It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:30 am 
Random Man

Random Internet dude goes over a year without using soap/shampoo. Surprising results

Quote:
I stopped using soap a year ago. It was easily one of the best moves I've ever made in my entire flippin' life.

About this time last year I read an article (which Mark mentioned here as well) extolling the virtues of a soap-free bathing experience. TL;DR version: Your body is designed to regulate itself. Smearing chemicals all over it wrecks its own built-in processes, and screws with naturally balanced pH levels. This made sense to me and I thought I'd give it a shot for a month.

At the beginning of February 2010, I blogged about the results I'd seen so far. I didn't stink at all (confirmed by friends, family and random people I ended up sitting next to on various forms of public transit), my skin felt better, oily and dry patches had all but disappeared and the light dandruff I'd had my entire life was almost gone. I was pleased with the results of my month experiment and decided I'd run with it for a while longer. As of January 1, 2011: it's been a year now, and I can't imagine ever going back.

More on the results I've seen: As I just mentioned, my skin feels better than ever before. Not that it ever felt bad, really, but it feels awesome now. Still no stink at all, I swear even when I'm really active and sweating I don't notice any B.O., and I used to be über self-conscious about this and would think I was stinking if I walked up a flight of stairs too quickly. So this is a huge improvement for sure. And with the exception of changing climates drastically, even the dandruff is history. My previously wavy and mostly unmanageable hair now seems much more willing to bend to my will, a dream of mine since I first looked in a mirror, brush in hand, then tried and failed to make any sense of that monster. So I approve for sure.

And speaking of hair, that was actually a perfect test. Sometime mid-summer I stopped by a barber and before I'd realized it he'd squirted a glob of shampoo onto my head. It was too late to protest, so I just sat through the scrubbing. For the following 2 weeks my hair was a mess: full of dandruff and totally uncontrollable. Once things balanced back out to the previously established no-soap norms, all was good again.

Unexpected bonus: travel is much easier. Now that I'm not lugging shampoo and conditioner with me on the road, there's that much less for TSA to hassle me about and more room in my luggage (which I quickly filled with coffee stuff, natch). Not that I always carried lots of liquid toiletries with me, but now I don't even have to think about what the hotel I'm going to might provide, or worry about having to borrow something from a friend until I can get to a store and buy my own stuff. Those details are gone. I love it.

The future? I will definitely be sticking with this. I'm still annoyed it took me 35 years to learn what I clearly already knew as a baby kicking and screaming when my parents tried to wash my hair. At least that's what I want to assume I knew back then. I know now, but I'd still rather not think about how much I spent on soap and shampoo and related products over the years when they were likely causing all the problems I was trying to protect against.

If you don't believe me, you can totally smell me when you see me in public. Really. Just ask. It won't be weird at all. Okay, maybe a little bit.

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/04/i- ... oap-i.html

lol @ comments

Probably shouldn't try this if you are a manly musky guy. Maybe on a nothing to do saturday night/sunday morning > sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 pm 
Black Thumb

cutting off ass wiping next

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:54 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

So he didn't shower at all or just stood there?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:02 pm 
Random Man

Showered, washed, scrubbed, hot water, etc. just no chemicals like soap, shampoo however he still used deodorant and maybe cologne.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:41 pm 
Bitter Canadian

why would you want to test out this theory ijdk

Yorke wrote:
cutting off ass wiping next

lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:10 am 
Random Man

Shocked that he don't smell and that he actually saw benefits from not using soap. I searched to see if there was any truth to it and it seem to depend on the person. Don't hurt to try when you're not going out anywhere important or around a lot of people. Like lazy sunday. I tried it yesterday, no smell and felt clean. I don't care about having soft skin or whatever benefits he had anyway. Didn't try today though. For shampoo in hair I never did that too often anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:24 am 
Black Thumb

was he able to have sex during said time

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:47 am 
Random Man

He has a wife and went a year doing this. It seems to work even though you have sex. Like if you feel dirty just rinse off. However if you have sex with someone random wipe your crotch off with acid. Again I don't know if the chemicals in soap, and whatever, do things to your skin but I do know you shouldn't over wash your skin. It's good to have some things on your skin if I recall correctly. I forgot what I was looking at that advised against over washing your skin with antibacterial stuff. I'm sure it was discovery channel though.

(6 minutes later + google)

Think I found it "Over-washing the skin, especially with hot water, washes off the skin’s natural oils, making it dry and vulnerable to the elements" Maybe that's what it is. Since you're not overwashing it, not using soap, the natural stuff stay on and make things softer/nicer. Maybe use soap but don't over do it, or use the oil stuff from spa products. Private areas can use the soap but everywhere else lighten up on the soap to not remove natural skin protect-ants crap. Research done, science found.

I'm not gay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:28 pm 
Black Thumb

lol, I'm not gay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:59 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

you like guys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:35 am 
Bitter Canadian

do hand softness research?
immediately proclaim your heterosexuality or you're gay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:12 am 
Doesn't work without batteries

Was he using a hard soap (bar soap)? Those tend to dry out the skin, so I could buy his claim if he went from a bar soap to nothing. Body wash ftw.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:13 am 
Random Man

I use bar soap too :(

Sometimes I use the girly liquid dove stuff when my bar is out, don't notice any difference. Says moisturizer but still feels the same. Also I don't have one of those spa squinchy things that the liquid soap is for. There's like 5 in my shower none belonging to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:20 am 
Doesn't work without batteries

Do you use a wash cloth? I hope no one else uses your bar if you don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:26 am 
Random Man

Yeah, one wipe to get soap on it, then no more, put the towel in the hamper. I doubt getting my towel germs would be a problem though lol. Also I'm the only one that use the soap. It's like something that dudes use, not lady like. Which that dove stuff + plastic looking skrunchy seem like to me. I should start using it to see how that goes ha.

It seems like these things would have the most germs since I never see them being washed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:22 am 
Black Thumb

irish spring, holler

nutbutter is so june 2011

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:15 am 
Bitter Canadian

my nutbutter is always in the top 5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:06 am 
Random Man

Said I was going to start using the dove stuff and came home to something like this.

Never really talked about soap stuff, guess I should finding product for face washing and other stuff too. Don't live forever, might as well start acting like I want to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:29 pm 
Black Thumb

ts; med stuffs goin on has given me a new outlook also

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:41 am 
Bitter Canadian

Ploid wrote:
I'm not gay.

ohohoho