It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:10 pm 
Random Man

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45971779

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Fixed mortgage rates fell once again to a record low, offering a great opportunity for those who can afford to buy or refinance homes. But few are able to take advantage of the historic rates.

Freddie Mac said Thursday the average rate on the 30-year fixed mortgage fell to 3.89 percent. That's below the previous record of 3.91 percent reached three weeks ago.

Records for mortgage rates date back to the 1950s.

The average on the 15-year fixed mortgage ticked down to 3.16 percent. That's down from a record 3.21 percent three weeks ago.

Mortgage rates are lower because they track the yield on the 10-year Treasury note, which fell below 2 percent. They could fall even lower this year if the Fed launches another round of bond purchases, as some economists expect.

Average fixed mortgage rates hovered around 4 percent at the end of 2011. Yet many Americans either can't take advantage of the rates or have already done so.

High unemployment and scant wage gains have made it harder for many people to qualify for loans. Many don't want to sink money into a home that they fear could lose value over the next few years.

Previously occupied homes are selling just slightly ahead of 2010's dismal pace. New-home sales in 2011 will likely be the worst year on records going back half a century.

Builders are hopeful that the low rates could boost sales next year. Low mortgage rates were cited as a key reason the National Association of Home Builders survey of builder sentiment rose in December to its highest level in more than a year.

But so far, rates are having no major impact. Mortgage applications have fallen slightly on a seasonally adjusted basis over the past four weeks, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association.

To calculate the average rates, Freddie Mac surveys lenders across the country Monday through Wednesday of each week. The average rates don't include extra fees, known as points, which most borrowers must pay to get the lowest rates. One point equals 1 percent of the loan amount.

The average fee for the 30-year loan fell to 0.7 from 0.8; the average on the 15-year fixed mortgage was unchanged at 0.8.

For the five-year adjustable loan, the average rate declined to 2.82 percent from 2.86 percent. The average on the one-year adjustable loan fell to 2.76 percent from 2.80 percent.

The average fee on the five-year adjustable loan rose was unchanged at 0.7; the average on the one-year adjustable-rate loan was unchanged at 0.6.

Hmm maybe hold off on buying a house or refinancing for the awesome 1.5%

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

FIX IT VD.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:26 pm 
Black Thumb

You are aware that I get bitched at about stuff like this all the time at work, right?

Seriously, people are retarded. I actually had a guy ask (seriously) why we charged 4% for a home equity line of credit (2nd mortgage) and only gave him 1% back. He thought that being that they were using his money for loans (which is true, banks use deposit accounts like checking and savings to fund lending) he should be getting at least 5% on his money in interest. Just to put it in context, I said to the guy "Sir, if you were making more off your money than we were off of lending it, what's to keep you from taking out 200 loans and just depositing them into your savings account to make 1% off of the bank's money. The sense of entitlement is astonishing. It happens a lot with mortgages. I've heard of people who lost 40% of their home's worth as a result of the falling financial market.

The way ours work is this, for example.

2005: Home Value $100,000 (just for round numbers)
85% Loan to Value (Our typical LTV, basically means we'll allow them to borrow 85% of the home's value)
They can use $85,000 in available equity basically as a credit card.

2012: Home Value $75,000 (due to the falling market)
85% LTV
They can use $63,750.

So sometimes these people will have 2nd mortgages for homes that were appraised for 100k that are now worth 75k and they still expect to be able to draw 85k cause that's what their line amount was. For obvious reasons, we can't lend out more than a home is worth in the event of default...otherwise the bank loses a shit-ton of money. Refinancing is even worse because people have their mortgages for $200,000 homes that are now worth $150,000 and they're effectively paying 50k more in loans than they'd ever hope to get back.

Those are pretty good mortgage rates, with my employee discount I can get 2.5%....I do have flawless credit though.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 am 
Random Man

Figured Vedder would spit out the knowledge, delivered.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:20 pm 
Black Thumb

call if ya need one, lulz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:12 am 
Random Man

If I was ever in a organized crime gang I'd choose to be a bank criminal gang. They get away with anything.

Obama to give banks immunity for foreclosure fraud
Quote:
The Associated Press reports that a proposed deal could be announced within weeks. Five banks—Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank and Ally Financial (formerly GMAC)—would pay the federal government $25 billion. About $17 billion would be used to reduce the principal that some struggling homeowners owe, $5 billion more would be used for future federal and state programs and $3 billion would be used to help homeowners refinance at 5.25 percent. Civil immunity would be granted to the banks for any role in foreclosure fraud, and there would be no investigations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:21 am 
Black Thumb

lol

$17 billion isn't shit for reducing principal mortgage loss....the bank I work just got 100,000 Bank of America mortgages (these people never pay their bill). Let's even say that there's $50,000 in mortgages per account (that being very generous on the low side). That's $5,000,000,000 that just one of them sold off to us less than a month ago. And now they're going to be given all that money back.

But seriously, it's a good thing for people despite how shitty it may sound in terms of favoritism...that is if the principal drop actually does trickle down to the customers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:41 am 
Random Man

I figured the banks would make all that back or charge their customers more to compensate. Some people at least want the investigation to continue and to find out who did what and just let everyone know about it while not charging them for anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:53 am 
Black Thumb

idk why people think the banks are to blame for all this, if we'd stop bombing other places we'd have a surplus of money

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 am 
Random Man

Yeah wish there were less showing off of our offense, less deployments, and less defense spending. So much money down the drain just to flex muscles. Thing is I doubt they'd ever bring defense spending down a good deal.