It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:02 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Saw Looper last night, had the Hancock effect. First half is really dope, falls off a lot in the second half. Bruce Willis does go on a rampage though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:30 am 
Random Man

I've mentioned this youtuber I came across in the picture thread. Turns out she had a Game Of Thrones video that's so far good. Just putting this here for people that still isn't sold on watching the show, well there's some spoilers, but there is a good review for the books if you're interested in books.

http://youtu.be/w1VWRPSc4kE

Paperback versions of the books are only $20 for 4 box set. Hmm, I'm getting dis, I like technology and all but it's probably a good idea to give your eyes a break from lcd, oled, 60watt bulbs when you can.

http://www.amazon.com/Books-Thrones-Fea ... e+and+fire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:02 pm 
Random Man

Am I the only one here that had to practice pronouncing Les Miserable before suggesting seeing the movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmLMCRKt-QY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:54 pm 
Black Thumb

I saw the musical long before it was a movie. Haven't seen the movie but the musical is great.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:56 pm 
Bitter Canadian

When did VD catch the gay?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 pm 
Bitter Canadian

Seriously though, I've heard that it's really good as far as musicals go.
Saw the phantom of the opera in grade school and that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 am 
Random Man

VD seem like he grew up in NY city. Another movie I mentioned then he mentioned the Stage Play was Little Shop of Horror. VD got that culture, and he plays golf.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:50 am 
Bitter Canadian

Little shop of horrors is classic.

I can still remember the dentist song lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:56 am 

I've seen The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast musicals and they were both phat as phuck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:10 pm 
Black Thumb

I saw Les Miserables in NYC on one of my trips there.

You have no idea how talented those people are unless you actually go see them. As you get older you start to appreciate things like that more (I'm Old Snake rly...28!!!).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:54 pm 
Bitter Canadian

Django unchained is pretty freaking awesome, worth watching for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:44 pm 
STFU

Bodycount wrote:
Django unchained is pretty freaking awesome, worth watching for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:08 pm 
Random Man

Yeah I saw Django, I didn't want to mention it though. I don't know how to bring up slavery around white people. Sam Jackson killed it, he almost seemed like the main villain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:40 pm 

Kooyo wrote:
Bodycount wrote:
lolslaves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 am 
Bitter Canadian

Ploid wrote:
Yeah I saw Django, I didn't want to mention it though. I don't know how to bring up slavery around white people. Sam Jackson killed it, he almost seemed like the main villain.

Did watching it make you hate dem crakas? White folk did some nasty shit in those days.

Sam Jackson had me rolling when they first get to the house, easily one of my favourite actors.
Christoph Waltz is also excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:48 am 
Random Man

Nah, Django is tame to the crazyness of white people of the past. Well it was a bit of lightheartedness in it to counter things like the mandingo fighting and dog tearing up that one guy. Also there was the evil slavers dying for their actions unlike Lincoln in which they got a slap on the wrist (who wrote that story, I mean come on!!!11).

The slaving part wasn't over after the south was told they couldn't legally have slaves. There was just free slaves, they still owned us guud. Couldn't vote, walk on the same side of the street, look at them, they could kill us without anyone batting a eye (people in my family lost fathers because of white guys taking them out of their home and killing them). It wasn't even that long ago. I don't hate white people, I just know not to cross the crazy ones. I try to feel them out, their age is a definite red alert for me, and it sucks that I'm surrounded by old neighbors so I walk on eggshells not really knowing much about them, and them probably not knowing that I'm not a angry dude.

A note about the angry black man thing. All of the jacked up crazy stuff white people did to us even after having slavery abolished and they call us the violent angry people.

Edit: I'm now living in a city that had one of the biggest slave trading streets. The place where they traded them is still up and has a plaque you could read about it. The whole touring attraction of the city I'm in is all about that southern life, and the buildings. Like I said about my grandmother was working as a maid for a plantation owner even until I was in high school, Rosswood Plantation, with the slave quarters and whipping posts. Now a bread and breakfast for white people that want a taste of what it was like to live back in those times, with the black maids serving them.

Bodycount wrote:
Sam Jackson had me rolling when they first get to the house, easily one of my favourite actors.
Christoph Waltz is also excellent.

Christoph just won best supporting actor for Django, Leo was also nominated. I think Sam Jackson wanted to be nominated, he didn't even show up. Jamie and Kerry was there at least.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:45 pm 
Bitter Canadian

Wow that's some messed up shit Plois, never really think about how slave related movies dredge up old feelings since I'm white and not racist.

I imagine it would be rough knowing you lost actual grandparents/family members based on race.

Movie made me ask myself if I was around in those days, would I have been one of the racist scumbags or someone like the Dr. I like to tell myself that I would have been one of the good people but unless you lived it you really don't know how you have acted.

I couldn't see myself treating anyone like an animal/sub human because I have some respect for life in general.

Sucks that some whites still would even want to go on a vacation to see how racist and shitty their ancestors were. I guess some people think it's good to experience it, but that just seems like an asshole move, especially if they still have black folk dressing up in old time clothes and serving them.

Ahhhh humanity, such class.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:06 pm 
STFU

When we saw it there were a lot of black people in the show with us, and some of them seemed offended at some points, i was scared D:! The people next to us hated the dog part, and ill admit that part was a little rough to watch myself. But all in all it was a good movie!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:40 pm 
Random Man

lol Kooyo, yeah the dog and fighting parts were brutal.

About that plantation, they look at it as a museum where actors dress up and stuff to show a part of history. Like the civil war reenactment stuff, some locations are hardcore roleplay for civil war, viking stuff (like drinking out of horn mugs type of stuff), and so on. Mississippi isn't much so what they have for tourist attractions are real live plantations all over the place. Some get to have movies shot there (True Blood had a location in my city), and some for history. They don't seem to mean any disrespect but the maids/butlers were real, and black probably even until today. It's a role to go along with the setting. We have so much preserved history here, a lot of houses were built before the civil war so they each have a plaque out in the front of them stating the history behind it. Antebellum homes.

Black people just probably don't care much for going in a themed bread and breakfast like Rosswood P. Other than a quick visit to show their kids how bad it was and to scare them straight, like when I went in there and got a tour from my grandmother.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 pm 
Black Thumb

My dad went to my cousin's wedding down in Georgia a few years ago.

At his own niece's wedding there was people from down there asking "What are you doin on my land, Yankee?"

Worst part is they were serious. Meanwhile my dad is like "uh...my niece's wedding? u?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next