It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New anime thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:15 am 
Random Man

New anime thread first post with flashy anime pictures, and very well put together text.

[red x]

[cool picture]

[awesome action picture]

[big explosion]

[small kid that dressed a bit too much like an adult]

[goku picture]

Ok now that that's out the way can anyone recommend a cool anime for me? I like stupid amounts of action and chaos. I like cowboy bebop, akira, and I don't recall anything else (not much exposed to anime and dragonball is cool when it's not dragging the story out to buy time). I like suspense anime also and death note is stinkin awesome. I hear a anime named Monster is better with the suspense and horror. So any suggestions? I don't look at much tv but when I get a chance I'm glued to a death note episode currently. Any good anime collections on blu ray?

(edit: Thanks for reminding me of bleach Ora. I downloaded the naruto movies and also lost interest because of that. This naruto S. seems like it might be different. I'll look it up). I ran out of space in my last post*

Post subject: Re: New anime thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:48 am 
Keyboard Cowboy

Have u seen Blood+ Ploid. I <3'd tht.

Tokko is a good short series. If u likes the whole chaos thing XD

One Piece is pwn as well. And i am guessing u watch Bleach & Naruto Shippuden.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:22 am 
Random Man

Nope never seen the entirety of any of those. Watched about 2 random episodes of bleach but it only came on during weekends on adult swim so I couldn't really keep up with it and get interested. I seen a tournament marathon of Naruto that was awesome but after that marathon (i only saw about 4 episodes) I also couldn't keep up as it was on randomly to me and the one episode I did catch was like a whole thing about some guy trying to stay safe from his brother, or people that wanted to kill his brother (I guess they were stretching the anime due to the manga type things like DBZ). Blood+ I saw one episode on adult swim late night and couldn't tell if it was good (caught it in the middle or near end). It was weekend also I think. I forgot to mention FLCL, I recorded all of that. Loved how random it was (being Random Man and all). I will look into bleach as you seem to like it a lot and I'm sure there is fighting in that. I just get unlucky with the random episodes I see on tv.

And thanks for reminding me of bl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:04 am 
Better than Kooyo

if you want a funny anime, i jus finished watchin Azumanga Daioh .. its only 26 episodes long, but each one is super hilarious D:
only thing that sux about it was that it was too short.. wish they made more episodes...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:21 pm 
Cock atrice

Needs more Mecha Anime.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:10 pm 
Back Sheep

Comedy
- Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (Watch the first episode last. Very witty comedy.)
- Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei (Morbid comedy)
- Yakitate!! Japan (Comedy about bread, and yes, it's good!)
- Ichigo Mashimaro (Cute girls doing cute things, best way I can describe it; funny.)<- imo better than Azumanga Daioh
- Great Teacher Onizuka (Ex-thug becomes a teacher)
- Welcome to the NHK (uh, yea, a hikikomori tries to integrate back into society)

Action
- Black Lagoon Season 1&2 (A salary man turned mercenary)
- Samurai Champloo (If you liked Cowboy Bebop, this anime is for you)
- Gunslinger Girl (Government sponsored brainwashed assassin children)
- Utawarerumono (About a war between humanoids)

Mecha
- Eureka Seven (boy meets girl. Very good character development and original mecha ideas)
- Heroic Age (War between races in space)
- Full Metal Panic Season 1&2 (ex-soldier boy works for merc group)
- Rahxephon (Not-quite-as-emo as Evangelion)

Drama
- Monster (Wow.)
- Darker than Black (Eh, unique people with unique powers)
- Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (Get the tissues)
- Paranoia Agent (Uh, yea, can't really explain this one)
- Shingetsutan Tsukihime (Vampire teams up with a guy who can see the lines of life)
- Elfen Lied (Going against my better judgement but it's still entertaining. Lots of blood. I mean it.)

Those should get you started. I think a couple are licensed, but I have everything here except Darker than Black on one of my HD, I just threw a bunch down which I give my seal of approval. I have more on my HD, just can't think of any that jumps to mind at the moment. I'll go check later what else I have that's good. All actions scenes are guaranteed to be cheap budget free. (no still action pics with a black screen with a flashy line to represent a sword strike/punch/magic power). And no retarded "I'M CHARGIN' MA LASOR! while you talk shit" for 4 fucking episodes (Naruto, DBZ). And the annoying bitches are kept to a minimum :wall:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:08 pm 
Goblin Smithy

Excel Saga if you like the most random things happening for no reason. Does a parody on the whole Japanese anime culture thing.

http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?type=anime

Here's a list that you can't really go wrong with of the better anime series out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:12 pm 
Eden Alumni

Trigun
Hellsing
Gungrave
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion

That's the extent of my anime-ness. :boing:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:58 pm 
Black Thumb

Anime

Why

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:19 pm 
Old Lady Hater

My top 3 are Deathnote, Blood+ (watch original movie too) and Welcome to the NHK (pretty amusing but vaguely depressing in parts too).

One I want to watch because it just looks so nice is Ergo Proxy. The animation looks very pretty. I started this a few months back but got side tracked by Blood+. Bleach bored the hell out of me after a while (around ep 40+, Idk). Everyone raves about it but I don't like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:50 pm 
Goblin Smithy

I watch Ergo Proxy. Umm, it was kinda weird but interesting enough for me to finish it. I ended up liking it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:30 pm 
Keyboard Cowboy

U missed Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu. Tht shit is pwn comedy anime. Esp when he makes the rugby team ^^

I have WAY too much anime back @ home. Started filling an external HDD here. Just started watching Darker Than Black. So far is real good.

O and as Xeph said watch Blood: The Last Vampire as well as Blood+. Both are awesome.

O and Ris to get around the long ass fight crap in naruto, i read the manga first ^^. I jus like watching it as well to see it done as animation. lol. There is gonna be some awesome stuff in shippuden soon tho O_O As there is in bleach ^^

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:37 pm 
Not getting laid by Kreuz

I hate Mech Anime so much.

Black Cat is the only anime you'll ever need though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:55 pm 
Juggernaut Search & Rescue

wotteh Love Hina.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:25 pm 
Random Man

wowowow looks like I'm set for life. And yea safer thanks, the shorter the series the better I think. Would take too long to see the end otherwise. Thanks guyz wow where do I start hah.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:49 pm 
lolSamurai

superfob wrote:
I watch Ergo Proxy. Umm, it was kinda weird but interesting enough for me to finish it. I ended up liking it.

ergo proxy.... was that the one where finds out he the "angel of death" or somthing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:26 pm 
Goblin Smithy

Short series:
Read or Die OVA (watch the TV series too if you like it)
Hoshi no Koe (short film, made almost entirely by one person)

Long series:
Hunter X Hunter
12 Kokuki (wish it was longer)
Berserk
Full Metal Panic (watch it from the beginning so you understand character dynamics)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Hajime no Ippo
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou
Hachimitsu to Clover
Seikai no Senki
Tenshi na Konamaiki

Risbyn's recommendations are good as well although I haven't really watched all the Mecha ones (don't care for them). Didn't include One Piece / Naruto even though I like them because their both way to drawn out.

Hard to think of any good short series off hand. I have about 1TB of anime, and another 6-8 binders full of CD/DVD's, so its kind of hard for me to remember all of the stuff I've watched a long time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:31 am 
Random Man

Oh and I must say. (Death note Spoiler in yellow so if you have a dark eden theme, careful.)

I was stinkin sad at the outcome of death note at the end. Man, I was cheering for light to win, although he pissed me off when he would kill nice people like that news reporter classmate of his and saying he would kill all that knew about the book, even that kira dude that got picked on a lot that was currently helping him. Light was cold but I hated the L, N, and M characters. I hated how they always eat and play with things (for l's case eat+play with his food). I hated how those dudes always got things right and especially at the end. How could one slip up cost light the whole game. Yea I looked at is as if it was a sports game or a game of chess where i'm inside of both players head, but they both cheat too much (cheat as in get computer like clues that no normal human would be able to figure out or process). Poor Light :( and Misa suiciding at the end was also sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:24 am 
Keyboard Cowboy

Read the manga Ploid. The ending if better imo. Only if i had my comp here i cud send u it all :<

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:46 am 
Noodlebear

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Best anime ever, seen it like a billion times over) <3 Rei

Chobits! (Chi is hawt, basically it's about a world young college dude from the farm trying to succeed in school and incorporate himself into city life, part of that is having a robotic companion for all your needs. The story goes deeper and more complicated as the dude picks up a chick robot (Chi) from the dumpster near his apartment!)

Fuushigi Yuugi (Really old anime about two highschool girls who get sucked into a book, separated into rival groups trying to summon Seiryu/Suzaku in order to gain 3 wishes)

EDIT: btw these series are fairly short compared to shitty stuff like Naruto where they try to drag it on and on and milk every single thing out of the anime... I fricken hate those super long ass series that just won't stop coming out with shit.