It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MEMREEZ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:28 am 
Black Thumb

I found the forum I used to belong to before I started playing FFXI. Took up quite a bit of time of mine in college on the nights where we didn't go out.

You guys hang out online pre-FFXI?

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

Post subject: Re: MEMREEZ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:37 am 
Random Man

Yep, it's the reason I tried FFXI in the first place. Socom II had a map pack that required a PS2 hdd. That HDD came with ffxi, and some of my Socom 2 friends started trying ffxi, so I joined. Biggest mistake ever. This was like a few months after I discovered online multiplayer too. And that's how I got hooked on a game about fantasy and mithras that want haubergeons.

The thing is, I was on ffxi before I got a chance to get hooked on madden online. I got too far behind how awesome people that play madden in the world were. So it was like me trying to play against someone 30 times my skill level. I'm always on a equal level as my rl friends with games. Even if I get murdered, it's so much more fun irl where you can make verbal, visible, and physical jokes. Also you can read expressions on their face, and look at their play book XD

Last edited by Ploid on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:40 am 
Black Thumb

lol

the one I was on was ff7-oriented...loved that game.

I just checked my postcount....22,243, forum is still alive

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 am 
Random Man

Edit:

Oh wow, ff7 forum, 22k posts? So you must have crossed the emo thread about Aries death? Yeah ff7 was my first ever rpg, and it took me 3 years to finish it lol. I didn't know what rpg was but the game itself blew me away. I don't think role playing game really means what they think it means even today. Every game is a role playing game actually.

As far as forums, I used Neogaf.com. Everything and anything gaming related that I needed to know was there. The off topic forum was awesome. Everyone talked about news that didn't relate to gaming, and it was a good place to go for information.

I still use it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:48 am 
Black Thumb

yeah 22k

www.shinraonline.com

I actually originally joined it because of FF7 but found out quickly that there was better things to discuss. I got into competitive internet flaming a while back (it's more fun than it sounds).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:23 am 
Random Man

I may have crossed this site before. I remember looking for ff7 ring tones, or maybe music. The url sounds familiar.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:53 am 
Bitter Canadian

I did just about nothing online before xi other than pirating music or youtube maybe..
emails don't count right??
7 was pretty awesome when it came out.. no idea they had websites for it back in the day though lol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:06 am 
Black Thumb

Dudes, AIM chatrooms. I used to love those things when there wasn't shit else goin on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:16 am 
Bitter Canadian

I don't think I've ever been in any kind of chat room that I can remember.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 am 
Random Man

Dragon Ball Z clips (youtube wasn't around, and everything was 56k or 20something k). I used Gooey which was some kind of chat room app that worked in a way that it would make rooms for websites. If you went to New York Times website you'd be in a room with everyone that is on the NYT page as well. Met a cool girl on it, and got interested in chatting and voice chat with girls in different countries and stuff. Met one (web only for all the girls) named Jennifer in Paris which tried to teach me some phrases, then I wanted to learn French seriously.

Yahoo chat was where I spent a lot of time. It was pretty much a big room with everyone shouting over everyone. Had to take turns but when you say a few words and get a bite you could make private rooms for one on one. lol thinking about it, it sounds very lame, it was kinda fun though. This was before I could go to bars or cool grown up places.

When I first got a computer and the internetz, I thought it was going to be so awesome. Games everywhere, interesting things to read about, pictures, fast video. I pretty much expected the current state of the internet I think. I was highly disappointed with it. The only game I found was some black and green wireframe asteroid take shooter. I later got the courage to type in babes on aol search. Took a while to click on one of the links and bam my first spam attack. Window after window of near nude advertisements popping up and I couldn't stop it. Turned off the computer, and it was waiting on me when I started it up again. Scared the crap out of me.

Last edited by Ploid on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:23 am 
Black Thumb

It was only fun because of the competitive flaming.

Also, I used to run this website in high school and I used to have all the people give me updates on daily events that happened in school that day. The chatrooms were great for getting the information.

Unfortunately, I wrote an article about how this one girl wanted this one kid's dreidels (sp? he was Jewish) and she took me to the principal's office^^ He was none too excited about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:27 am 
Random Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnzVq2t7bi4

Dreidel dreidel dreidel I made you out of clay
Dreidel dreidel dreidel with dreidel I shall play

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:31 am 
Bitter Canadian

In grade school my class had one jewish girl and she would sing us the menora(sp) (the 7 candle thing) song.. I will try to find it and post cause it was hilarious when I was 10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:34 am 
Black Thumb

It was only bad cause my mom is (and was) a guidance counselor there. She gave my friends and I a strong talking to after that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:37 am 
Random Man

A white girl from New Mexico came to our school, and people made fun of her flat butt. :\

Oh wow VD, your mom worked at your school too? Mine was awesome and would bring my PSX and do other awesome things. It was hard trying to sneak around with girls with her around though. Her office had big windows that kinda over looked the hall. One girl had my coat so I had to stop before her office and take my coat back. She saw it though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:40 am 
Black Thumb

My dad was a history teacher in the same school, lol. My dad is now retired, my mom still works there.

So yeah, it was good and bad. It was bad because I obviously walked in to high expectations (which was fine, cause I got all 95+'s). It was good because I never really got in trouble for stuff that went down. I only got detention once in all 4 years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:43 am 
Bitter Canadian

man you coulda bagged school and coasted probably
All Dad had to do was shake the teachers down in the staff room and npnp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:45 am 
Random Man

Wow VD, dad too.

Yeah I got saved for having my mom work at the school. I had a notoriously evil teacher get on my good side after she found out who my mom was. She even had a scary name, Mrs. Divine, taught political science. I did end up attending a ball because she got on said good side though. It was a small price to pay, the girl that asked me was my friend. She looked smoking hawt in the dress.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:51 am 
Black Thumb

lol

Yeah it was cool for some things. I live literally 200 yards away from my high school so I got to bounce out for lunch and stuff. My bro and I used to puff weezy and drink beers on our lunch break. The only time it became an issue was when the senior prank went down. We burnt '2002' in the grass outside the school and put peanut butter on every single locker lock in the school.

Principal called me down to try and have me rat my friends out. That led to my only detention, for I am not a rat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:00 am 
Random Man

I lived close to school as well. My grandmother lived like 2 blocks away, had a basketball half court, and didn't know if I got out of school early or not. I also was in walking distance to my actual home. After school I could do what I wanted, stay as long as I wanted and go home comfortably. Didn't have to worry about rides. I started a friggen chess club and a and the person that housed it and took care of it was a sargent (J.R.O.T.C. class).

Also living close was good for the football games, and other events.

We're getting so off track of internet forums here lol.