It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RAM help needed.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:43 pm 
Random Man

Ok I'm going to buy some ram online. I had 256 and less for the last forever. I just now installed a dvdrw drive after having a PC game that was on dvd for years (came with a magazine. Deusx and Thief something). So after doing that I wanted to get memory since it's cheaper now. I'm not able to buy games on it even if I soup the memory up due to not having a motherboard with agp or the IDE-E port. I want memory because it has to be what's holding my pc back I figure (it moves so slow, firefox hogs all the memory, Lutia's "you'll poo bricks" thread kills it).

2.53GHz processor.

RAM Technology.........DDR SDRAM
Installed RAM.............256 MB
Max Supported RAM.....1 GB
Number of Memory Slots.......2 x 184 Pin DIMMs
Supported RAM Speeds........333 MHz
Installed Cache Memory.......256 KB

I remember from the techtv days that there are different types of ram. Some aren't compatible with some motherboards. With that info which ram should I get? I saw a lot of DDR ram that didn't have SDRAM after the DDR. I don't want to buy something and have to keep it with the other wrong junk I bought for my pc. Help me pc masters.

DIMM?
SODIMM?
:shinner: man pc's are a mess.

Last edited by Ploid on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:58 pm 
Goblin Smithy

Last edited by Dragir on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: RAM help needed.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:01 pm 
Random Man

Ah ok, I'll look up the model of the motherboard now. Thanks.

Edit: Wow nice deal on that 1gig from the newegg link. Thanks a lot Dragir, you rock Image. I think that has to be compatible. I'll open the box and take a look at the motherboard to make sure later today.

Oh and when I said IDE-E I was mistaken, it was PCI-E lolz. PCI normal is what I have, and lots of them :(

Edit: Done, maybe now I won't rely on paging file for virtual memory so much. Now to make dvd backup and format and reinstall windows and only install useful programs, no myspace instant messengers (not my crap), and such.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:23 am 
Purposely trained wrong as a joke.

RAM that bitch upside the head.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:55 pm 
Juggernaut Search & Rescue

im far superior in the kowledge of building PCs dragir is a has-been

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:17 am 
Random Man

Is there a way to make sure a video file can't be copied or uploaded to the internet? It's a very sensitive vid and I'd be in trouble if it got on the net. It's not something illegal, but rather something personal. Me and the other person involved will look back on this when we're old and gray and remember how awesome we were. The chess match was very intense, I pulled off a surprise checkmate.

The ram didn't show up yet. I just did a slow slow slow Nero vision menu and video encode and burn. Will start over to add copy protection like the professional dvds, and such if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:00 am 
Random Man

Woo the ram fits, and works. I was very doubtful that I would be so lucky. I made sure not to remove it from the package until I could size it up with the old module. It was in a clear package so that made things easy. After putting it in the ram didn't register. I had the smaller one in the first slot, and the new one in the second. In the end it works, and even the old one with it. I had to put the larger one in the first slot. 1,256 mb of ram babee!

Now to see what I can do.

Edit: Oh yea, a big thanks again Dragir.

Noticed browsing the web with mozilla is zippy now. I'll wait until google's chrome is tweaked a bit more now I guess. Powa

Edit 2: Oops I have a 2.53GHz processor not 1.5. Didn't matter though. All I need now is a PCI compatible video card :\

MS Windows XP SP2
Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz, 1.2GB RAM, Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Edit3: Woo ok I did some messing around. First I opened that solid eye (MGS4 pictures *click at your own risk. A lot of images.) thread on a forum. Then I played gametrailers videos, and then I opened Photoshop and started a new 10x10 600resolution image and started going crazy drawing with different brushes. The PC isn't taking a hit at all. This little memory upgrade was the best thing ever.

Ok I think I have too much memory. With all this stuff going I'm only using about 450-550mb of memory.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:42 am 
Goblin Smithy

Last edited by Dragir on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:54 am 
Random Man

Dude, you're da man! I'm set with the video card. I just want the complete package. Ram, Good processor (2.5ghz is great to me), and the videocard that allow 3d games (Deus Ex chugs on me, well before the ram).

I did another test. I opened about 70 pictures in photoshop, while running firefox (100+mb of memory used). It was still whistling as it spit out those images one after another. This stuff is crazy. This pc now does better than my vista laptop that I can't stand to use (the laptop, vista is ok to me. I hate the small compact keyboard, and the touch pad).

OMG HDMI output. I can hook it up to my HDTVs. What, :bowdown: Dragir

Also I remember a $80 videocard that I bought a while ago. It was old at the time, and I couldn't use it because I had no AGP. Now this one is $100, I can use it, and it has more mb of ram and everything. PCs are getting very cheap I see.

Edit: I also have a huge 16ft. dvi to HDMI cord. I got it for the laptop but the laptop didn't have a dvi port. One of my other PC upgrade failures.