It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:43 pm 
Random Man

I'm in the market for good gaming headphones. Are the 5.1 headphones any good? Do they really work vs a nice speaker system? I'm a noob so what port do they usually come with? I'm looking at wireless sets, and don't want another DVI to HDMI cable blooper (my laptop didn't have dvi out so I was stuck with a 16 ft dvi to hdmi cable). Not to mention my horrible attempts to upgrade my pc years ago.

Since i'm sure some of you have a pair since you're all pc gamers, I figured I'd ask the pros. I want it for my personal PS3. Don't really want to hook up a sound system in my room, and it could be good as it probably won't disturb the sleep.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:23 pm 
Keyboard Cowboy

imo i don't see how that would ever work. 5.1 means 5.1 channels (.1 = sub) and since headphones only have 2 channels I believe it to be BS. They may have more than one speaker in each cup but they are still only on the left and right side of your head. o.O

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:10 am 
Random Man

I did a bit more reasearching and found this. Yea seems like multiple speakers and tricks. I don't mind if they're tricks as long as it work though.

Surround-Sound Anywhere
Rather than relying on a single speaker to provide 180 degrees of sound field, the AK-R8 headphones have discrete speakers to handle the front, center and rear sound positions.

Subwoofer
On top of these speakers rests the large subwoofer which, in addition to handling the duties of low frequency contents, actually vibrates within the headphone shell giving the user a whole new dimension to their listening/gaming experience.

These are the ones the above is from. It's a bit cheap at $101 though so I would look for something better if all this works. There are even 7.1 but I think i'd need some special receiver for those (would be nice to have for MGS4). This also seems to be a wired headset. Going to go for wireless.

Edit: yep wired.
I don't understand any of those things in the pack. It seems like there is a fiber optics cable so that would mean at least this pair can work with the ps3. I only have one hdmi port, and no hdmi receiver to split the sound and vid due to my one port. Doubt my tv's optical out would be good (cheap tv). I'm going to take my time with this buy. Might just get a psp and forget about watching movies and wanting big sound in my room.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:16 am 
Ice is strong against fire!!

wow, those look bad-ass

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:18 am 
Random Man

You think they're good? Cords probably isn't problematic for pc gamers though. I sit back on my bed or big chair in my room far away from the tv. These new cordless controllers got me too spoiled on wireless.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:22 am 
Ice is strong against fire!!

I honestly wouldn't know, but they look like they would be pretty awesome

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:36 am 
Crustache

honestly, i wouldn't bother unless you get them wired.

the wireless technology has improved a lot in the last few years, but for high quality speakers it's just not there yet. if you are gonna spend big, get something which you know will last long and will work well (aka: wired)

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:37 am 
Keyboard Cowboy

No matter how many speakers they stick in each can, They are only on the left and right side of your head. No matter how much they BS, it is impossible to realistic create surround sound without literally surrounding you with speakers. :suspect:

P.S if someone bought me a wire-less speaker system, I would instantly sell it and get a wired one :P

And yes I am anal about sound. :fag:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:20 pm 
Black Thumb

I just use a USB headset on PS3, the Logitech headset or whatever. Sound is still coming out of my TV, but I have in-game voicechat running through my headset so I can keep it filtered. Really helpful in team-based FPS like CoD4. Communication in that game is so clutch.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:35 pm 
Random Man

For voice chat I have the Jabra bluetooth earpiece. The mic on the earphones won't be used by .. oh wait I can't use the bluetooth if I have big earmuffs on. heh. Guess I'll use the jabra for my cell phone and look like a tool.