PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:58 pm 
Random Man

Did you get.. hack your way in Lutia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWM4zyYZmBo

Post subject: Re: Diablo 3 beta.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:38 am 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Stone of Me, kewl.
My girlfriend wants the beta, I bought her a brand new $1800 iMac and she's just waiting for it to be shipped, game will look pimp on there. So if anyone gets an extra beta code or whatever hook her up!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:53 pm 
Black Thumb

omg SoJ brings back memreez.

can. not. wait.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:58 pm 

Stone of J-Bone??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:04 am 
STFU

dis game free online play?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:16 am 
Random Man

I can't actually tell, and that's sad. You gotta be online all the time even if you're playing solo. If you lose connection you'll probably end up dead. You spend real money to buy stuff from the AH. It's probably free to play online, but it seem like it will suck.

I'm not really looking forward to getting this game, but I know a lot of people here are interested in it.

Edit: It'll most likely be free to play online. They want people online so they will use the AH to spend money on gear.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:33 pm 
Black Thumb

D2 was always free to play online, and yeah, you did kinda HAVE to play it online. I started playing it in college so it was great cause we always just played across our LAN's.

I doubt they charge for it. What's this about paying RL money for items though? RMT? There was always that goin on in D2 but basically it was more people announcing it in the lobbies. Never heard anything about it prior to your post there. I'll be damned if those SoJ are gonna cost me $2 every time I wanna make a trade. For those unfamiliar, SoJ's were basically like high-end D2 currency. They had gold, but most every GOOD item was traded in SoJ's because of how rare they were to find.

I really hope they re-worked the PvP system cause it was always broken before, though I have to admit I prefer co-op tasks in RPG's.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:38 pm 
Bitter Canadian

idk about spending rl money for the vidya
Bad enough you have to pay monthly after buying a game.. can't imagine spending 20$ or something to get a ebody in xi lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:41 pm 
STFU

i need a new game to play now that i left ffxi, if this game is good someone hook a brother up and i might get into it, we say when its coming out yet?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:44 pm 
Random Man

Early 2012.

The real money for items is some feature Bilzzard added. You pay for the items not the tax to trade a item. Want Uber Ring of Mars? Pay for it at the AH and Blizzard gets a cut then sends the rest to the guy selling it via paypal. I kid you not.

Diablo 3 is pretty much a mmo. You install a client on your PC, and if you afk too long you get kicked off the server, lose progress, and have to re do the map.

Long quote from a article in the next post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:45 pm 
Random Man

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09 ... ffect-you/

How Diablo III’s DRM Will Affect You

By John Walker on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:56 pm.

Oh what a treat for everyone.

Diablo III‘s ‘always-on’ DRM is obviously a matter of much controversy, albeit a more nuanced one than that of Ubisoft. Where Ubisoft implemented the grotesque system purely as a claimed measure to fight piracy, Blizzard’s logic at least has some elements that offer benefits to the player. Battle.net, online ranking, drop-in-drop-out co-op, the auction house, and constant live monitoring of your progress, and monitoring to prevent cheating, can all be argued to be in the players’ favour, in a way that Settlers VII crashing its single player because the internet blipped does not. But it doesn’t make the problem go away, and I want to strongly argue that Blizzard reconsider their decision, in the face of its simply breaking their game. Because no matter how perfect your connection, it will affect you.

My intention with Diablo III is to solo the game. I realise that’s not the way many will play it, it’s not what the Diablo series is most famous for, and it’s arguably not the primary way Blizzard intends the game to be played. However, crucially, it’s a mode of the game that’s deliberately programmed to work, with NPC story-based characters to join your party and interact with you, and a single-player plot to hack through. It is, undeniably, designed to be played as a single-player game.

However, the always-on DRM makes this the most remarkably annoying process. During the beta, Blizzard’s servers have dropped a few times. Of course, that’s expected during a beta, but it’s also not unexpected once a game has gone live. And here, when the server goes down, you’re left with a ghost of the game until it eventually stops you from playing at all. I found that suddenly when I fired my bow no arrows came out – I could wander around, enemies were still there, but clearly something was wrong. And then it froze, a message popped up saying there were connection troubles, and I was dumped back to the main menu with no way to play. For no discernible reason. I still had the game installed, had no desire to be online or use any online functions, and yet still couldn’t play.

Clearly that problem only arises when something goes wrong, or when there’s server maintenance, which obviously will only be a very small proportion of the time (still time when the game needlessly doesn’t work, of course.) But a more striking and regular problem has shown itself over the last couple of days of playing with the beta levels.

You can’t pause. In fact, in most ways, the game acts like an MMO. For instance, quit it, and you’re given the optional cooldown to have your player clear the server properly. But it’s not an MMO. It’s not even close to an MMO. So when I’m playing the single-player game, and I’m in the middle of a frenzied mob, and there’s a knock at the front door, there’s nothing I can do. As happened to me yesterday. Twice. On another occasion I was surprised by a phone call that led to my having to do some other things. I’d safely left my character in a cleared area, but long between checkpoints. When I came back to the PC, I’d been idle for too long and the game had logged me out.

I’d been logged out of a single-player game because I was away for an hour. And thus lost all my progress (although not my items and stats) since the last checkpoint, a long, long way back.

In fact, currently, losing your connection (either by idling or the server going down) resets huge chunks of what you’ve already played, such that the map is blank, and you need to battle through it again. Whether that’s an issue with the beta, or something that will also carry through to the finished game, we obviously don’t know. But it’s another clear example of how having your single-player, offline game require a constant connection is massively idiotic and counter-productive.

Games with occasional checkpoints are obviously a massive pain for anyone who might or need to stop playing at that moment – something that’s not exactly an uncommon occurrence. But a game where that’s the case, AND you can’t even leave it running in the background, is beyond acceptable.

And this is all never mind that you can’t play it on trains, planes, at your gran’s, on the day a workman cuts through your phone line, if you’re in the army, or simply cannot afford a broadband connection.

Blizzard must address this. Yes, their motivations don’t appear to be a misguided and ignorant attempt to prevent piracy. Although I doubt they’re too upset that this is a believed by-product. But no matter how much they have argued that their always-on system is of benefit to players, it absolutely isn’t proving to be the case. And maddeningly, the solution is incredibly simple:

Create the option to create an entirely offline character. A character that can’t then be imported into an online game, one that can’t invite others to join in. That way any of the concerns about those finding ways to artificially improve their characters and then dominate online (something that really doesn’t seem a massive issue in opt-in co-op, but there we are) are removed, and anyone who just wants to solo the game can do so.

Sure, you can’t use the auction house. And sure, that means Blizzard will make a fraction less money from you. But since they already made the money when you paid them for the game, it would seem not unreasonable to let you be able to play it. Right now, in the state it’s currently in, it’s an inherently broken product. A single-player game that won’t pause, and if you leave it running will boot you out and cancel your progress. That’s insane.

And it’s all the more maddening in what’s, so far, an exceptionally good game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:53 pm 
Doesn't work without batteries

Only thing new here is that the game boots you for being idle too long. I played D2 online but primarily by myself and the bolded text you have is exactly what happened in D2. You just had to deal with it because the benefits of playing online vs offline were worth it. I think an offline mode would be nice, but mostly unnecessary. D2 has survived all these years because of the online play and I would say the series has always been an MO with the option to single play not a singleplayer with online options. As long as the servers are reliable and/or the checkpoints aren't ridiculously far apart I don't see a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:51 am 
Black Thumb

They should set it up like Borderlands. That game reminds me of D2 a lot only in the sense of item rarity.

You can play offline if you're just trying to mess around but more rare items drop with more people that are playing. Why wouldn't they just do this on WoW servers or whatever? That sounds like it's on its way out too, though don't really know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:08 pm 
Bitter Canadian

WOW people I've talked to in xiv said they quit WOW because last expansion was terribad.
It still has like 8 million subs so it's doing pretty good still.. idk how but it's been around for a long ass time and probably isn't going away for good.. people still play xi after all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:33 pm 
Black Thumb

I tried the WoW trial or whatever. I lasted literally 5 kills before I got bored.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:08 pm 
Bitter Canadian

haha same for me pretty much
their number of subs has always amazed me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:47 pm 
Random Man

I also thought wow trial sucked. I played rogue or whatever. Didn't last long.

Though, I wasn't there to make friends, join a group, or help people out. I think the most addicting part of these MMORPGs are getting hooked on the community. Like if eden and everyone in my social ls didn't quit I would have been back to ffxi.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:57 pm 
Black Thumb

Let's start our own D3 group then! Getting items in that game was super fun. They still RMT D2 items lol, I just did a google search.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:26 am 

Did vednig just say lol?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:28 am 
Random Man