It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:30 am 
Juggernaut Search & Rescue

I feel so obligated to play guys and I dont know what to do.
Because of this game, I've lost the most importaint person in my life.
This game has ruled me for 5 years and it has caused me to become someone I never wanted to be. I say I'm going to do things but then come home and turn on FFXI and do that instead of, going back to school, getting married, getting a new car, growing up. This fucking sucks.
Thanks to FFXI I lost my girlfriend. The one I wanted to Marry and spend the rest of my life with. Start a family with.
Now shes gone. I'm giving myself til the end of the month to give up FFXI or seriously get my addiction under control.
I hope you all understand where I am right now, I need to get my life on track and start growing up. Im 22 and work at a hardware store.
Time to do somthing more with my life.

No, none of you can have my stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:46 am 
Doesn't work without batteries

Sometimes you gotta do, what you gotta do.

Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:21 am 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Can I have your stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:58 am 
K-Fed Stunt Double

quit. might be the best thing for ya. I could sit here and tell you how great being single is and all that BS, but ffxi is temporary. plus i'd rather have my meals cooked and my dick rode over ffxi anyday!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:36 am 
lolmithrapld

Suka you gotta quit, delete FFXI from whatever system you play on and toss away any disks you got. RL is much more important than some dead online game. How often are you coming in from school / work knowing full well you got a bunch of stuff to do RL but end up sitting staring at the screen doing sod all because nothing is happening.
Remove the game and you'll get that life back, might take a while to get out of the habit of coming in and turning on the console / pc but RL has soo much more to offer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:48 am 
Random Man

You aren't addicted to the game, you're just addicted to the community. Stay chatting with the forum and crap when you get a chance. It's much better, well it was when safer was around. Now the forum is almost dead too.

Like Tyriac said, you gotta quit cold turkey. None of this, slow down crap. Think of it like this, you won the game, stop collecting gear or leveling new jobs and you'll see how boring the game really is. Get your girl back, and continue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:46 pm 
Black Thumb

Ploid wrote:
It's much better, well it was when safer was around. Now the forum is almost dead too.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:11 pm 
Italian #1

best way to get rid of this addiction is.... getting banned!

i tried twice ages ago but GM failed so hard

Kooyo wrote:
I too will shut up

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:07 pm 
Cock atrice

damn, I'm sorry to here that man. Take it from a pro of quitting/coming back to this game, RL > any game. Once you take a few months off, hell even years, you'll see how much you'll be able to accomplish whether it be social life, school, or what have you. Like Ploid said, you're probably hooked on the community and not so much the game; just use the forums to keep in touch with peepz.

If you feel the need to play something, play something more casual and less time-consuming like an offline rpg or a shooter. But for now it might be best to put a stop on everything til you get your girl back, its not everyday you find a girl who will stay with someone this long KNOWING they play this game =/ GL to ya man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:40 pm 
Hexabox Aspirant

ItsSeflol wrote:
Can I have your stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:22 pm 
Pixie

Well I'm gonna input into this thread.

"Everything in moderation."

I know that this might sound pretencious (sp?) and condescending, but it's honestly the way to be.
I played for 2 years solid racking up copious amounts of time on the game and spending less time with my girlfriend (at the time).
When I got offered promotion and £26k payrise (had to get that in) , I totally stopped playing for a year and a half.
But I missed the game.
So now I do both, I play when I can and have no RL stuff to do.
When my GF comes round or I go there, I don't play at all for a few days.
I then get excited (lol) when I come back and play again.
I do my work, see my gf, spend an hour in the gym every day except Sundays and spend my free time on this.
You (one) needs to have a ladder of responsibility and you need to rank everything in their importance.
Put important things first and when you happy that RL is going as planned, then you can use free time to "relax" and play a game or w/e makes you happy.
And as for "she was the one" stuff you said, I thought that every girl I've ever been with was "the one" until you find out they have like mental issues or crap at oral sex etc. and then I just move on to the next. I found a nice one atm and she is now pregnant so it's time to settle down, but you never know. But I will never say "she is the one" till I get married to her or whoever.
22 is far too young to settle down anyway ffs, need alot of bedpost notches before you settle down these days.
And you might even get back with her anywayz, who knows?

Anyways I said what I think, but everyone is different.

/emote waits for the torrents of abuse quoting what I have said etc. with "lol"s beside it :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:25 pm 
Italian #1

l8r suka

if i remember correctly this is your 3rd attempt to quit since i joined eden :D

Kooyo wrote:
I too will shut up

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:26 pm 
Brutal Sheep

GUNSHOW10K wrote:
Well I'm gonna input into this thread.

I thought that every girl I've ever been with was "the one" until you find out they have like mental issues or crap at oral sex etc. and then I just move on to the next.

lol.

besides that, gl with all your stuff bro, hopefully you get her back and put this game away forever. :<

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:54 am 
Bitter Canadian

best thing I ever did was skip sky and get kicked from ls lol
Takes up way too much free time that can be spent with actual people. I miss playing sometimes or killing that "I got fuck all to do" time but it's a lot more fun not logging in every day
than it was camping a fafhogg or w/e "event" there was to do every day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:50 am 
Daddy

Good luck suka. There will be plenty of time for games later.

I hope you can get your girl back, move on, and remember the fun times you had without regret.

After 6 months without FF, I still goof off just as much, but now I do things that have a pause button so other stuff isn't neglected.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:35 am 
Random Man

I remember when I first realized ffxi didn't have a pause button. Then later down the line my friends and family learned it didn't have pause or save. They would always say, "get to a save and come on" and I'd be like, "lol, (1hr later) crap no pop still, sigh."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:51 am 
Peaches 'n Cream

Bodycount wrote:
best thing I ever did was skip sky and get kicked from ls lol
Takes up way too much free time that can be spent with actual people. I miss playing sometimes or killing that "I got fuck all to do" time but it's a lot more fun not logging in every day
than it was camping a fafhogg or w/e "event" there was to do every day.

I think the term we use BC, is ... "I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

etc~

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:52 pm 
Isabella's Mommy

I think gun said it best but yeah you should NEVER feel obligated to play a game. Thats when it becomes too much and yes you lose the important things in your life. If FFXi is interfering in your daily living - its too much, if you are losing what its important to you, its too much. I hate to admit, but I've always played this as what it is - a game. I enjoy being in Eden but ive never felt obligated to go to camps, chase after drops, etc. - which is also why Monk was/is my only job for so long! :bll: If I'm around, I'll be there (even when i'd rather be somewhere else ;p) but I wont schedule the things in life around events (as you may have noticed in trying to setup the salvage schedule :rofl: )

For now I say quit cold turkey - get yourself together and you'll see you dont need this game for your day-to-day. If you choose to come back after time away do so with set time limits - and stick to it. I know youve put a lot of time in and seems like a waste but your life and your happiness will thank you for it.

Best of luck to you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:07 pm 
Goblin Smithy

Whether you get her back or not, move on. Don't let this get you down bud, but learn from it too. This is a game, but it's also where you make friends and meet great new people. Might seem a bit detached and unusual to make friends, but I've made some of the greatest friends through games and online. Mira and Mef are 2 of my best friends and they know more about me than some of my family. They are part of my family, so I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes people in real life need to know that they need to make time for you to be with your friends too. But dont neglect them so much either. It's all about balancing out your time with everyone. Like some of the others were saying, your young. You might not feel it, but you are. You have so much time to meet great new people and new women, or maybe it will work out with your girl. Whatever the case may be, dont feel youve wasted your time, because when you think too hard on what you havnt done is when you feel youve done nothing at all. Move on bud.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:49 pm 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

KNOW WHEN TO CASH OUT etc.