It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:19 pm 
Random Man

I have a few questions.

Is there a good website that has linux tips and advice for beginners.

I'm going to install it to my PS3 so the other question is will my controller work for pc like games and programs, and will I be able to do it with bluetooth connection instead of being wired?

Am I better off not bothering if I intend to use it on a SD tv as well as HDtv?

Also about networking, is it any good with sharing files and media with PC via stream from a PC media center?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:57 pm 
Hexabox Aspirant

Ploid wrote:
I'm going to install it to my PS3 so the other question is will my controller work for pc like games and programs, and will I be able to do it with bluetooth connection instead of being wired?

I don't understand the question. Do you plan to run Linux games on your PS3 to use the controller? Are you aware that the PS3 hardware architecture likely needs different binaries than your PC and that the PS3's 3D Engine is (officially) disabled in Linux mode?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:42 pm 
Norwegian Bombshell

I have tried psubuntu on my ps3 and would say that its currently pretty crappy,
graphics running in non-hardware accelerated mode, low ram means apps takes ages to load, etc etc.

Also getting bluetooth and wlan working requires some hacking.

its pwn for ripping blueray movies to "backup" tho.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:18 pm 
Random Man

Lutia it's just about unlocked, there is some new development in the PS3 Linux community. I'll track down the quotes on what they aquired on getting some use of RSX in linux PS3 when I get on the PC so I can copy and paste. Linux with only the cell is good too. PS3 could run a lot of things in linux mode at launch and they got even more things to run since then. Which is why I want to get used to linux now. Also I can use it instead of my old slow pc. Oh and no more PS3 XMB browser. Firefox on linux, no getting cut off at around 500 characters.

Also about games, the ones I have are mostly old games that can run on PCs without 3d cards and use integrated graphics chip fine. Well if I can somehow get those to work in linux, if not, there's always neogeo, and sega games. And yea I want to use my controller to move the cursor and be able to play games with it as an option without the usb cord.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:15 am 
Random Man

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=198

Quote:
Well the latest unofficial PS3RSX driver seems to be working quite well, with acceleration and everything, so at least the scaling is now done by the graphics card and not by a clunky software algorithm.

This quote is from a guy that runs a gaming sight in france. Not PS3 only, he's more of a 360 guy, but he's very interested in the linux PS3 growth. Beyond 3d might have more on this but I wouldn't know where to look and google don't help me find it.

Panajev2001a wrote:
Well, this shows you cannot leave ps2dev's forums alone...

RSX's GDD3 memory is being accessed and USED by the CPU:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=53490#53490

(did a search and found nothing, so I hope I am not getting excited over old news for NeoGAF...)

Ok, reading the thread better, it is old news for those forums and although they have been able to reliably make use of the extra VRAM they still have some problems.

Reading from RSX's VRAM from CELL (and in to XDR) is much slower than having RSX initiate the data transfer (so it would be RSX reading from GDDR3 and writing into XDR rather than CELL reading from GDDR3 and writing into XDR) and this would explain the low performance they are getting from using the extra RAM as swap.

Panajev.. I forgot his background. Post link http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=158

Edit: Crap seems I'd need a dvd burner. I don't even have a dvd drive on my pc. Had this disk that has deus x, thief, and other games on it that came with a expensive magazine for years now (was expecting to build a pc but failed at doing so. lol where da agp slot at). Guess my plans of having a classic game system+ps1/ps2 game system+new game system all in one is dying.

Edit: Found psubuntu 7.10 hope this is a update to what sureaboutthis experienced. Have a feeling the one that required a dvd burn might be better. This searching the internet and finding tips and tricks (found something on using sixaxis in ps3 linux in bluetooth mode). It's like a game, but in front of a boring desk.

Edit: This right here is what I want in Linux for now, and it's possible as displayed by these videos.
Image viewer, video, and streaming from pc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MxFbLVNr2w

Games
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK4HxswozMc april 07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQOr-vN ... re=related nov 06 (marvels vs capcom 2d fighter)

Also the desktops and menus look cool and slick. Could have fun with this when it's done.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:40 pm 
Random Man

Ok, most Important question. What is the deal with kboot? Guessing it mean kernal boot. Is the commands understandable like dos? Or will I need a guide for every little thing I want to install, or configure rather, while in kboot?

So far the only commands I know are "boot-game-os" (to go back to PS3 xmb and out of linux, and "/boot/vmlinux initrd=/boot/initrd.img root=/dev/sda1". Now I don't know what the last one do but it's supposed to launch ubuntu or some crap. At the moment I can only use Ubuntu right after I finish installing, but when I shutdown ubuntu and try to launch it again, i'm blocked by kboot crappidy crap crap. I was blocked by dos back in the day when I had to floppy boot disk a empty hdd to install windows 98, and learned enough to partition, format, look at the hdd file names, and other crap, but that seems easy compaird to this french that is kboot.