It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:26 am 
Random Man

I gotta admit, I've been hobby shopping for a while (like until 2000). I always thought about movies and never really took off with it. I tried buying a crap load of dvds when I got a PS2 but I stopped after a while (started with gladiator and fast and the furious 1 *awesome movies). I am now starting again with blu ray movies and kinda don't know why. I don't even look at movies. The closest I get is listening to the movie play in the background while I do important crap away from the tv. Every time I put a movie in I walk away and forget about it. Then I see how people have 188 blu rays already and wonder what the crap do they do with them. I love extras and commentary. I recommend hellboy commentary as it's darn fun/funny. Serious director commentaries are interesting at times but when producers come in it's just borzzzZZZZZzzzzz.

Oh got into batman begins and want that on blu. Took a lookat the "The Dark Knight" trailer (sit down suka), and BOY Joker is pwn in it. A cool sinister joker. This movie already pwns. Wish it was coming to blu already but gotta wait till it's in the inferior movie theaters. :complain: And yes, inferior. They have huge screens but the theaters I go to have a blurry picture, not sharp and awesome like my tv. Not too fond of their sound either, although it's great, just not the sound level I like (too loud) and it's a bit muffled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkT1wdRePco (I like that last line. Pure pwn :popcorn: )
This trailer is what got me hyped about movies again. It's been around since summer lol. I'm just now seeing it. It's hard to find a HD version that can play on ps3 (wmv hd don't play sound on ps3 due to it being in a format that's not supported by ps3 yet). I only see mov, and that 2.something movie format that ps3 cant play. No divix, mp4, or xvids.
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:39 pm 
Peaches 'n Cream

Dead man walking~

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:36 pm 
Galkan Sausage

too soon wemo, not that im a fan but too soon /tsktsk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:58 pm 
Eden Alumni

The amount of dvd adn VHS I own would astound you. :cat:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:38 pm 
Random Man

Also what be up with Serenity? I heard a lot of hype for this movie and I just don't see it. Well when I first started FFXI there was a drg that would log out whenever Stargate was on even if he finally got a party. I tried looking at that too and couldn't see what everyone was so crazy about that show for either. I also don't get why people like star wars. I like the show galaxy quest so it's not because they are in space that I don't like them (or maybe because galaxy quest poked fun at the space shows).

This is now the movie thread. Scor talk about your dvds. I want to know what movies you have and how many :shock:. Sound like you have a mountain of movies.

Also liked Hitchhikers Guide. Maybe I liked Galaxy and Hitch because they don't take themselves seriously and are comedies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:42 pm 
Eden Alumni

The top shelves of my closet, both sides are stacked with VHS to the top. I have a cabinet full of DVD, and a DVD tower, and 3 cd notebooks full of DVDs. And in my wallet, I have a stack full of movie ticket stubs behind my license that I've seen in the past year.

What can I say? I love movies. :>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:19 pm 
Random Man

Scorsese wrote:
The top shelves of my closet, both sides are stacked with VHS to the top. I have a cabinet full of DVD, and a DVD tower, and 3 cd notebooks full of DVDs. And in my wallet, I have a stack full of movie ticket stubs behind my license that I've seen in the past year.

What can I say? I love movies. :>

Omg you keep your tickets also? I thought I only did that hah. I even keep some of the tickets I get from college games. Some have fancy designs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:38 am 
Keyboard Cowboy

The best "The Dark Knight" poster imo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:23 pm 
Random Man

Holee crap Taken is an awesome movie. Also Europe is a darn scary place to travel to now.

Must see.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:36 am 
LORD HELMET

Is it the movie where they kidnap her daughter to transform her in a bitch when she traveled to France?! (and then he goes there and fuck everybody?!)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:29 am 
Random Man

Yep

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:51 pm 
lolmithrapld

ya just watched this myself, tis a good movie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:02 pm 
Daddy

Anyone remember laser discs? They were the forerunner of DVD. Huge LP sized discs and you needed to change them 3-4 time during the movie because 1 dics couldnt hold a whole movie.

Anyway, a friend of mine ran out an bought about 100 of them when they first came out because "this was the ultimate thing". Then a year later along comes DVD. Now we have blueray. In a few years we will have something else.

Anyway, moral of the story is: don't collect things that become obsolete.

Example: If you have an old, rare, baseball card, people will envy you and want to pay lots of money for it. If you have an old, rare, VHS tape, people will laugh at you and tell you to buy the blueray.

Yes, collecting movies is a hobby, its just not a good one. If you really like a movie and know you want to see it again, but it, but don't collect.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:54 pm 
Random Man

I no longer have VHS movies, well I have them but they look so bad that I pretty much keep them in the box in case I need fire. There are so many DVD players, and blu ray players are getting slimmer. I think collecting blu rays and dvds are ok. I have a lot of PS2 games, and my ps3 collection is growing larger than my PS2's at this rate. It will still work when PS4 comes out. Maybe not on the ps4 but on a ps2 or ps3 (PS3 slim!).

Image Image
Laser Disk was just way too silly. PSP UMDs are way too small, the normal cd size is just right. But the best is iPod size, too bad America isn't like Japan and have fiber optics all over. Slow internet for fast blu ray quality movie downloads. But digital distribution is working with 1080i.

I only buy stuff I like but sometimes I get a random movie in hopes it will surprise me. Ghost Rider Blu Ray was one of those, and Apocalypto Blu was another. I like them both, they look great too. I need to get a pixar movie on blu to see how those look. Didn't like Wall-E all that much, The Incredibles was awesome however.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:06 pm 
LORD HELMET

I say: External HD with DivX movies ftw D:

I'm at like 240 movies on my 640gb external hd so far

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:46 pm 
lolmithrapld

i gots plenty of VHS and DVDs and working on the BLU Rays.
I dread to think how many as lots of em got boxed up outta the way, guess I'll find them when i get around to clearing the loft and go through the many boxes above the wardrobes lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:38 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Am I the only one that can deal with half-decent picture and don't really care about the extreme 1080p crisp super hynogeneticaldepocaracies of super awesome spectacularness picture quality as long as the movie is good?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:08 pm 
LORD HELMET

DVD quality is ok for me :/

(also because I don't have a fullHD tv ._.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:42 pm 
Random Man

Kobe answered it. If you don't have a huge tv, or a hdtv at all you may think VHS or DVD is as good as it gets. But if you are playing VHS, or DVD on a HDTV you'll want the best format. Especially after having a taste of a good 1080p movie (planet earth for example). Without a great upscaler dvds on HDTV looks bad. The PS3 is awesome at upscaling dvds, but still don't make them HD quality because of the noise, and jpeg like artifacts on some of the older dvds (Elf, Fast and the Furious, Mission Impossible 2).

Last edited by Ploid on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 pm 
LORD HELMET

My father has a 46" fullhd lcd tv with a bluray reader... and god, the quality of bluray is so distant from the dvd one on a tv like that :x