It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:40 pm 
Random Man

I'm not the most pc savy person. I wanted a new pc because I'm either too lazy to upgrade, or just can't actually (darn mini emachine case wont let me put a big daddy mother board in it with a agp slot). I currently have a 2.5 mhz centrino intel motherboard pc. Like 240mbs of memory, and a nifty 40+40gbs of hdd space. I was able to run half life 1 on it, and to some extent black and white.

This new pc I sent at already (darn my impatience) has 1gb memory, 250gb hdd, read and writes cd/dvds (my current can't read dvds), has vista (I don't like how bad vista sounds as far as running, wish it was xp), and a AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800+ (I'm thinking that is 2.4ghz amirite?). I'm currently looking up if it has a agp slot but as I do so is this a good upgrade? It's only $498 but I don't spend much time at pc's anyway to pay much more although I can controll pc's with my ps3 controller now and sit back. Oh it's a emachine, do those usually come with agp?

EMachines W5243 Desktop PC. (lolz PCs & walmart)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:49 pm 
Random Man

Crap wait wait, I think I sent at the dell I530W81 $798 (after looking at the eMachines one I hope I sent at that, this is a PS3 and a xbox360 core, and almost enough for a psp... Wait maybe it is, well if core's are 250or less)

2GB, 500gb hdd, cd/dvd write, vista (yuck), intel core 2 Duo Processor (still no graphics card).

I'd call the person to make sure but she's keep me on the phone and it's now me time. PS2 is now in texas. From Atlanta, back to Mississippi, to Texas. Trying to get it on the moon next (let my army junky brother use it since someone took the pstwo). Would be nice if this pc can run ffxi but would hurt staring at a monitor as long as a tv, and closer. Also no relaxing while playing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:23 am 
Cock atrice

Ploid wrote:
Crap wait wait, I think I sent at the dell I530W81 $798 (after looking at the eMachines one I hope I sent at that, this is a PS3 and a xbox360 core, and almost enough for a psp... Wait maybe it is, well if core's are 250or less)

2GB, 500gb hdd, cd/dvd write, vista (yuck), intel core 2 Duo Processor (still no graphics card).

I'd call the person to make sure but she's keep me on the phone and it's now me time. PS2 is now in texas. From Atlanta, back to Mississippi, to Texas. Trying to get it on the moon next (let my army junky brother use it since someone took the pstwo). Would be nice if this pc can run ffxi but would hurt staring at a monitor as long as a tv, and closer. Also no relaxing while playing.

Dells suck
stay away

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:48 am 
Old Lady Hater

Get XP if you can Dx As a vista user I fucking hate it. A lot of games and things aren't compatible (at least not with the version of vista i'm using). It's super secure and all but it's a goddamned pain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:35 am 
Random Man

Well the one I asked for wasn't in. I might order a better pc on the internet for a lower price hah. Patience is a virtue after all. Learned that in Sea. Not building my own though. So tired of messing over pc internals after having to force myself to open past pcs and screw around until I learned. And DOS can die omg. I hate PCs what am I doing. But I'll be able to be on vent while playing ffxi on ps2 with you guys when I set this up.

Thanks for the advice. Will stay clear away from vista.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:27 pm 
Black Thumb

I play Ploid's char on a Dell laptop and I have never had any instances of slow-down or graphical breakup. The only time it ever even gets choppy at all is when I'm running Firefox (usually 5+ tabs), FFXI, Limewire, etc.

People say that Dell's are shitty but I don't understand why they say that given my flawless history with them.

they slip through your fingertips because
they never happened to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:28 pm 
Black Thumb

Edit in new post so it won't be missed:
Also I claimed Faf in a 130+ person aery last week from my Dell laptop...gg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:48 pm 
Back Sheep

If you get XP, get the OEM version. Way cheaper. Same thing just without the microsoft support, but who calls microsoft anyways?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:32 pm 
Cock atrice

Yorke wrote:
I play Ploid's char on a Dell laptop and I have never had any instances of slow-down or graphical breakup. The only time it ever even gets choppy at all is when I'm running Firefox (usually 5+ tabs), FFXI, Limewire, etc.

People say that Dell's are shitty but I don't understand why they say that given my flawless history with them.

How much did you pay?

And I have a dell. Within a few months the sound card fucked up on me, still had warranty; so they had a guy come out to check on my computer, he said there was no problems and he didnt understand, so I still have a fucked up sound card. Gay. I've spent hours on the phone with them trying to fix problems I never caused, they cant help. Pisses me off, they talk about great systems, and great technical support. I've only gotten the EXACT opposite.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:11 am 
Goblin Smithy

I never had a problem with Dell. Check sound card drivers?

Ved, you buying online or at a store. Dell's online pages usually tell you that information under technical specs. Any new machine should have PCI-E now (AGP is dead).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:04 am 
Cock atrice

superfob wrote:
I never had a problem with Dell. Check sound card drivers?

yeah, done pretty much everything except replace it. But thats not the only problem i've had. Idk, I find their computers really unreliable. I have so many problems with it that ive never had on my friends systems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:30 am 
Random Man

Wha AGP dead and PCI-E(?) is standard now and better? Man the PC industry move way too fast. I remember rattling my brain and searching all over newegg.com, overstock.com, bestbuy, ibuypower.com for a motherboard that could fit my pc case, and had a agp slot. I had a sick graphics card that I paid a lot of money for thinking it could fit in my 1997 pc but it only had PCI slots and that single small brown slot wasn't a agp slot. Trying to beef up a pc has left me with a lot of wasted money. Upgrading cars are easier it seem, the parts aren't so incompatible if you stick to your car type (they don't get outdated and dropped support).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:15 pm 
Black Thumb

I know for a fact that my laptop was bought online, but honestly I have no idea how much it was. If I were to ballpark it, I'd say that it was at least $700. It came with a lot of shit and being that they have a pretty standard price of $599 I'm thinking this was just a little bit more.

Dell Inspiron E1505
Centrino Duo Processor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:48 pm 
Better than Kooyo

Yorke wrote:
Edit in new post so it won't be missed:
Also I claimed Faf in a 130+ person aery last week from my Dell laptop...gg

mind sending me that bot sometime soon babe? :love:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:27 pm 
Juggernaut Search & Rescue

Anything pre-built with a brand name sucks.

Build your own.

Like me :D

gg ploid, gg.

Case: XION Blue LEDs Black and chrome

MoBo: GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 2 P35-DS3R DDR2 1066

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (AMD SUCKS) 2.4GHZ (overclocked to 3.1 stock cooling lewlz) Allendale

PSU 600W (with pretty blue leds)

RAM: 2 gigs GSKILL DDR2 800 ram

GFX card: Geforce 7950GX 512MB (dont wanna shell out for a 8800GT yet)

350GB hard drive ect.

Running XP (lolvista)

and a new 20" LCD widescreen monitor by Hanns-G

total spent: 878 bucks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:02 am 
Random Man

What the crap... only 878 bones. What the crap!? That's a gaming pc and sick stats. Dude these pc's at the store is ripping people off. I dont even get a cheap-o graphics card for 700 dell. The crap!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:15 am 
Back Sheep

Computer sellers get you by charging you for putting the computer together as well as installation/drivers etc. Half the price of any PC is the markup.

Always cheaper to build your own.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:49 am 
Random Man

Man I hate this PC business stuff. Guess I gotta get dirty again and risk screwing up putting a pc together again (and the last time I was only upgrading). Guess I'll put it off instead though. I'm screwed no matter what I do it seems. Darn you suka, I was better off blind.

Maybe ibuypower.com is still in business. (checks) Ope they are. Looks like this will be my route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:46 pm 
Goblin Smithy

Well, Ploid I usually wait for a good deal on a bare minimum system from dell and do the rest of the upgrades myself from online retailers. RAM, video, hard drives, monitor should all be bought separately and upgraded.

For instance, I got a Quad 2.4Ghz, 2gigs of ram, 80gig HD for $600 from dell, and added a Geforce 640MB 8800 GTS for $300 and 500GB HD for another $100.

If at the time I were to purchase those parts online instead of buying dell, it would've run me about the same price, but I saved the time of not putting it together as well as have the parts compatibility tested.

Edit: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 2232280889

That isn't too bad if the powersupply is good enough to handle a video card upgrade. If your not playing FPS's though, it'd probably still run FFXI.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:51 pm 
Random Man

Ok I will probably have to start playing ffxi on pc and wanted a better pc than what I have to get started on digitial art doohickies (current pc is a chore to mess with that stuff but doable). My stinkin PS2 is a slut and probably won't be coming back home.

he New 325 D benchmarks faster than the old Celeron 2.7 GHz processor.

* Compaq Presario SR1103WM-B desktop PC
* Compaq F7600c 17-inch flat screen CRT monitor
* Intel Celeron D Processor 325 (2.53 GHz, 533 Front Side bus, 256 KB L2 Cache)
* 40 GB Ultra DMA hard drive
* 256 MB DDR SDRAM
* Integrated Intel Extreme (!!!!) Graphics with up to 64 MB shared video memory
* CD-Writer (CD-RW) 48x32x48
* 9-in-1 memory card reader
* High-speed V.92 56K fax modem
* Integrated 10/100Base-T networking interface
* Presario USB-powered analog speakers
* Compaq keyboard and scroller mouse
* Available slots: 2 PCI
* Available external ports: 5 USB 2.0, 1 serial, 1 parallel
* Available bays: 5.25-inch
* Software Included: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Works 7.0, Microsoft Money 2004, Intuit Quicken Financial Center includes New Users Edition 2004, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Sonic RecordNow (easily create your own CDs), Apple iTunes for Windows and RealPlayer

They don't say what size tower it is for the motherboard. I think I'll need a whole new mb because I need the new PCI-E since AGP is dead. Maybe something that can use the memory that I have + another memory stick (maybe 1 gig or 2).

More info this appears to be the way my MB look.

And more specs.

Memory Type: DDR
Memory Speed: PC2100, PC2700
Chipset: Intel 845GV
Memory Type: Non-ECC Non-Registered,
Memory Slot(s): 2
Max. Memory Per System: 2048MB (2GB)
Max. Memory Per Slot: 1024MB (1GB)
Dual Channel Memory Support: Not Supported
Install Memory in Pairs: Not Required