It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:51 pm 
Random Man

Ok the title couldn't hold everything so I just went with "Story is pretty deep." In actuality it's a carefully crafted story about Amurica!! It's past present and future, racism, wealth inequality, politics, etc.. Under all of the cartoony art and somewhat simple on the surface story, there is a harsher grown up story below, one that I'm surprised is in a mainstream game. It's like GTA making fun of America with satire and getting away with it. They are subtle with it and don't beat people over the head.

"Columbia is Comstock's creation, and it, itself, is an idealized version of turn-of-the-20th-century America. Our introduction to Columbia up to the raffle is a fantastic example of the game's message in microcosm: You walk through gorgeous vistas set on cobbled streets in the sky, a quaint town fair awash in symbols of a simpler time. The world seems wholesome, and is a joy to explore; all up until the raffle. Then the curtains are drawn back and the entire picture falls apart: suddenly you realize this world is brutal and unjust. The entire sequence is an incredible gut-punch. It's because you've forgotten; the American past hides a rotten underbelly. I might also add that it may be no mistake that the imagery used to deliver this blow is one of marriage inequality."

How far are you in the game VD?

Last edited by Ploid on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:52 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

I got like 1/4 of the way through the first and never played it again >;

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:05 pm 
Random Man

I didn't make it far in Bioshock 1 also. Too much fetching, and shooting. In this one you can usually run past enemies, but sometimes they require you to kill everything. Due to the story you pretty much have to be a killing machine to reflect on the main character's persona. When you finish the game take a look at this VD. I just beat it, and it's a darn [spoiler]____[/spoiler] ending. Good stuff.

Bioshock Infinite: A Thematic Analysis
http://peripsuche.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0 ... lysis.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:10 pm 
Doesn't work without batteries

I never finished the second. Does that matter much as far as the story for Infinite?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:14 pm 
Random Man

The story is very separate, they touch on some of the elements of the other games (I didn't play Bio2) but you'll get it just by knowing about those games and the setting they were in. I highly recommend renting this. It's short and it might not be too fun to play depending on how much you like the shooting. I was on mouse/kb so I was fighting controls (overly sensitive mouse DPI setting). Heck watching a walkthrough might be just as good, but the world looks so darn pretty that you might want to go look at stuff.

Also I should have put this in the first post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... cBDUbN79rY

Someone made a environment vid with a float camera mod of the opening area. Not much of a spoiler other than the way the game looks, and the music used in that opening.

Edit: Someone noticed that the symbol of the Columbia Authority is a symbol used by KKK. I have to look that up. I have no idea what symbol is used for KKK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... NwHI#t=24s

Now that I think about it, I guess there was KKK in the game, but in blue/black hoods. I remember falling down from a upper level and hurting them (not wanting to fight people) and ended up killing them all as they tried to get to me between the benches. This guy even have KKK in his title, and that symbol is shown at the beginning of his video on the top of the building this video takes place in. So I guess the guy in the above video connected that symbol to these people, not actual KKK. That would be weird to have actual KKK symbols in the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nco#t=283s

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:50 pm 
Random Man

If you guys are open to watching someone go through the game with minimal talking over the story, and soaking up the atmosphere try this series out. I watched one part so far (since I'd rather watch vids than replay through it) and it's pretty good.

http://youtu.be/HFJ0JTaMxUg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:50 pm 
Black Thumb

I beat it.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING DON'T READ ANYTHING

Definitely enjoyed the story a LOT. I can't say I was horribly surprised by the ending because I could tell they had some sort of connection. I'm prolly gonna pick up the DLC for this just to keep the story going.

I knew shit was going down as soon as I pulled 77 first of all.

As I mentioned before, it's probably one of the prettiest games I've ever played. I wish the game was about 15 hours longer though. Some of the little nuances of the game are fantastic. Some of the tears play music from different time periods in the future and things like that. Some of it is just outright creepy (that lady sweeping in the burning down building comes to mind). THE CREEPY BRO/SIS WHAT THE HELL?!?!?

As Ploid mentioned, it's really REALLY American. It's basically a critique on the US and it's almost scary accurate for the time period. The racism toward minorities isn't even masked at all; it's blatant and right out in front of you.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:07 pm 
Random Man

Yorke wrote:
I beat it.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING DON'T READ ANYTHING

Definitely enjoyed the story a LOT. I can't say I was horribly surprised by the ending because I could tell they had some sort of connection. I'm prolly gonna pick up the DLC for this just to keep the story going.

I knew shit was going down as soon as I pulled 77 first of all.

As I mentioned before, it's probably one of the prettiest games I've ever played. I wish the game was about 15 hours longer though. Some of the little nuances of the game are fantastic. Some of the tears play music from different time periods in the future and things like that. Some of it is just outright creepy (that lady sweeping in the burning down building comes to mind). THE CREEPY BRO/SIS WHAT THE HELL?!?!?

As Ploid mentioned, it's really REALLY American. It's basically a critique on the US and it's almost scary accurate for the time period. The racism toward minorities isn't even masked at all; it's blatant and right out in front of you.

-----Spoiler talk----------
I loved those music tears haha. It drove the point that you can leap through time via tears, not just parallels. Old Elisabeth was pretty sad to see, she really went through a ton of crap. Dem emotions.

This video explains the ending perfectly in a bow. The guy talks about string theory and all that very fast and it all makes sense how he explains it. He's a fan of interdimensionally, stories that involve trans dimensional travel, he's a game designer, and a lot of relevant stuff that makes him perfect for explaining this game's ending.

http://youtu.be/hKKAkrnT_o8

Yep DLC is going to be awesome. I'm sure it will be alternate versions of Booker, like Booker the savior of Vox, or some Booker that is becoming Comstock. So many possibilities!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:31 pm 
Black Thumb

Elizabeth's character was fantastic in my opinion, deeper than any other.

It was fun when you first got her out of the tower, just to see she was reacting to the real world around her. Made me think of what it would be like to be imprisoned for your entire life and then getting out to find out how things are.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:41 pm 
Random Man

------Spoiler----------

Yep, good stuff. Everything amazed her, music, and all the things on that beach. I liked the part where she wished she could play the guitar and I clicked on it and the main character ended up playing it for her. Knowing that he was her father now, looking back at all these little thing are much more nicer. It's like he's watching her experience the world for the first time as if he would just raising her up normally (though like us, he didn't realize he was watching his daughter). The player can pay attention to these little details or just ignore it. Playing the game for the story is much more rewarding than playing it for the shooting and vigor abilities.

Also I like the idea that all of us playing this game can be seen as being alternate dimension Bookers picking different vigors, different routes, different styles of play, and so on but all of us end up at the same point, supporting the story. We can take different paths but the illusion of choice is just that, and illusion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:50 pm 
Black Thumb

Quote:
Elizabeth, for example, takes a turn about one-half to two-thirds of the way through the game. She starts out as a smart, headstrong, and innocent girl who looks at much of the world in wide-eyed wonderment and dreams only to be in Paris, a place she’s only seen in paintings and read about in books (and futzed around with in tears, but I guess that’s not really the same thing). It’s hard not to fall in love with her because it’s so hard to not fall in love with genuine, authentic passion. She is infectious in her fervor for exploration and it’s a bug I don’t mind catching.

But then she sees me and, by extension, Booker what we really are: killers. He is a gun and I am the finger that pulls the trigger. I am the one exposing her to murder and death and rampant indecency in a world she previously had filled with nothing but joy and happiness. Her reaction to first seeing me kill is appropriate: she runs. The second time is to rescue her, and she understands the act’s necessity. Then, when she is the one with the crimson-soaked hands, she understands its simplicity, its ease. There is a murderer and a victim and nothing more. What she becomes is still smart and headstrong but jaded. Cynical. Us.

http://www.platformnation.com/2013/04/0 ... +Nation%29

Was just surfing my Twitter feed and this article popped up; I think this pretty accurately states what we're talking about.

Edit: Was thinking of some of my favorite parts when I remembered this:

Bioshock Infinite - Fortunate Son cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsQuTCycrwI

Music example. So damn pretty.

This is one of those games that is about the story I think. Sure it's pretty, sure it's extremely fun, but it's not a shooter like Call of Duty or Halo. Those games are *just* shooters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:09 pm 
Random Man

That article was good stuff. This darn game, I figured I wouldn't replay it but now I'm enjoying going over the little details of the story. I guess I'll try the 1999 mode.

This video blew my mind. I never saw it, and after finishing the game this looks like it was so much of a different game.

http://youtu.be/H0fDEA0BFSM

The mob of people are making indian warcry noises. Probably wounded knee references in his mind? His guilt showing up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 pm 
Black Thumb

I do need some advice; I'm trying to play Bioshock 1 right now (the one that came with Infinite) but it's saying it's 12 GB...how the fk am I supposed to play it? Keeps telling me I don't have space left :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 pm 
Random Man

Time to clean out the refrigerator. Delete the data file (not save file) of the least played game you have installed on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 pm 
Black Thumb

I did that...I guess I'll have to do more.

Had that same problem when I tried to do New Vegas....same damn issue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:12 pm 
Random Man

Could be a glitch. Are you getting exactly 5 or whatever gigs that you need?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:06 am 
Black Thumb

12 lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:31 pm 
Black Thumb

I just beat Bioshock (1)...no wonder they made 3 of these.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 pm 
Random Man

You liked it?

Would you kindly wire $2,999,999 to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:52 pm 
Black Thumb

NICE TRY TRICKY PLOIS

Yeah I really did, not quite as deep as Infinite but a cool story nonetheless.

Wish they'd included 2, I don't wanna spend $20 to play it ;(