It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:30 am 
Random Man

The news is from this magazine. I don't know the name of it.

Quote:
Online play is official now. Minor details available but here we go

The game consists of 3 major parts concerning online gameplay

Story Part
Live Part
Quest Part

The Story Part and Live Part are seamless and a Town Square is mentioned. Speculation here, but my guess is when you enter a city, you get transferred to a server or what not. Up to 16 avatars (players) can be in any given Town Square. From there, you can party up with up to 4 players to go questing and what not. Items can also be traded between players, though details aren't available yet.

Not sure if this is from Famitsu or Dengeki

Quote:
I saw the scans mention that in town square you can have 16 players and when doing quest the max member in a party is four?

Sounds like MH (Monster Hunter).

Looks like ffxi'ish without time sinks and a good ability to do things on your own, whenever you feel like it. I hope it's good!

Video:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22717.html Small box
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25932.html Big box

Weird customization video with a asian celebirty or something http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... 68633.html

Fight
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25314.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25488.html

Maybe this will get SE off their butts and make FFXIII online mp too.

Last edited by Ploid on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:47 am 
Juggernaut Search & Rescue

boobs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:37 am 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

:yes:
the boobs, not the mmofail

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:38 am 
Random Man

This game will so be mine. Clickable for big size. Looks like you'll be able to customize your mech. Black mech comin through.

old scans
Image Image Image
Image Image

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:03 pm 
Cock atrice

The game, looking from the scans, is Level-5's White Knight Chronicle.

I always thought it was just a single player game...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:00 pm 
Random Man

They were just hush hush on the multiplayer aspect. They were making a game for Xbox like ffxi called True Fantasy. Microsoft canceled it and Level-5 really wanted to finish it. Since Microsoft owned the game's name and assets they made an entirely new game, and implemented the things they researched and developed from True Fantasy to aid them in White Knight's online. It's not massively online multiplayer, but 16 players. The cities are lobbys, you meet up and head out from the city. I guess that's like phantasy star, or monster hunter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:59 am 
Random Man

Online MP video (stream like youtube, but with a french twist)
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video/white-knight-story.html

Oh man, oh man, oh man! Reminding me of ffxi. No gilsellers, no bottlenecks, no subscription fees, pause, no worries. Omg!

Holee crap man. This game, mine, now, in mah belly!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:19 am 
Random Man

Quote:
Just a few minutes ago, one of the most anticipated games of Tokyo Game Show was formally unveiled to the media: White Knight Chronicles (called Shirokishi here in Japan). I sat in on the session and, um, chronicled it for you here:

Kentaro Motomura, Producer of White Knight Chronicles, first runs down some key points – Level-5 created this RPG especially for the PLAYSTATION 3, with a key differentiating element of a transforming hero. They’re trying to do something new with this mechanic. You can play solo, or in a group of up to 4 online (more on that later).

Motomura-san gives a quick rundown of the story and then plays a trailer detailing these scenes: During the princess of Balandor’s coming of age ceremony, a group known as the “Wizard” raids the kingdom looking for the power of “Knight.”

A young man named Leonard escapes into a cellar and finds a mysterious set of armor, which transforms him into the White Knight, and he defeates the Wizard’s enormous monster. However, the princess was kidnapped during the battle. Leonard sets off with his newfound power to find the kidnapped princess.

The trailer also reveals a number of other characters, huge beastly monsters, even larger armored creatures, and Leonard’s transformation into the titular White Knight (who is clearly a bad ass). The trailer concludes with a bat-winged airship flapping off into the stratosphere.

Motomura-san now describes the concept of the world – an authentic fantasy world created on an enormous scale. One of the characteristics is that there are lot of enormous creatures in the game, such as a monster so large, it has a town on its back.

Next, character transformation designs are shown – the White Knight, the Black Knight, and the Dragon Knight, which has a pair of wings. All are huge (7 meters high).

More details on who these powerful characters are *before* they transform: Leonard is a young man who works for a wine merchant before being drawn into the events detailed above. Cisna is the aforementioned princess. Yulie and Eldore provide support to Leonard. Yulie is a childhood friend of Leonard, while Eldore is a mysterious warrior lending advice to Leonard.

There are many more major foes shown as well.

OK, now what you were really pining for: the Battle System. Players can freely register commands into the “function palettes”. You can create and name your own combos to be used in an active-time battle using simple controls. Many, many combinations are possible.

Macros (ffxi was the first place I heard of macros. I wasn't a pc person and found word processors had it later).

Quote:
Motomura-san talks more about the Knights for which the game is named. Sometimes you (and your friends) are going to come face-to-face with incredibly large enemies, impervious to most of your attacks. But you’ll likely want to transform into one of the huge Knight characters. But it’s possible to fight successfully with a mix of small and transformed warriors.

There will be significant character customization in WKC as well. The created avatar will take part in the epic story Leonard’s companion

Online vs offline mode: When offline, Leonard is the main character and plays through the story. When online, up to 4 players cooperate to battle as their created character. A video demonstrates a number of characters traveling together through the countryside, the customization options. Male and female characters are shown, with vastly different looks. The type of character (warrior, magic user, etc) is customizable as well. Players can invite others from within the game, and another joins.

The group is then shown taking on a huge troll with a giant club. More areas are then shown, countryside, towns and castles, and other vistas and landscapes.

Now Motomura-san explains the fusion of offline and online modes. Players share money, items, and levels that are earned in one mode into the other. Motomura-san mentions that there are many more new elements to this that will be revealed later.

At first I thought this meant that partied players share the same equipment, but it's one player keep his equipment from quest mode, and vice versa.

Quote:
During the Q&A, Motomura-san assures “a huge number” of online quests, and reiterates that it’s different from the offline “story” mode. It’s basically 2 RPGs in one title.

Shirokishi hits Japan on Christmas Day. There’s not yet a set release date for North America or Europe, but you can be sure we’ll announce that information on the PlayStation.Blog when it happens. Look for more on White Knight Chronicles throughout TGS – we’ll be sure to link out to the best coverage. In the meantime, we’ve got lots of screens here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:26 am 
Keyboard Cowboy

Looks pretty fkn sweet. You'll defo have 1/4 ppl for the online mode right here ^.-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:48 am 
Random Man

For sho.

I found more from a thread.

This might be better than reading all that text in those quotes in my last post.

http://www.gamekyo.com/videoen13314_white-knight-story-press-conference-at-tgs-2008.html

Don't screw this up Level 5!!!

And get to work on Dark Cloud 3 after you're done!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:04 am 
Keyboard Cowboy

I is in a awesome mood atm. Me and Up finally have the money to send off my 2nd lot of forms. Jus need to get a copy of my birth certificate & fill them out then we are sorted. O and i have to go let a Doctor feel me up. AKA physical -.-

That one step to having a job, aka having income to spend on retarded amount of video games ^^

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:06 pm 
Random Man

Ah nice, gratz. Personally I would have took UP to Europe. lolAmerica (don't worry I'm not running for president ever. I can say that).

You should have signed up for playstation underground (playstation.com USA). They gave out a couple of killzone2 betas for the US. I didn't get one ><.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:10 pm 
Keyboard Cowboy

I am signed up to PSU. I got a LBP beta tht way on monday lol. Gave it to a RL fren.

Did u have to sign up to get them. Or were they just sent out randomly?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:22 pm 
Cock atrice

Screenshots look awesome...
Mass Eden exodus to White Knight Chronicle??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:55 pm 
Random Man

Oraphin: they're sent randomly. :(

If the game is good, and the online isn't gimped I'll be there. Like I said I would have been happy with FFXII online modes. This sounds good so far. I just hope you aren't limited to fighting bosses online. I want to go through raids, explore things, and be surprised online. So this and resistance 2 has a bit of a mmo feature.

In resistance 2 (a fps) you join with 8 other people and fight through a campaign that's made like a mmo raid. The developers use terms like DOT, DPS and such. There is a mage, a guy that supply the team with ammo (refresh), and a tank that shields the team from oncoming fire and is in the front line. I'm getting that game on day one (Nov. 4th). I'm not sure what the equipment and such are that you gain. Oh did I mention you also level and gain exp in Resistance 2? lol'

More on the showing of white knight.

Quote:
White Knight Chronicles has changed a lot since we played it at Tokyo Game Show last year. Our conclusion at the time was that the game would be a gorgeous JRPG with an intriguing, customizable battle system; an exciting prospect for RPG-starved PS3 owners to be sure. However, after today's White Knight Chronicles presentation, we're sure the game has the potential to be much more than that.

A Level-5 employee introduced us to the game's story: It follows a boy and his search for a kidnapped princess slash love interest after discovering a conveniently hidden set of magic armor ... a tad clichéd (even by Japanese standards). In order to demonstrate the game's sense of enormity and scale we were shown a few concept pieces for the game. While rolling plains and towering castles are par for the course when it comes to JRPGs, it's been a while since we've seen an entire town straddled atop an enormous creature.

We covered the battle system quite extensively at TGS last year. We took the opportunity to space out a little while the developers explained how to link character abilities together into combos, using the palette menu and how Leonard can transform into the eponymous White Knight. Not that we were bored -- the battle system was the only thing that really set White Knight Chronicles apart. Until it was revealed that the game would have a four-player online mode, that is.

When online play was announced we assumed it would be a tacked-on extra, a back-of-the-box value add, but the rest of today's presentation centered around this aspect of the game. Even though White Knight Chronicles' Japanese release date is December 25th 2008 – only two and a half months from now – Level-5 wasn't keen on sharing many details of the online mode. Instead, we were given an overview of the feature, which was enough to illustrate that this is more than just an "extra."

16-player in-game lobbies will allow you to team up with up to three other White Knight Chronicles players and participate in instanced quests. Level-5 would not say exactly what form these would take, but they did show a cooperative, arena-style battle against a large monster. Each player's character will look unique, thanks to a deep "Avatar" character customization editor, used in the later parts of the single-player game in order to generate some of Leonard's party members.

Leveling up gives you points with which to buy more skills from a wide variety of different types, allowing you to further customize your character with an individual skill set. These skills – along with your money, items and experience level – will all transfer from the offline game to the online mode. Thanks to an in-game invitation system, you can be called upon at any time, even while in single player. Accepting the invitation saves your data and brings you straight into the online party.

From there you can emote and text chat to your heart's content. You can also check out your party's skills and suggest combo improvements. Is it your buddy's birthday? Head on over to the store and let them pick out a new weapon. Once all that's done and you've assembled an elite team of monster hunters, you can head into the adventure (whatever form they may take). Level-5 were also sure to mention that "further new elements that connect the story and MO elements are to be introduced." (Well, we'd hope so!)

Level-5 seemed content to have only scratched the surface of White Knight Chronicles' online mode, revealing the outline of a feature that, if executed properly, could almost be an entire game in its own right. (Think bundling MGO with Metal Gear Solid 4 ... except without the whole Konami ID debacle.)

A post-presentation Q&A session revealed little more: Level-5 was unable to confirm whether the game would be region locked and was unable to talk about the number, or type, of online modes. All that could be said was that there would be a "huge number" of online modes/levels (oh, is that all?). Sadly, Level-5 has also not yet decided whether to include voice chat in the game. Level-5, here's a hint: are you serious? Do it.

Considering the nation's apparent disinterest in online play, it's interesting that a Japanese developer is one of the first to make such a progressive move in the RPG genre, fusing a single-player RPG with MMO-esque elements. From the sounds of it, this could prolong White Knight Chronicle's life in the same way that multiplayer has prolonged Call Of Duty 4's or Halo 3's, while bringing an increasingly stale genre kicking and screaming into the brave new world of multiplayer gaming. Now make with the details, Level 5. We'll be waiting.

Youtubed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvNfjLmcYQk&fmt=18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:13 pm 
Random Man

Eurogamer preview:

[img]White Knight Chronicles Preview

Preview by Keza MacDonald

At first glance, White Knight Chronicles doesn't appear to be pushing the JRPG envelope. It starts with a captured princess and a young boy charged with retrieving her, it's set in a medieval fantasy world, it features characters who can transform in battle to enhance their abilities. But what Level-5 is attempting is actually something new for the genre. In a country where popular online console games are still a relative rarity, White Knight Chronicles is attempting to seduce Japanese gamers into playing an online RPG by giving them everything they're used to from single-player ones.

The online and offline portions of White Knight Chronicles are entirely separate. You can't play the offline story co-operatively with friends, or play missions from the online game alone. The single-player game is an epic fantasy story starring a transforming hero; online it's a mission-based multiplayer game for up to four players, structurally far more similar to Phantasy Star than, say, Final Fantasy XI. White Knight Chronicles is two games in one, rather than online and offline versions of the same thing.

"Players should be able to find it really easy to play both an online game and an offline game, in the same title," Level-5's studio head Akihiro Hino reckons, as we catch up with him in Tokyo. "When we started working on the plan for White Knight Chronicles three years ago, there were not many online games available here in Japan. We wanted to create an online game that could convey that multiplayer fun to as many people as possible - a game in which players could casually move from online to offline."
Naturally there is some interplay between the two game modes. Your single-player level might affect which quests are available in multiplayer, and certain items will be transferable. But it is the developer's expectation that the majority of gamers, at least in Japan, will only try their hands at the online multiplayer once they've completed the single-player story, so it's important that the two sides of the game function completely independently.

White Knight Chronicles stars Lenard, a boy caught up in disastrous events in his kingdom's palace during the princess' coming-of-age ceremony. A rebel group called Wizard captures the princess and razes the palace to the ground, and Lenard finds himself stumbling upon a magical piece of armour as he attempts to flee. This armour gives him the ability to transform into the titular White Knight, a seven-metre-tall, ancient warrior who could be mistaken for a giant white Gundam robot.

The game's battle system is built around this ability, and the main theme running through the gameworld is the contrast between micro and macro. It's a game obsessed with scale, throwing you into battles with gigantic, Shadow of the Colossus-scale bosses and set in a world where entire towns are built on the backs of towering leviathans. Lenard's transformation gauge isn't just a gimmick, or a way to take a few extra hit points off an enemy; it's at the heart of WKC's large-scale battles, and gives them a lot of visual impact.

Level-5 has faced a considerable challenge in creating a battle system that works equally well in a co-operative RPG and a single-player one. The emphasis is on personalisation and visual flair; it uses timed button-presses to simulate cool-looking, action game battles, both large-scale and small. You can arrange different moves in sequence in the battle menu, so instead of seeing the same combo attacks in every battle throughout the game, you can arrange for Lenard (or anyone else in your party) to strike an enemy a few times before throwing him up into the air with the sword, then use a fireball spell, then smack him back down to earth again, for instance.

The move-set customisation looks really flexible, and the moves for each different weapon and type of magic can be combined freely. Switching between combo sets is going to be a big part of battle strategy in WKC, and especially in multiplayer, it will be interesting to see how players combine their combos for the most effective and visually arresting battle strategy. "We wanted to achieve a battle system that can work both in online and offline modes, and so we wanted to provide a command set-up system that makes sure players can easily reflect their own battle styles, preferences and tactics," Hino explains.

Given that repetitive and boring battling is one of the chief problems afflicting even the best JRPGs, WKC's system is an intriguing alternative. The extent of each weapon's move-set is unknown, and it will be difficult to incorporate enough variety and customisation to keep things interesting through all 100 hours of WKC's single-player storyline as well as online, but what we've seen so far is encouraging.
As well as creating your own battle combos, White Knight Chronicles also lets you create your own avatar, who turns up both in the online game (as your player character) and offline as an incidental character in the main plot, accompanying Lenard and colleagues for the latter part of the story. We caught only the barest glimpse of the game's character customisation, but the fact that it includes an ear angle slider suggests that it's rather more comprehensive than we'd expect for the genre. Hopefully, then, the online world won't be populated by identikit avatars with slightly different swords.

We won't have to wait long to find out, of course, because White Knight Chronicles will be released on 25th December in Japan. Bizarrely for a game so close to release, there are still a lot of important questions unanswered. We've seen that you can use text and emotes to communicate in multiplayer, but Level-5 won't yet confirm whether or not the game will support voice chat. We've seen players invite their friends to play an online mission and gather in a lobby, but we've not seen how it's possible to meet new players and make new friends online.

Given that this is a Level-5 game, we know that White Knight Chronicles has a high chance of hitting the mark as a traditional-but-compelling RPG in single-player, and the battle system really does look impressive. But the developer's lack of previous experience with multiplayer and reluctance to confirm specific details about how things like communication and picking up quests are going to work has us concerned that the online mode will end up as a peripheral feature, rather than the incredible co-operative JRPG experience that Western audiences have been hoping for.

Look out for our review in the New Year to find out.
White Knight Chronicles is due out on 25th December in Japan, and should be out in Europe next year. It's a PS3 exclusive. [/img]

Hm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:35 am 
Cock atrice

game reminds me of phantasy star online, not necessarily a bad thing tho

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:27 am 
Random Man

new screens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:42 am 
Random Man

The game is out in japan :( no date for the US yet.

About the stumpy looking legs, the tv is at an angle so it looks like they have short shins in some of the pictures.

facial expressions
voice - 15 of them
body settings
face settings
more settings
standard face
raised eyebrow
mole on face
wrinkles
small eye center

random field pic
monsters