It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New anime thread.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:59 am 
Back Sheep

Speaking of NGE, Eudon, did you know they're doing a remake series?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:09 am 
Random Man

Quote:
Fuushigi Yuugi (Really old anime about two highschool girls who get sucked into a book, separated into rival groups trying to summon Seiryu/Suzaku in order to gain 3 wishes)

Oh snap!! Interest +20

Quote:
EDIT: btw these series are fairly short compared to shitty stuff like Naruto where they try to drag it on and on and milk every single thing out of the anime... I fricken hate those super long ass series that just won't stop coming out with shit.

Same, we're not brothers for nothing. I look at some anime sagas that have like 300 episodes and proceed to look the other way lol. Some day I'll have a place for those. Maybe when we can download information to our cyber brains (oh snap a ghost in the shell reference! Not intended but hey it fits).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 am 
Cock atrice

There's Tekkaman, Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Giant Robo and the various Macross series, Galaxy Railway 999, Gatchaman, Space Warship Yamato, Harlock Saga, Lupin the Third and Saint Seiya.

Recently, there's Mushishi and an anime that's being released weekly right now called Shigofumi which I particularly enjoy. There's also an hour long movie called Byousoku 5 Centimeter which has amazing animation quality.

In closing, I'll mention Doraemon just for kicks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:55 am 
Noodlebear

Yea I'm aware of the NGE remake, was already in theatres in Japan. The newer movies aren't out for awhile... Think there were like.. 3 more?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:20 am 
Old Lady Hater

Ploid wrote:
Oh and I must say. (Death note Spoiler in yellow so if you have a dark eden theme, careful.)

I was stinkin sad at the outcome of death note at the end. Man, I was cheering for light to win, although he pissed me off when he would kill nice people like that news reporter classmate of his and saying he would kill all that knew about the book, even that kira dude that got picked on a lot that was currently helping him. Light was cold but I hated the L, N, and M characters. I hated how they always eat and play with things (for l's case eat+play with his food). I hated how those dudes always got things right and especially at the end. How could one slip up cost light the whole game. Yea I looked at is as if it was a sports game or a game of chess where i'm inside of both players head, but they both cheat too much (cheat as in get computer like clues that no normal human would be able to figure out or process). Poor Light :( and Misa suiciding at the end was also sad.

I was cheering for Light to win the whole way through :( I did like L, I thought he was kind of a sad charachter, but once he kicked it and Near and Mello came into it, it all felt like filler. And I hated Misa-Misa.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:23 am 
Galkan Sausage

Here's my list, and yeah I spent a long time on it :3 (and cheated and looked up what I remember seeing but forgot the title lawl)
Closed series (for the most part):
Trigun - definately a must see for any anime fan. Anime meets westerns and basically no incredibly annoying characters.
Neon Genisis Evangelion - probably the best series ever on so many levels; you'll need to watch it at least like three times before you understand anything about it. Be sure to see the movies for it too otherwise the last two episodes of the 26 ep series will leave you suicidal.
Ghost in the Shell/GitS: Stand Alone Complex - I think the series is better than the movie, and it's one of the few animes with the great English and JP voices. Basically futuristic Japan that follows special crime fighting units; I managed to follow the series through adult swim for the most part, saw the movie off torrent.
Cowboy Bebop - Nuff already said. Go see the movie for it if you haven't already!
Full Metal Alchemist - Long series, about 54 episodes iirc plus a movie that goes on at the end of the story and some manga to finish it off; pretty good but a big time investment. You'll like it if you like classical plays like the Odessey and such.
Escaflowne - Decent series; it's kinda like ffxi meets mech anime meets 'The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.' So if you're into any 2 of those 3 it's worth checking out; the movie that goes with it is basically a synopsis of the entire series only less drawn out, less explained, and fewer characters/emotional ties.
Blue Gender - A mech series of 26 episodes set in a post-apocolyptic future with giant bug like creatures having taken over almost every inch of ground and humans are essentially forced to flee to space stations. I kinda wanna watch it again now but a friend has my dvd collection and he's a few hundred miles away lol.
Berserk - Medieval fighting fantasy series; I haven't seen the last episode yet I think because I couldn't find it and gave up lol. It's pretty leet and the main character is a total badass.
Desert Punk - I got it off itunes this summer and I'd say it was worth every penny. Hilarious series with some serious moments and a good story; the name kinda says it all and I'd definately check it out. It's got a lousy start, almost too childish, but it moves on quickly and has a great ending.
Outlaw Star - A solid series; one episode was completely banned from cartoon network, and if you see it you'll know why LMAO. Space action and comedy with a bit of dramma too.
Last Exile - Sort of similar to Eurkea 7 as far as I can tell; watched it a long time ago from torrents and it was a really good storyline with some strong characters. Takes place in a future sort of world with flying aircraft carriers and big flying battleships and fights and wutnot, good stuff. Ending gets more abstract iirc, dunno if I ever finished it. Worth checking out.
.hack//sign - I'm aware it goes on in different parts and videogames and wutnot, but the 26 base episodes are pretty good; gets very abstract and wutnot but meh. It's decent if you don't intend to dive in head first to all the other crap that goes with it and are content with the base story.
FLCL - Fooley Cooley; there's probably like 9 episodes of it ever made, rest were cut cuz of funding iirc but there's a lot of magna on it. It has possibly the best soundtrack of any series I've seen though and it's an incredibly cheap buy almost anywhere you look.

Open series:
DB/DBZ - lol... moving on...
Naruto - Anything before episode 160ish is good with a lot of exceptions lol; after that [seen up to about 220 iirc] the writers pretty much are clinging to any little bullshit irrelevant idea in order to postpone the actual story (see: DBZ/One Piece rly). Best episodes are when Lee gets a lilttle booze in him... (drunken boxing :D) but that's not until like episode 104 at the earliest iirc. I YouTube'd it all about two years ago in the summer when Naruto first came on cartoon network and kinda flopped. [side note: totally dropped it when some asshole started showing up to my math discussion classes with a naruto headband he made for himself. i could no longer be associated with that on any level].
One Piece - Completely butchered by cartoon network so I've only seen limited pieces of it that were all horrendously shitty. Even so, never seen anything good about it.
Yu Yu Hakusho - Another series that takes the DBZ formula pretty much stride for stride, but it's got its moments and I remember liking it back when I first saw it in 8th grade or so. Wouldn't bother if you totally despise DBZ though.
Gundum Anythings - I've seen like 20 episodes of maybe six different series; could never get into it. The one I saw the most, not by choice but b/c it was on cartoon network when I got home in like 7th grade, was the one where they had the tournament that was non-lethal and incredibly lame. That probably turned me off the series forever; I think it was called Gundum Seed or Wing, not sure though.
Inu Yasha - Girl version of DBZ; only saw what cartoon network showed and even when it's just playing in the background while I do something else it's incredibly boring and easy to follow.

Movies:
Spirited Away - Awesome movie.
Akira - You already know.
Ninja Scroll - There's a series too; never heard anything good about it though. Movie is pretty badass and follows the Trigun formula almost exactly except in ninja style instead of western.
Princess Mononoke - I vaguely remember it, but it's a pretty big one. I think it's sort of like Blue Gender with respect to the bug stuff but very different otherwise; no mechs iirc.
Blue Submarine No. 6 - I remember seeing it once on cartoon network a long time ago, back when toonami was actually running and worth watching. It's got a bunch of weird stuff in it; good from what I remember. Sort of similar to Last Exile with respect to the giant ships.
Idk if these count as anime but they are very jp and very gewd:
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within - I liked it. Not really related to 7 or any other ff I can think of other than there's the giant mothercrystal sort of ideaology and wutnot.
Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children - who hasn't seen this five times already?

Classics:
Lupin the 3rd - Pretty funny series if you can get past the 1960's animation.
Speed Racer - If you haven't seen at least 10 episodes of this you're not a true anime fan.
Astro Boy - Just watch whatever cartoon network gives you, that's enough lol.

Stuff I've only seen 1-6 episodes of:
Wolf's Rain - Good but only followed through CN and they never showed it all.
Eureka 7 - character was way to whiney, dropped it.
Serial Lane - Haven't seen it all but it's kind of like a cult classic for anime.
The Big O - Giant mechs; 26 series I think. Only seen about a third of it and wasn't too drawn into the story: everyone in a city gets amnesia 20 or 40 years ago and this guy is an investigator and uncovers shit and wutnot. I'm probably making it sound worse than it is, but either way I wouldn't make it one of the first series you check out.
Chobbits - Robots with on switches in their vaginas, what's not to like?
Love Hina - Thought it was hentai, muhbad. Not rly but I don't remember what it was about other than a clusterfuk of pussy chasing.
Excel Saga - Strangest shit ever, too weird for me. Main character dies like 6 times in the first five minutes iirc.
Samuria Champloo - Only seen about half the episodes myself, but it's a great series just based off that. Friend of mine has watched it over probably four or five times when he first got it too.
Azumaga Daiho (sp?) - Incredibly funny from the first few I saw.

That's all my memory can stretch to think of atm, but that's probably everything I've ever seen, which is probably fail compared to like anyone else that just listed their favorites but owell; I was bored so wuteva.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:35 pm 
Goblin Smithy

Quote:
Berserk - Medieval fighting fantasy series; I haven't seen the last episode yet I think because I couldn't find it and gave up lol. It's pretty leet and the main character is a total badass.

It ends at episode 25, if your thinking there's an episode 26. Read the manga if you want more of the story.

And run away from Fuushigi Yuugi. I hate girly animes (ones where the main character girl cries basically through out the entire series) and this one was one disguised with some action.

Although I've watched alot of them before, I got tired of the harem animes (one loser guy, tons of chicks who all want him because he's really a nice guy, aka nerd fantasies) because they all follow the same formula.

Slayers is another good one, but kind of old. Medieval comedy setting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:18 pm 
Keyboard Cowboy

If u wanted to watch naruto, i will dig my brain to try to remember where to watch upto in the series. Cos there is about 100 eps of filler towards the end. -.- U basically watch upto tht ep. watch the last one. Then watch shippuden. That way u miss all the BS XD

In the Manga, between naruto and shippuden, there is a short story about kakashi when he was younger which was pretty gewd ^^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:24 pm 
Back Sheep

superfob wrote:
Although I've watched alot of them before, I got tired of the harem animes (one loser guy, tons of chicks who all want him because he's really a nice guy, aka nerd fantasies) because they all follow the same formula.

Agreed Superfob, harem animes are the worst. Seen one, seen them all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:40 am 
Random Man

Xepheria wrote:

I was cheering for Light to win the whole way through :( I did like L, I thought he was kind of a sad charachter, but once he kicked it and Near and Mello came into it, it all felt like filler. And I hated Misa-Misa.

When Misa first showed up I was all psyched and thinking, "what a twist!" but as episodes with her went on I got tired of her. Especially the third person talk. Maybe if she wasn't so willing to do whatever Light wanted, no matter what just as long as he said he loved her or kiss her. That was just stupid and she was being a stupid pawn and liking it (edit: well maybe not a pawn since she wasn't disposable and actually useful and powerful towards Light's goal. Queen would be more accurate. A queen that behave and take orders as if she was a worthless pawn). Why did two shikigami give their life for her I'll never know.

I liked the Mikami character. Great back story and reason for helping kira, and he I like the way he say (sounds like) Sag-a-joe (eliminate) when he write people's names down. Sagajo sagajo sagajo sagajo sagajo (like a sound of a locomotive or something picking up steam). Good crazy loco character.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:52 am 
Not getting laid by Kreuz

My eyes. :eyecrazy:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:08 pm 
Better than Kooyo

watkins!

send me ur stuff T_T

(still 60 brd omf waited for u)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:44 pm 
Galkan Sausage

nowai, im waiting w/ 60 pld rly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:50 pm 

Neg, done with FFXI for awhile but not quitting. Going to take some time off for college and stuff. I'll probably be back during the summer when I have nothing better to do and then finish PUP. Make your BRD wait till then and we can get 75 in a few days. Np.

Who knows, maybe ffxi won't suck then.

But I already gave my expensive stuff like Kraken etc to Nightfall, so bug her if you want them (even though she'll never surrender them!)

:nonono:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:35 pm 
Gender Illusionist

Quote:
But I already gave my expensive stuff like Kraken etc to Nightfall, so bug her if you want them (even though she'll never surrender them!)

:pissed:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:26 pm 
Random Man

What use could you possibly have for kraken. And why would he trust you :nonono:

BAM I used the no no on Amy!!! BAM!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:59 am 

All your jobs suck with Kraken Amy. Level DRK and you can have it. :nonono:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:34 am 
Gender Illusionist

waiting for a certain something before i level drk :fear:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:38 am 
Back Sheep

If you guys don't like torrents, go here to http://www.crunchyroll.com and it has the majority of anime there if it isn't licensed, even then some are still up that are. It's free and no need to sign up to watch either. Just you have a low quality vid that's streamed but it's not bad especially if you have no tolerance for the speed of some torrents. You have limited bandwidth per day, but you can easily get 6-7 episodes in a sitting. Give it a try.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:44 pm 
Random Man

Going through bleach now. Wow, loving it. It has girl characters that don't sound like high pitched buzz saws. For example the death god girl *cool adult mature talking, vs the girl with the hair stars *darn annoying sound. The exaggeration of the girl character's voices is one thing I hate about anime. The dredded girl talking through her nose effect that I hate so much in rl (They think it's cute or some crap). The father seems a bit weird. It's like he has a weird way to suggest quality time with the kids, or just a habbit of being a pervert to his children...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next