It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:55 pm 
Random Man

I have a Compaq Presario SR1103WM that I want to format and reinstall the windows XP that came preinstalled on it. It has some seperate partition that I have no clue on what's inside it (has a lock icon on the Drive). Anyone havee any experience on formating in this kind of situation? My PC runs slow now and the room mate + 10 random people that walk in and out loaded it with MP3 files and random gunk. I want to attempt to use it more often. Do having multiple users slow it down? I had 4, there seem to be a hidden guest user too.

Would I have to buy a windows XP CD? Is there a way I can find my serial code if so and find the OS for download? The Go back function on the pc seems busted, it never allow me to actually go back. Man I hate messing with PCs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:47 pm 
Tunnel Worm

First off that locked partition is your recovery partition. It's the same thing that's on that DVD/CD that came with your computer. Usually you boot into it by pressing F10 when you start the computer up, but your "PC documentation" has the definite key on it.

You'll want to boot into that partition and reformat/reinstall from there. It should have all the options to completely wipe the main partition and then reinstall the OS to "factory default" with all the stuff that came on the computer originally.

And in my experience multiple users does slow it down. If you absolutely have to have multiple users or its easier to do so just make sure when they leave the computer they go Start > log off > log off this user. Not just "switch users" and not just leaving the computer for the screensaver to come on. It'll help on the wear and tear.

Ha...all this from a Mac boy...eat that Gates! bwahahaha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:56 pm 
Random Man

Dude thanks, that sounds awesome and I would have never known how to do that (F-11), although I might have lost my manual and cds that came with the pc (was just printer cd and maybe a monitor cd if I remember correctly). I want a mac, I hear they are way less stressful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:49 am 
Back Sheep

And a lot less gamer friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:40 am 
Tunnel Worm

They are. I can honestly say I've had no trouble with my computer in the year I've owned it. I even installed windows to play ffxi some/do some homework. Good stuff, highly recommended.

It definitely PLAYS MOAR WOW Risbeh though....

If that wasn't a hint then I'll train kregen....oh wait, I'll do it anyways....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:35 pm 
Eden Failure +1

OK! So, this is how I would have done it since i'm a HD nazi. I would have booted to a command prompt and FDISK'd everything.

Then loaded from scratch. Anyone always has a friend who pirates windows software, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:47 pm 
Tunnel Worm

That's what I do when there's no recovery partition. Complete annihilation ftw.

Btw I heard from a uh...friend of a friend that if you reinstall windows and just tell them that you're installing cause your HD crashed they'll give you another key for xp >_> *ahem*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:51 pm 
Peaches 'n Cream

Ya, I reinstalled XP like, 7 times, and when I used it on a diff computer, they blocked the Key. So I was like, "K phone them up", and I told them that my Motherboard cracked because my sister tipped water over it. Or something. So I had to get a new Motherboard.

She gave me a new key. Huzzah!