It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Random Reading
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

All the World is Not a Stage:
Why Cops Shouldn't Make More Than Movie Stars

I know this is Facebook and due to societies inability to read messages longer than 140 characters (thanks Twitter), I doubt anyone will actually read this. However if you're still reading at this point, well done! You're past the 140 character barrier and well on your way to being more important than Kim Kardashian and that guy who makes those retarded YouTube videos. If you don't know who that guy is don't worry, it's anyone who makes a YouTube video.

The reason I'm writing this is because I'm really tired of people saying 'police officers should make the amount of money that movie stars should make'. The Fuzz's salary typically comes through the taxes that citizens pay, not always the case, but it's generally accepted that in some way, shape or form, I'm paying a cop to scarf down donuts then attempt to handcuff the guy whose bludgeoning me with a crowbar.

According to Stats Canada, in 2011 there were 69,438 paid police officers throughout the country. A few different websites gave varied results as to who exactly goes where, but the general consensus is that the top paid actors of 2011 were Leo, Johnny Depp, Adam Sandler, Will Smith, Tom Hanks, Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr., Marky Mark, Tim Allen and Tom Cruise. Combined they made approximately $375,000,000 and remember, this is just the top paid actors, if the top paid actresses were included this number would be a lot higher. This number balances out to an average of $37,500,000 per top ten actor. After looking at a bunch of policing websites, a slew of different numbers from different officers, I came to the conclusion that the average every day cop makes around 45k a year. Feel free to judge this number all you want, but I looked so much into it that it seems like a fair number. Since Stats Canada said there were 69,438 paid officers in Canada in 2011, the amount of cash we forked out to pay them is around $3,124,710,000. Holy shit.

So if the top Hollywood stars are making on average 37.5 million bucks a year, then God damn every cop should be making that much! Your logic, not mine. So let's take that amount and multiple it by the number of cops in Canada and you get $2,603,925,000,000. Now you need to subtract the amount of money we're already paying the cops, so the new number is $2,600,800,290,000. Whoop-dee-doo. The population in Canada in 2010 was 33,487,208. Obviously that number is higher now but whatever. If you take the amount of money (that big ass trillion digit thing, but if my childhood taught me anything that number is like a gazillion), each person in Canada would need to be forking out $77,665 a year so pay for their law enforcement. That's right, because you had to get all snooty about how much cops get paid each officer gets like 100,000 donuts a year from each citizen because of you. I really doubt that cop is going to save me from the crowbar-bashing maniac now you dolt. Oh, that number also includes like homeless people n' shit. And you know you're going to have to cover their asses because they sure as hell ain't going to pay. Now that you need to dish out some serious cash, I bet you'll be thinking twice about having to get that stupid scarf for your yappy dog. Once again, your fault.

By the way, remember that this is Canada only. Since it's impossible to tell how much money in the world their really is (thank you very much Google Search. "Advanced Search" my ass), it's safe to say that Canada is now dishing out a high percentage of the worlds money to pay cops to eat their fatasses to death. Also, remember that this is for cops only. I know people say fire fighters and nurses (and maybe murses, but I'm still not sure that's a real thing) should also be paid top Hollywood bucks. Well, well done moron, it's now going to cost me $50,000 for a lap dance because you couldn't keep your stupid mouth shut.

You may also want to take into account that now everyone and their grandmother is going to want to be a cop. Simply (and hilariously) multiplying Canada's population by Marky Mark and the Hollywood Rich Fucks bank accounts and you get $1,255,770,300,000,000. Remember that whole gazillion thing I was talking about earlier? Yeah, that. At least now with everyone making more money than is actually in the world we can afford to pay everyone else’s salaries in Canada. Or not. Whatever. Remember that this is a yearly salary as well. Maybe 2012 was right; because of the amount of money we're going to spend on booze the world is probably going to drink itself to death. I also expect Canada's population to skyrocket because we're all going to be drunk, ALL THE TIME. And we know what happens then. Answer: we pee ourselves.

I realize of course when people say they want cops to make Hollywood money they're actually just implying they want them to make a bit more on average for what they put up with on an hourly basis. But no one actually says that so fuck you.

Post subject: Re: Random Reading
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:43 pm 
Black Thumb

paragraph 5, line 1...he uses their instead of there. Everything is void.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 am 

Auto correct by Microsoft word :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:37 am 
Bitter Canadian

Why wasn't the suggestion that actors should make less or the same as cops??
I'd go to the movies more if it didn't cost 50-100 to go see one.
Also crap entertainment value when you can usually download a new release movie within a couple days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:36 pm 

I considered that but I decidedly to directly reply to what people say.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:41 pm 
Bitter Canadian

oh that was a S3f quote?
well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 pm 

Well now you're just saying that

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:19 pm 
Bitter Canadian

nah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 pm 
Random Man

I didn't read much, just the first few lines. I already went over this about Kobe vs police salary.

Someone thought Kobe shouldn't make more money than cops because all he do is put balls through hoops. I had to show them that's it's entertainment, is't a social thing, and millions of people pay to see it (though some don't even know they're paying, like with a-la-cart cable/dish plans that include sport channels). Also Kobe makes money off of products/endorsements like shoes, jerseys, etc. If it wasn't for the basketball players the rich dudes that own the teams wouldn't make the huge amounts of money they make from it, would it be better if the players made little, while the dudes in suits made everything Banker style? Also it's more than just putting balls through hoops, you actually have to be good at it, and sacrifice a lot of time to keep practicing day in and day out.

For police to get the same money they'd have to be super star police. They'd have to be in multiple places at one time, bring in millions of profits from somewhere (not evidence or something), and they'd have to have popular products that people can't wait to buy. It's not easy being the next coby or white male actor that gets every brain dead popcorn block buster role 3-5 times a year. It sure as heck wouldn't be as easy to be that super star police officer that somehow entered into a super hero role where he makes more money off of endorsements than his actual job.

I actually though about being a actor once, but that market is so cut throat, and I'd already be at a disadvantage being who I am. You have to be like Tom Cruise, or the new guys they are grooming to take over now that their go to guys are getting old (Ryian Renolds for example). At least being a cop is a stable and accessible for most of the people that try to get in.

Edit: also nurses makes more than enough. Well RNs, I have a crazy amount in my family and they are very much happy. Jobs are easy to find, and you're always needed. RNs can do 6 figures a year, that's enough to be very comfortable. The hours may be crazy but if you it's not like you're doing hard labor, get a gameboy like house.

TL;DNR Being a highly successful and rich actor is like winning a mega lotto.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:21 am 
Bitter Canadian

If the players made a lot less money ticket prices wouldn't be so costly and the owner wouldn't be getting any more rich than they already are.
Sports salaries are way out of control. 25 MILLION/year to play fucking baseball? While the hot dog vendor guy gets minimum wage and has probably 0 disposable income. Legit.
C'mon son.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:27 am 
Black Thumb

It's just like any other business. If those people wanted to make 25 million a year hitting a baseball they probably should've worked as hard as these guys did to play baseball...like, idk, their entire lives?

People go to be a cop because it's a 'safe' job, in the sense that there isn't much room for losing your job unless you're a fuckup. Benefits, city/state/county pensions...yaknow?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:31 am 
Bitter Canadian

Most cops I've ever talked to seem like the kids that got pushed around when younger so they get a badge and feel like real men.
Women cops are the worst kind of all, they talk so much trash when they arrest you because they know you can't do a god dammed thing about it.

I don't like cops generally speaking though so maybe I'm a bit bias.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:32 am 
Black Thumb

I too dislike them for the most part...I know cool ones tho too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:37 am 
Bitter Canadian

Went to school with this one girl who eventually became one of those horrible woman cops.
She arrested me once and was a total cunt lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:50 am 
Black Thumb

If someone I knew ever arrested me, regardless of our closeness to one another, I'm 100% sure I'd treat the scenario as a joke.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:38 am 

Women cops are the worst, they all have sticks up their asses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:58 am 
Black Thumb

REMEMBER WHEN YOU USED TO BE A COPPER JBONE?!?!?!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 am 
Random Man

I think the owners are just being greedy with the ticket prices. Also having concession stands and selling merchandise in the arena is just a location location location thing and has no part of the game salary situation. They are getting benefits just having a store in the arena with thousands of hungry people there. Like Walmart having McDonalds inside it, or dudes selling stuff in the middle of the mall. The players bring the crowd and the leeche.. er business people try to capitalize on it.

With the tickets I bet they would lower the price if people stopped buying them. Supply and demand, the money from the tickets are small fry compared to how much they make for broadcasting the games.

For actors and movies, sure they make a lot for opening day sales since the theaters get less of a cut during that time and after they get better share of the profits. Said movies then make more money on pay per view, dvd blu rays, then milk it on programs like HBO, and finally NBC/comedy central level channels.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:55 am 

Yorke wrote:
REMEMBER WHEN YOU USED TO BE A COPPER JBONE?!?!?!

ya, do you remember when you were dating that crazy bitch
Well, that one of the 10s.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:31 am 
Black Thumb

she got less crazy, got more bitchy later