It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:12 pm 
Black Thumb

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stori ... ily46.html

Not kidding, this is about 3 minutes away from where I live. I could see the smoke out of my window. I didn't hear it because it happened while I was in the shower with my music on loud as hell but I went over there today and it's just a wild fucking scene. I don't know yet if I know anyone who was on the plane, I really hope not. This is horrible regardless ;/

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:14 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Dude I was gunna call you to make sure you were OK, it was all over the news here. Then I switched back to Conan and I forgot. But the thought was there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:16 pm 
lolmithrapld

some 9/11 widow was on that plane, she was going to buffalo or something to celebrate her late husbands bday and do a presentation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:22 pm 
Black Thumb

Yeah ;/ I haven't heard any of the names off the passenger list yet. It was a relatively small plane as far as general size (can hold up to 80 passengers) so casualties were kept to a minimum. I can't imagine having a plane land literally IN my house. It was EXTREMELY windy here last night honestly (they canceled local schools JUST because of the wind), and snowing so in my very unprofessional opinion that was the cause of the crash :<

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:25 pm 
lolmithrapld

A passenger plane has crashed into a home near Buffalo airport in upstate New York, United States, killing 50 people.

The Continental Airlines Flight 3407 was on its final approach to Buffalo Niagara International Airport from Newark, New Jersey.

The plane, a Bombardier Dash 8 Q400, struck a house a few miles from the airport and crashed at 10:17pm local time in Clarence, Erie County.

The plane was carrying over 2.5 tonnes of fuel and burst into a fireball on impact.

All 44 passengers and five crew on board the plane were killed, as well as one person on the ground, the Federal Aviation Administration and local officials said.

A widow whose husband was killed in the September 11 attacks is among the dead, her family said.

It is not yet known what caused the crash.

Investigators are not yet able to access the scene as it is still too hot, a fire service spokesman said.

The crew of captain Marvin Renslow, first officer Rebecca Shaw, flight attendants Matilda Quintero and Donna Prisco and off-duty crew member captain Joseph Zuffoletto died in the crash, an airline spokesman said.

The flight's passenger list will be released once all the families of those killed have been contacted.

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama have said they are "deeply saddened" by the incident.

The President said: "We pray for all those who have been touched by this terrible tragedy to find peace and comfort in the hard days ahead."

No problems were reported from the flight deck in the final communication with local air traffic control, just seconds before the crash.

"I was told the plane simply dropped off the radar screen," a county official said.

A local fire service spokesman said crews had done a "first class job" tackling the blaze, although one firefighter had suffered minor injuries.

He said: "It's remarkable that (the plane) only took one house... It could easily have wiped out that entire neighbourhood."

A woman and child escaped the crash scene with minor injuries, an official added.

Local resident Keith Burtis, who was outside at the time of the crash, told Sky News he could feel the impact more than he could see it.

He said: "I was three quarters of a mile away, outside, you could hear the aircraft whistling.

"You could feel the ground shake and within minutes there was smoke in the sky and an orange glow.

"At this point the fire is still going - they're working to put it out."

He said the weather in Buffalo had been very poor, with heavy rain that had turned to snow during the evening.

Clarence resident Christopher Kausner told Sky News he was waiting for official confirmation that his sister was one of the passengers who had been killed.

"She was in law school, 24 years old. She was flying home to spend time with her family for the weekend.

"We don't have any official confirmation - all I'm going on is news reports I'm getting.

"The people I'm hearing on the radio are almost all people I know. It's a small, tight-knit community."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:27 pm 

Crazy shit, I just watched Donnie Darko the other day and I was thinking what are the chances something like that could happen. :\

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:29 pm 
Black Thumb

The plane probably dropped off the radar so quickly because it crashed about 2.5 flying minutes away from the airport and was probably relatively close to the ground as it was turning (what I assume to be east) to make its final descent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:14 pm 
Eden Alumni

Quote:
A widow whose husband was killed in the September 11 attacks is among the dead, her family said.

I heard about this on the radio when I woke up. Apparently this woman above was on her way to Newark to present a scholarship dedicated to the memory of her husband she lost on 911. How tragic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:13 pm 
Italian #1

ItsSeflol wrote:
Crazy shit, I just watched Donnie Darko the other day and I was thinking what are the chances something like that could happen. :\

first thought was about donnie darko when i saw the thread's title lol >_>

anyway that sucks veddie >.<

Kooyo wrote:
I too will shut up

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:38 am 
Ice is strong against fire!!

I heard something today about a plane crash in the newspaper, it said that it may have been caused by a flock of geese (apparently they found one in the engine, or something) by the sounds of it its a different crash.

yes/no/maybe?

crazy shit tho >.>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:09 am 
Galkan Sausage

uh thats olde and no one died in that crash
water landing in hudson river, apparently the only crash in history no one has died in

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:23 am 
Random Man

Yea I heard about this on CNN. 40something people right? Crazy, but air travel is the safest form of transportation. Cars are the most dangerous. However, there are a crap load more cars on the streets than there are airplanes in the air.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:42 am 
Ice is strong against fire!!

sera wrote:
water landing in hudson river, apparently the only crash in history no one has died in

o.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:15 am 
lolmithrapld

its being reported that the anti freeze mechanics failed, resulting in windscreen and wings being heavily covered in thick ice on approach causing it to be uncontrollable

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:15 pm 
Peaches 'n Cream

sera wrote:

Actually, it is the second. The first successful water landing was done over 50 years ago with a small manned aircraft (like 16 ppl). This (as Sera mentioned) is the first commerial aircraft to successfully perform a water landing, but isn't the first aircraft carrying passengers to land successfully on water.

l2fact.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:14 pm 
Galkan Sausage

Tyriac wrote:
its being reported that the anti freeze mechanics failed, resulting in windscreen and wings being heavily covered in thick ice on approach causing it to be uncontrollable

this is a scary thought, ive been on quite a few planes that were being de-iced... one WHILE it was being de-iced. scary shit anyhow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:48 am 
Better than Kooyo

i did it...........

too soon, or not soon enough?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:47 am 

Not too soon enough.