROUGHT BACK SOME MEMORIES SNEAKING BACK INTO THE WAREHOUSE.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:52 am 
Random Man

Yea man, Act4 brings back some good old times. Never felt nostalgic like this in a game. I went all over that first area and the little sound clips really drove the whole experience home. Great stuff.

Edit: Oh! I forgot, I'm playing through again, it's 3am, and I'm next to the tv paused getting ready for act two heh. I'm now on Big Boss Hard difficulty. Now I'm actually using the MK II and understanding how useful this thing is for scouting the area, and clearing paths effectively. It's a darn good aid robot. It can distract guards to clear your way by knocking on a wall, it can cut switches for you (lights type of switch on a wall), and it can disarm traps and claymore mines. Oh and also pick up weapons around the field safely to avoid you being exposed. This thing deserve a reward for being man's best friend, and I want one lol.

Also when you're talking to your Psychological aid via codec with video, shake the controller :lolhammer:

When you have a texture loaded on snake's otocamo during a cutscene you can remove it during it by shaking the controller. Just like you'd do if you want to remove it during the game.

I felt old when I didn't remember the 5 digit password :wall:

War has changed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:46 pm 
Random Man

Found the ingame camera

I took pictures of PMCs that I forced to cry with crying bullets, but its day out and I need to be awake in a few hours. Posting, uploading, and posting from the playstation with a controller takes too long.

Crying bullets making these PMC soldiers cry to death.

Stealth in south america.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:53 pm 
Random Man

Updated the screenshots post. Play this game first on normal, then second time through on Big Boss hard. Thats the best way to play it. You use your tools better and most likely have to be stealthy. It's better he second time through that way since th first was a lesson in a way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:33 am 
Random Man

Btw there are still ghosts in Shadow moses. Ok I better spoiler all of this and don't click the image links if you didn't get past or two act 4.

lots of pictres
http://i31.tinypic.com/30mtopk.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/smarrd.jpg

For a bunch of great pictures of the game, and good action shots that people took go here (MGS screen shot camera thread)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 302&page=3

An example (not much of a spoiler I hope) Sorry guys but if you was worried about spoilers you would be on act 7 by now.

You can only see the ghosts if you look at the picture in the game, not when you export them to the ps3's hdd picture area on the xmb, or when you upload them to the internet/trade them with people on your flist.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:13 am 
Black Thumb

Just got done with act 4 ;/

Haven't really had tons of time to play since I got it, been watching every CS which I've learned adds on a lot to this game.

EDIT: lmfao ploid, I forgot the 5 digit password also. Had the numbers right but got the 2nd two out of order :<

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:16 pm 
Black Thumb

It may now be said that Solid Snake is the greatest hero in video game history.

np.

Done. Gonna run back through it a bit on a harder difficulty. One of the greatest endings in video game history as well. omg I wish they hadn't made this the final one ;/

I hate people who hate Raiden also. Anyone who bitched about him before will totally revamp your opinion of him if you play this game. He was badass enough in MGS2 and everyone was like "where the fk is Snake" but Raiden again makes the haters believe.

Really is a benchmark for gaming excellence. All games should play like this. If you have a PS3 and have not yet picked this up, you're doing yourself a horrible disservice. Go now and buy this game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:38 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

I used my solid snake on your mom.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 pm 
Random Man

Man what the crap. This guy is a robot. Foxhound rank on big boss hard difficulty.

For a reference. Shoot I can't find a reference. Well I'll try to fill you in. For the 0's he has no kills? 0 restarts, 0 continues, 0 alerts, 48 saves, and 11X something restorative items (rations, regen drinks, and ramen noodles). Maybe one of them isn't true (I think saves is the double digit number).

Take a look at this in game Nano commercial for civilians in mgs4 Vedder. I'm betting everyone used them. Even babies, remember Tyriac saying she used some smell doll to keep her kids from crying?
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35135.html?type=

Nanos!!! Keep your baby from needing you ever! Auto feed, no need for entertaining! Nanos will even teach your babies to be geniuses in no time (Sunny?)! Nanos!

The Octocamo commercial (Octopus)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35126.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:25 pm 
Black Thumb

First time through on Naked Normal and my highest rank was eagle rank for headshots. I wish I had taken SS's of my stuffs but it wasn't very impressive, I've been off the Metal Gear scene for quite a while now and I had to get back into it somewhat before I tried anything crazy. That dude is crazy. I hear there's a way to get through the game without doing the boss fights at all either. Someone wanna enlighten me?

The only gripe I have with this game is the controller sensitivity. I'm sure from playing CoD4 (fast paced as fk) that I was expecting something a little faster as far as crosshair movement but I'm constantly finding myself trailing behind targets while trying to shoot at them. Like I said, I'm gonna run through the game on a harder difficulty and try to not get noticed and stuff like that.

I tried the multiplayer out a little bit and it's quite fun. I had lots of fun with the team deathmatch cause the maps are all basically perfect for this type of fighting. So much fun climbing to the top of ladders and popping people with Assault/Sniper Rifles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:55 am 
Random Man

Man I'm so scared of the internet people. What the crap man, how the heck do they pull this stuff off. :suspect: I'd try it but having to start the whole game over if I'm caught seems painful. My hats off to them, for I will never get this rank... Big Boss Extreme mode too. AI's sniff you out like a dog in that.

I finally finished this with no kills and I thought that was an accomplishment..

======Second play through the game, Big Boss Hard mode==========
[Eagle Rank: Headshots (I was bound to get this rank, due to the effectiveness of the tranquilizers when you shoot people in the head, since this was a no kill run for me.)]
Total Play time = 18:19:56
Continues = 27
Alert Phases = 73
Kills = 0
Recovery items used = 61
Weapon Types Procured = 61
Flashbacks Watched = 260
Special Items Used = Not Used

How the crap do people doing these flawless runs not use recovery items and don't kill people. The chase sequences require a kill with lethal weapons if you don't want to pop meds... Crazy. I'd like to see some videos of these flawless runs. If they don't summon a steel bubble shield I will be amazed. Who knows, maybe I suck. Time to play again, love the game still.

I hope they make Zone of The Enders 3 after playing the mech parts, and seeing metal gear ray cause havoc in a particular act. I love metal gear ray, and metal gear rex. Knowing that metal gear ray was built to be the anti metal gear rex weapon due to rex being mass produced on the black market the fight against ray was pretty easy. Ray had so many weapons. Ray had good defense and agility though. The arm shield was darn slick (ray).

Edit: Also since it moved so fast in the game, a picture of the Mt. Snakemore (spoiler)
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x75/ ... 9/MtSM.jpg

Edit2: (darn good read and recap on Snake's history)

CrushDance wrote:
My views as a Metal Gear newcomer upon completion of this awe-inspiring "game". Kojima's thoughts, the controls for those not used to the series, the meaning of Snakes existence as a soldier and more. In a nutshell, Metal Gear as defined by one not used to the series.

Calling to the night. Metal Gear Saga.

I just am at a loss for words to convey my feelings for this game. I’ve watched movies such as The Shawshank Redemption which impacted me greatly emotionally and made me sit back and think “What did I just watch?”, “What did those characters represent?”, “What did the director want me to take from this?”. I’ve read books, listened to music, which all conveyed the same powerful and thought provoking images that have lasted with me ever since.

Never did I think a game would do the same for me until I finished the story of this one, old, battle worn snake.

I’m a Metal Gear newcomer, having only previously played MGS2 for about 30 minutes on my neighbors PS2 years ago. I didn’t have any interest in the series and really didn’t understand the big hype around it and MGS4. It was those trailers shown of the game that caught my attention. The trailers that shows a broken old man struggling across a battlefield to finally make amends for the actions of his past. A past he had no control over from the beginning.

Some people argue that the Metal Gear story is convoluted and far fetched due to rather extreme abilities and situations that occur within the history of the series. I too believed the same, until after playing subsequent acts of MGS4 that I finally got it: This isn’t supposed to be a real life game, it is Kojima’s take on the world we live in, the what if’s of tomorrow and truly gives us an in-depth look into his thoughts on what war really is, the soul of war, peace, love, hate, life, death, afterlife...

Through all of the previous games players have controlled Solid Snake and taken orders without question. Soldier. There is no such thing as “free thinking” or personal choice. A solider must obey orders given to him or her by their superiors in darkness, an ever extending branch of ideologies, and politics. No where is this more evident than in the 4th installment where it’s revealed that Snake himself a spy of spies, soldier of soldiers himself was in the dark about what his previous missions were really about and the forces behind those commands.

It is here that Snake utters the line: “I’m no hero, never was. I’m just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.” To who was he a hero? Who were the people congratulating him for his sacrifices? Snake understands at the moment what it means to be a soldier, to not have control over your own destiny...to not create your own destiny, but to rather sacrifice for the ambitions of others. In the end, he was nothing more than a tool. Created via cloning to mimic Big Boss and become another weapon, his fate it seems, was sealed from the moment the forces around him laid out the path of his existence in the lab all those years ago. To be a killer and enforce their laws to further their goals. There was no running away or challenging of his fate, he was brought up and trained to be an enforcer of the law of others, the key in the lock.

Suffering from accelerated aging, contaminated with FOXDIE, and an overpowering threat in the form of Liquid Snake, The Patriots and all the factions in between, Snake’s fate is sealed. He continues to smoke in ever increasing amounts as test after test reveals that his life has, and was created and dated to expire at a set time. No longer was it about him just “surviving” all the forces out to extinguish him, but rather to finally create his own orders and commands. As Liquid attempted to seize control of the world itself, Snake aspired to finally seize control of his own destiny. If he was to die anyway, he’d put every last bit of his soul into the fight. As he put it himself: “Survival...is just survival” There has to be a purpose to the life given to you a reason to exist...the same reason The Patriots therefore placed their will on.

To change. Like a Snake.Spoilerish

While the story itself is very well thought out in terms of tying up loose ends and forcing players to sit back after finishing the title and digest all that they’ve seen. The game play has been criticized as being cumbersome and or “clunky”. I went into this game expecting the worst and horribly complicated controls, but within 1 hour of playing I’d already mastered CQC(Close Quarter Combat) and able to engage in stealth as well as fire fights when the need arose.
The simplicity of the controls and the wide range of choices given to the player to accomplish their task almost makes it feel like a different game every time you play, no longer are you relegated to once control scheme to move ahead. A simple press of the L1 button allows Snake to draw his weapon, using the right analog stick allows him to direct fire and tapping or holding R1 fires the equipped weapon. I was apprehensible about it at first and was literally scared and spent most of my time crawling on the ground while avoiding conflict altogether as it can get very hectic at times. But within the hour I had mastered the controls and was able to move from point A to B silently and without being detected, holding enemy forces up to steal ammo, weapons, and other items. All of this was made even simpler by the OctoCamo, a device which automatically copied the surroundings Snake was near to in order to hide himself for detection.
It made me smile. I really felt like an experienced soldier.

Pushing onward I ended up in another continent and once again was thrust into the thick of battle against my will, and Snakes. Forced to fight a traumatized innocent vicitim of war who utilized a robotic suit similar to Snakes OctoCamo which also allowed her to blend in with the surroundings made for a very startling and on your toes battle. Upon her defeat I(Snake) received a call from a man named Drebin who pursued the art of weapon laundering as just another means to make money in the war economy of the game. Following a short dialogue between Snake and Drebin, he explained to Snake about the tragedies of the woman’s past and thanked Snake for having freed her of the terrors in her mind.
I pushed forward and in a surprise call met up with Raiden. An ally of Snakes who’d gone missing since the last game. He offered me advice on locating the kidnapped Naomi Hunter who had been taken by the PMC shortly before the aforementioned battle between Snake and Laughing Octopus.

Follow the tracks.Spoilers

And so I did. I fired up my night vision via the Solid Eye system which allowed Snake to view data on targets, locate items easier and much more. I wandered around for about an hour following the tracks in the dirt that branched off every once in a while. And then I heard it. Naomi was calling for me in a nearby cabin. I was gleeful and congratulated myself for finding her so fast, to my utter shock and amusement, it was not Naomi calling me, but rather a taped message designed to lure me into the cabin where I was ambushed by a few enemy troops. Making short work of them I regained my original location and wondered why the steps stopped there. I got a call from Raiden. “Don’t just look at the footprints, but also the size, depth, shape. Think. Are they consistent with her weight?, size?” In my rush to find her, I’d totally overlooked the fact that the shoe size had changed drastically at a fork in the road before.
And I laughed.

spoilers ended

The game was filled with all these little things and so much more that I and others have yet to still discover, of that I am sure. It’s not just the fact that the game is filled with rich dialogue and detailed cut scenes that move the story onward, but the little things that really make it seem like you’re watching a movie or some grand story taking place. In most other games you can quickly break away from the immersion after a while as you begin to repeat the same tasks with an ever static environment.
Guns of the Patriots feels alive. It’s a game that truly pushed the term “organic game play” as situations can change on the dime and segments that really force you to think or have extreme patience to succeed push you to your limits. There are times where it’s pitch black, others where it is bright, grass, water, snow, fire, cold, heat. And most importantly of all, these are just set pieces, they all affect your game play and Snake.

There are times where I’d feel bad for him and for example give him some instant hot noodles to warm him up, or use a med pac to relive his aches and pains. You really connect with the character and at times it goes beyond just looking at him and the others as 3D figures, but rather living breathing people. When he coughed and dryly asked for a smoke, I felt tears in my eyes, when he was beaten and bruised I felt vengeful, when he was healthy and happy I felt happy as well.

For a time the “uncanny valley” effect has been said to lead to the halt of graphics in games and or create unsettling games. But MGS4 has proven that it’s not just about computing power that makes a game attractive, but also EMOTIONS and the ability to create an attachment between players and the characters that inhabit that virtual world. It’s a game that grows with you and doesn’t just guide you along.
No graphics could make me feel such a wide variation of emotions as I and Snake both went down this long road. If Kojima and his team can continue to make such powerful and landscape changing games such as these, I don’t care what they make. People may argue about story, graphics, sound and so forth for years to come, we may compare games across the board in sales or flash. But this is truly a breakout game for the industry. Nowhere else have such emotions been recreated and so masterfully as with Metal gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots.

The best is yet to come indeed.

Edit 342: Do not CQC Frogs (aka Haven Troopers, aka Sassy Lady Ninja Soldiers) on expert :lolhammer:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:29 am 
Random Man

Wow this vintage rifle is actually neat. When you shout it you'll have a 33% chance of creating a tarnado of items.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkvs9za6VdE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:51 am 
Random Man

The MGS4 Database. A free application coming to psn that you can download. May not need MGS4*, I'm not sure yet.

From the PS Blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/18/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-database-on-the-way/comment-page-1/#comment-72496

Quote:
The MGS4 Database is a free, downloadable interactive application that contains the official knowledge base of everything that is Metal Gear, reaching all the way back to the very beginning of the franchise. Including complete storylines, character profiles, relationship diagrams, and much more! The MGS4 database is a great way to catch up for someone new to Metal Gear, as well as a useful resource for any veteran of the series, with complete official details on every aspect of the intricate Metal gear lore.

The MGS4 Database also contains a special feature – if you want to make use of the database, but have not yet fully played through MGS4 yet and are worried about spoilers – all MGS4 spoilers are “blacked out” until you’ve beaten MGS4. Give it a try!

But that’s not all, within MGS4, check out the EXTRAS option of the main menu (if you haven’t already). There’s already new, free downloadable content available for the game - with new camouflage and a new music track for the in game iPod. There will be more forthcoming, so be sure to check this often!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:47 pm 
Norwegian Bombshell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKo3ruLT9V0&feature=related
i cried :fag:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:06 am 
Goblin Smithy

stupid vamp omf keeps getting up DX (lol playing it rite meow)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:50 pm 
Random Man

I remember thinking if I kill him so many times his body wouldn't be able to heal itself. Then I started trying to give him a man hug. War has changed. And you're close to one of my favorite things in this game :eyecrazy:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:00 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

http://objectiveministries.org/zounds/gaming.html#mgs4

LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:19 pm 
Italian #1

ItsSeflol wrote:
http://objectiveministries.org/zounds/gaming.html#mgs4

LOL

greatest retardness ever

Kooyo wrote:
I too will shut up

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next