It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:58 am 
Random Man

http://www.cnbc.com/id/27239479

CNBC wrote:
Andrew Lahde, manager of a small California hedge fund, Lahde Capital, burst into the spotlight last year after his one-year-old fund returned 866 percent betting against the subprime collapse.

Last month, he did the unthinkable -- he shut things down, claiming dealing with his bank counterparties had become too risky. Today, Lahde passed along his "goodbye" letter, a rollicking missive on everything from greed to economic philosophy. Enjoy:

Andrew Lahde wrote:
Today I write not to gloat. Given the pain that nearly everyone is experiencing, that would be entirely inappropriate. Nor am I writing to make further predictions, as most of my forecasts in previous letters have unfolded or are in the process of unfolding. Instead, I am writing to say goodbye.

Recently, on the front page of Section C of the Wall Street Journal, a hedge fund manager who was also closing up shop (a $300 million fund), was quoted as saying, "What I have learned about the hedge fund business is that I hate it." I could not agree more with that statement. I was in this game for the money. The low hanging fruit, i.e. idiots whose parents paid for prep school, Yale, and then the Harvard MBA, was there for the taking. These people who were (often) truly not worthy of the education they received (or supposedly received) rose to the top of companies such as AIG, Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers and all levels of our government. All of this behavior supporting the Aristocracy, only ended up making it easier for me to find people stupid enough to take the other side of my trades. God bless America.

There are far too many people for me to sincerely thank for my success. However, I do not want to sound like a Hollywood actor accepting an award. The money was reward enough. Furthermore, the endless list those deserving thanks know who they are.

I will no longer manage money for other people or institutions. I have enough of my own wealth to manage. Some people, who think they have arrived at a reasonable estimate of my net worth, might be surprised that I would call it quits with such a small war chest. That is fine; I am content with my rewards. Moreover, I will let others try to amass nine, ten or eleven figure net worths. Meanwhile, their lives suck. Appointments back to back, booked solid for the next three months, they look forward to their two week vacation in January during which they will likely be glued to their Blackberries or other such devices. What is the point? They will all be forgotten in fifty years anyway. Steve Balmer, Steven Cohen, and Larry Ellison will all be forgotten. I do not understand the legacy thing. Nearly everyone will be forgotten. Give up on leaving your mark. Throw the Blackberry away and enjoy life.

So this is it. With all due respect, I am dropping out. Please do not expect any type of reply to emails or voicemails within normal time frames or at all. Andy Springer and his company will be handling the dissolution of the fund. And don't worry about my employees, they were always employed by Mr. Springer's company and only one (who has been well-rewarded) will lose his job.

I have no interest in any deals in which anyone would like me to participate. I truly do not have a strong opinion about any market right now, other than to say that things will continue to get worse for some time, probably years. I am content sitting on the sidelines and waiting. After all, sitting and waiting is how we made money from the subprime debacle. I now have time to repair my health, which was destroyed by the stress I layered onto myself over the past two years, as well as my entire life -- where I had to compete for spaces in universities and graduate schools, jobs and assets under management -- with those who had all the advantages (rich parents) that I did not. May meritocracy be part of a new form of government, which needs to be established.

On the issue of the U.S. Government, I would like to make a modest proposal. First, I point out the obvious flaws, whereby legislation was repeatedly brought forth to Congress over the past eight years, which would have reigned in the predatory lending practices of now mostly defunct institutions. These institutions regularly filled the coffers of both parties in return for voting down all of this legislation designed to protect the common citizen. This is an outrage, yet no one seems to know or care about it. Since Thomas Jefferson and Adam Smith passed, I would argue that there has been a dearth of worthy philosophers in this country, at least ones focused on improving government.

Capitalism worked for two hundred years, but times change, and systems become corrupt. George Soros, a man of staggering wealth, has stated that he would like to be remembered as a philosopher. My suggestion is that this great man start and sponsor a forum for great minds to come together to create a new system of government that truly represents the common man's interest, while at the same time creating rewards great enough to attract the best and brightest minds to serve in government roles without having to rely on corruption to further their interests or lifestyles. This forum could be similar to the one used to create the operating system, Linux, which competes with Microsoft's near monopoly. I believe there is an answer, but for now the system is clearly broken.

Lastly, while I still have an audience, I would like to bring attention to an alternative food and energy source. You won't see it included in BP's, "Feel good. We are working on sustainable solutions," television commercials, nor is it mentioned in ADM's similar commercials. But hemp has been used for at least 5,000 years for cloth and food, as well as just about everything that is produced from petroleum products. Hemp is not marijuana and vice versa. Hemp is the male plant and it grows like a weed, hence the slang term. The original American flag was made of hemp fiber and our Constitution was printed on paper made of hemp. It was used as recently as World War II by the U.S. Government, and then promptly made illegal after the war was won. At a time when rhetoric is flying about becoming more self-sufficient in terms of energy, why is it illegal to grow this plant in this country?

Ah, the female. The evil female plant -- marijuana. It gets you high, it makes you laugh, it does not produce a hangover. Unlike alcohol, it does not result in bar fights or wife beating. So, why is this innocuous plant illegal? Is it a gateway drug? No, that would be alcohol, which is so heavily advertised in this country. My only conclusion as to why it is illegal, is that Corporate America, which owns Congress, would rather sell you Paxil, Zoloft, Xanax and other additive drugs, than allow you to grow a plant in your home without some of the profits going into their coffers. This policy is ludicrous. It has surely contributed to our dependency on foreign energy sources. Our policies have other countries literally laughing at our stupidity, most notably Canada, as well as several European nations (both Eastern and Western). You would not know this by paying attention to U.S. media sources though, as they tend not to elaborate on who is laughing at the United States this week. Please people, let's stop the rhetoric and start thinking about how we can truly become self-sufficient.

With that I say good-bye and good luck.

All the best,

Andrew Lahde

tl:dnr version

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:22 am 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Ploid wrote:
tl:dnr version

Quote:

I was gunna say but you remembered :love:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:28 am 
Random Man

That was especially for you. Gotta look out for a brotha.

It's an interesting read though. That guy should write a book, but he don't need to as he's set for life, don't care about making a mark on the world as it's useless (forgotten in 20 years), and it's not fun. I totally agree with him. Why work so hard throwing your life away, oh rite for your retirement plan/to retire as soon as possible. Then play FFXI games!! Or PSN games!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:41 am 
K-Fed Stunt Double

How much money did this guys make? What exactly did he do? I read it, it is a good read.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:52 am 
Random Man

He was the hedge-fund manager of a California-based Lahde Capital Management LLC.

I don't know how much money he obtained for himself, but he posted a 870% gain last year. I'll just say he's set for 2-5 lives. Party everyday at Lahde's mansion? He's 37 years old, time to be a playboy and get a sexy gym trainer to help him "repair his health" ;) .

Although I have Wall Street in the title, his firm was based in Santa Monica, California.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:40 am 
Random Man

I think his total earnings were 80mil.

Quote:
I will no longer manage money for other people or institutions. I have enough of my own wealth to manage. Some people, who think they have arrived at a reasonable estimate of my net worth, might be surprised that I would call it quits with such a small war chest. That is fine; I am content with my rewards. Moreover, I will let others try to amass nine, ten or eleven figure net worths. Meanwhile, their lives suck.

Quote:
Lahde managed an estimated $80 million and was best known for his U.S. Residential Real Estate Hedge Fund V Class A portfolio, which increased an astounding 870% in 2007 after he shorted the subprime mortgage market through derivatives.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-h ... 6335.story

==========================
(Another article)

Quote:
Hedge fund whiz Andrew Lahde lashes out while cashing in
In a scathing farewell letter, he slams 'idiot' traders, the government and marijuana laws.

Andrew Lahde, the Santa Monica hedge fund manager who shot to fame with an 870% gain last year by betting on the subprime mortgage collapse, has left the building -- with a bang.

Lahde, 37, who closed his operations last month citing the risk of trading with teetering banks, said goodbye Friday to his clients and good riddance to the investment world with a stinging, widely circulated letter skewering "idiot" traders, the U.S. government and marijuana laws.

"I was in this game for the money," Lahde wrote in the two-page missive, saying he would now focus on his personal portfolio of unspecified millions. "The low-hanging fruit, i.e. idiots whose parents paid for prep school, Yale and then the Harvard MBA, was there for the taking. These people who were (often) truly not worthy of the education they received (or supposedly received) rose to the top of companies such as AIG, Bear Stearns and Lehman Bros. and all levels of our government.

"All of this behavior supporting the Aristocracy only ended up making it easier for me to find people stupid enough to take the other side of my trades. God bless America."

Lahde, who earned a bachelor's degree in finance from Michigan State University and an MBA from UCLA , could not be reached for comment.

Lahde managed an estimated $80 million and was best known for his U.S. Residential Real Estate Hedge Fund V Class A portfolio, which increased an astounding 870% in 2007 after he shorted the subprime mortgage market through derivatives.

"With all due respect, I am dropping out," he wrote in his letter, first posted at Portfolio magazine's website, warning clients and would-be business partners not to expect replies to messages.

Lahde, who worked as an analyst at firms including Southern California's Roth Capital Partners and Dalton Investments before launching his own company, expressed contempt for the workaholic ways of the business world.

"Appointments back to back, booked solid for the next three months, they look forward to their two-week vacation in January during which they will likely be glued to their BlackBerries or other such devices. What is the point? They will all be forgotten in 50 years anyway. Steve Ballmer, Steven Cohen, and Larry Ellison will all be forgotten. I do not understand the legacy thing. Nearly everyone will be forgotten. Give up on leaving your mark. Throw the BlackBerry away and enjoy life."

Lahde predicted years of pain for capital markets.

"I now have time to repair my health, which was destroyed by the stress I layered onto myself over the past two years, as well as my entire life -- where I had to compete for spaces in universities and graduate schools, jobs and assets under management -- with those who had all the advantages (rich parents) that I did not," he wrote. "May meritocracy be part of a new form of government, which needs to be established."

Showing outrage over Congress' failure over the last eight years to rein in "the predatory lending practices of now mostly defunct institutions," he urged that billionaire activist George Soros launch a forum to rethink the "corrupt" U.S. capitalist system.

Lahde closed by arguing for the legalization of hemp and marijuana. He called hemp "an alternative food and energy source" and labeled marijuana laws "ludicrous."

"My only conclusion as to why it is illegal is that Corporate America, which owns Congress, would rather sell you Paxil, Zoloft, Xanax and other . . . drugs than allow you to grow a plant in your home without some of the profits going into their coffers."

In other words: Put all that in your pipe and smoke it.

This LAtimes reporter is darn jealous.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:11 pm 
Black Thumb

Awesome. I would love the opportunity to write something like that to someone at some point in my life. I have been thinking about doing some writing on the side for a few weeks now.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:53 pm 
Bitter Canadian

Ploid must never stop comming to our forums.

Ploid for prez 2018!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:10 pm 
Random Man

Ok it wasn't 80milion. Maybe more, maybe less. I have a feeling it's 8 figures though since he started the statement at 9 ("Moreover, I will let others try to amass nine, ten or eleven figure net worths. Meanwhile, their lives suck.").

And from the LAtimes report.
Quote:
"I was in this game for the money," Lahde wrote in the two-page missive, saying he would now focus on his personal portfolio of unspecified millions.

So yea I say he's $99,995,002.23 rich. Time for him to build a empire with the money and leave it in the hands of a fool when he die.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:40 pm 
Cock atrice

BC means 2016 :p

Lucky bastard, I wish I had the kind of money he has =(