It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 pm 
Black Thumb

Better than I remember, apparently. Before you all go calling shenanigans, I didn't edit the entry, this was brought to my attention by someone I work with.

From his Wikipedia page:

Quote:
Popular culture

Thomas is also famous for being absolutely unstoppable in the Nintendo game Tecmo Super Bowl. In many tournaments for the game, the Bills were highly sought after and often banned because Thurman's computerized counterpart was so good it gave the user of the Bills an unfair advantage. The same was true of the Los Angeles Raiders because of Bo Jackson. Derek Schaul, the Illinois State Tecmo Champion in 1995 coined the phrase "Ain't no stoppin' me.... Ain't no stoppin' Thurman T!" as he ran in the winning touchdown in the tournament, (vs. Neill Power on ESPN) which caught on with game fans and remained popular for years.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:18 am 
Random Man

Oh man VD why must you make me all nostalgic like this. Bo and Thurman was the go to guys in that game. I remember the real life smack talk about how Bo Knows each time he did a awesome play. Smack talk carried over to Madden. If you wasn't smack talking you was losing and not smack talking already showed you was a defeated chump. Tecmo started it all.

Ready Down Hut Hut Hut (music).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4DbshffSN4 Crap man, the truly good days.

One of my odd friends had Blades of Steel. That was cool, you could fight. lol hockey though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:30 am 
Black Thumb

blades of steel and nhlpa 93 are the only two hockey games I'll play, every other game sux.

remember double dribble?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:33 am 
Random Man

And Arch Rivals (I think that's the first one that allowed you to break the glass, which was revolutionary and sooo awesome), man gaming was awesome back then. Everyone trading games with friends, people playing games through my window because I couldn't have company that day. Me and my brother taking turns at mario. I was lucky, I grew up in a big neighborhood.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:35 am 
Black Thumb

oh man, arch rivals was awesome with the punching!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:29 am 
Black Thumb

Bo Jackson's Wiki writeup under "Video Games"

Quote:
Jackson's legend was further cemented by his digital counterpart, affectionately known as "Tecmo Bo", in the 1991 video game Tecmo Super Bowl for the Nintendo Entertainment System. "Tecmo Bo" is one of the best running backs—and arguably the most lethal athlete—in video game history.[15] Players using "Tecmo Bo" have been able to rush for 800–900 yards per game, and sometimes much more. Gamers using "Tecmo Bo" have been known to run all over the field on one play, or run out the time of a whole quarter without being tackled.

Jackson has commented that fans will often come up to him and regale him with stories not of his actual football feats, but rather memorable Tecmo Bowl plays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:26 am 
Random Man

I totally remember a friend running the wrong way then making it all the way back to the correct inzone in Tecmo Bowl.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:08 pm 
Norwegian Bombshell

i know absolutely nothing about american football, but this gif seemed appropriate to post here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 pm 
Black Thumb

you may post wherever qtpie

but yeah, if it were lawrence taylor winking that would fucking rule...speaking of which:

Quote:
Though more realistic than other American football games of the era, like Irem's 10 Yard Fight, Tecmo Bowl had quirks. For instance, almost any pass thrown to a covered receiver resulted in an interception, and it was unrealistically easy for some teams to block field goals and extra points. Lawrence Taylor of New York and Dexter Manley of Washington could block any field goal or extra point simply by selecting them and running down the line and through the long snapper. Also, San Francisco and Miami each had a pass play that was nearly unstoppable against any defense, with proper timing: the slot receiver curl route from the shotgun. Human defenses could stop this by double teaming the curl receiver with the defensive end.[citation needed]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:24 am 
Random Man

This information would have been very helpful to me so many years ago. I could have even made $2 if I was lucky.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:57 am 
Black Thumb

I always knew about the Lawrence Taylor thing when I was younger, didn't know it worked with Dexter Manley though. Was a tough time finding good teams cause the Bills weren't in the first one.