It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:01 am 
Goblin Smithy

Have been wondering about this/just noticed this recently and wondering what you guys think. . .
Pertinent details: I've played through a lot of the FF series (Tactics, 7,8,9,10, 11 obv. haha), Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, etc. and just used to play a ton of games in general (played a lot of CS, Battlefield 1942, RTS games on PC, loved the fallout series, etc etc) and would, in the past, enjoy these thoroughly and play for at least a few hours daily.

Anyways, so idk how many of you know but I reached peak obesity at the end of the FFXI years (350 lbs and was very sedentary =\ ) however at some point like ~2 years ago I began to change my diet and exercise (lifting/bodybuilding, and just studied nutrition lots); now I'm at ~200 lbs but I've found that I really can't play (can't get myself interested in, I guess) any game, especially one that involves somewhat of a time commitment; I haven't played a single RPG since and only played a few games of RTS and only with friends -- the 'care' and ability to want to become skilled/extend myself into the world of the game is entirely lost I feel like. Even if I go to a friend's place and am trying a new game, like I don't care enough to try to learn it well or anything it seems. Though, I really don't consider it to be a bad/negative thing at all and definitely am enjoying a more active, healthier life, I was wondering if any of you feel the same way? I definitely feel like although I really enjoyed playing FFXI, the overall negative connotation my mind has with it has pretty much severed the 'gamer' in me.
(btw, anyone that would like nutrition/exercise advice I'd be glad to help, have done lots of research and am more than willing to share what I've learned, although it will always be a growing body of knowledge)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:42 pm 
Black Thumb

I still play when I can. With all the other games it's kinda hard to do so. However, I do find it harder to play video games in general, especially when there's drinkin and stuff to be done outside of the house (no, I'm not an alcoholic).

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:48 pm 
Bitter Canadian

Gonna have to agree, ff11 made me not want to play vidya games nearly as much.
I bought and sold a ps3 because after I quit playing 11, I just didn't want to sit around and play any video game for very long. Sometimes I'll want to log into 11 just to kill time when I'm bored with nothing else to do but that's pretty rare these days
So many better things to do with your time.

wtf 350 lbs Dye?! I always thought you were a skinny asian dude... idk why lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:51 pm 
Random Man

I never played a game hardcore like ffxi. Never playing a game like that again, I like the freedom. FFXI was full of obligations, and help debt. That and the constant want to level new jobs is what made me glued to the screen. With console games I can pause, save, and play when I have time.

I never knew you had a health condition, I thought you stopped playing because you became way too awesome. Glad to hear you're doing awesomely.

Quote:
wtf 350 lbs Dye?! I always thought you were a skinny asian dude... idk why lol

Same, well actually I always looked at him as a little taru in a ying yang gi.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:28 am 
Ice is strong against fire!!

the only game I can get interested in is CoD, because I can play a few matches then stop or whatever, much rather go out on the weekends, and during the week there's really only 2 days a week I have more then a couple hours of free time

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:02 am 
President

i pretty much dont vidya gayme at all anymore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:38 pm 
lolmithrapld

I feel all warm inside knowing im not the only daft sod who gained many lbs playing FFXI!
Damn game made me very lazy, now Im playing WoW which isnt as time consuming but still find myself with a severe lack of motivation to do much :duh:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:05 pm 
Random Man

This should mean something coming from me, I'd rather you sky dive than play another mmorpg. However you are probably retired so it's perfect for you (Keep forgetting you're not 20). Speaking of what are you doing on the internets? Wish my mom was as cool as you, and she's already pretty cool.

P.S. do you guys notice that your friends and family seem different online/texting?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 pm 
Gender Illusionist

I didn't gain much weight but before FFXI I'd play bball/football and stuff every day, now I run out of breath in like 10minutes of bball :< but since I quit i've been working out to try and gain weight and playing outside again :>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:42 am 

I started gaining a little bit of weight the first little bit I played ffxi, then summer came and I was working 45+ hours a week in a lumber yard and gained a shitload of muscle weight, and have never lost it since, because I haven't stopped working! now I weigh 280 pounds, and only have a bit of a stomach. I've never gone to a gym, either, I used to lift weights at home but they were only 10 pound weights, I haven't bothered in a while because once you can do like 25+ reps easy its kinda pointless. I want to buy some 25 or 35 pound weights but I keep forgetting every time I go to town :<

its funny because normally you picture people who play mmo's as skinny nerdy fucks who weigh like 115 pounds and can't even bench their weight, and most people I know irl who play mmo's are true to that stereotype!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:42 am 
Random Man

Playing ffxi never kept you guys from eatting? I would skip food a lot because I was playing. You rarely have time to eat if you have to focus. I don't like food on my hands, it's impossible for me to touch anything if my hands are even a little dirty (notice my friends don't have this problem. Popcorn filled controllers).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 am 
Gender Illusionist

there were a few times when we had nid or something (very few^^) and i was called for dinner and i'd make some excuse and skip it, cause surely wiping was inevitable without my general prowess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:10 am 
President

it is next to impossible for me to gain weight, even as an olde fuck, so no i never had that problem

in fact i weighed more before i played ffxi, i have put on ten pounds of what is mostly muscle since gtfoing though

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:50 pm 
Random Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:49 pm 

I'd hit it

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:59 pm 
President

hrm...

fairly accurate i guess, although i dont smoke indoors

also, i dont own a wifebeater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:07 pm 
Black Thumb

Owning and being obviously aren't the same in Merty's world.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:45 am 

clearly

merty smokes??

omg quit fgt if I managed to quit I'm sure you can!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:29 am 
President

Mrdude wrote:
clearly

merty smokes??

omg quit fgt if I managed to quit I'm sure you can!

l o l

better chance of me having a wife and beating her

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:59 am 

I actully feel so much bettr after quiting the only time I can smoke now is when Im really drunk or i actually get sick and even when im drunk i still feel shity after tonight i had 2 and im pretty drunk but i still felt like shit after