http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LinLVEOjkKc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMgGLcQk-gE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePtTZZkaVqA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu-3q4mNmN8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcSstnZw6TE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul73zahKBbM&feature=related

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:38 pm 
lolSamurai

What is wrong with parents? Are they trying to live through there kids? Do they feel power acting like this at a game? When did yelling and cursing at kids become the way to teach a sport? This is a project I am working on for college, "Are parents destroying youth sports?" and "Solutions to over-parenting in youth sports" If anyone has more videos of these type of things or injuries do to this kind of things please post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:14 pm 
lolmithrapld

This is why I Hate pushy parents, encouraging is fine but pushing is wrong.
I'll quite happily support my kids in whatever they do, but I see many kids being pushed into numerous after school activities such as dancing, athletics, gymnastics, swimming, tennis. some to the point that every single day they have something or other on and its quite clear those kids are stressed to the hilt, some even losing hair (yet parents seem to think there's nothing at all wrong with them)
Any parent that shows any sign of aggression should be perm kicked from any event.
Maybe these parents will have a guilty conscience, maybe not now, but later when their child has grown up and shows signs of physical problems due to too much stress on their bodies when they were younger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:58 pm 
Eden Alumni

I played Tennis for 7 years.

My parents never came to any of my games.

So.....no, they didn't ruin my sports. :>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:11 pm 
Cock atrice

Tyriac wrote:
This is why I Hate pushy parents, encouraging is fine but pushing is wrong.
I'll quite happily support my kids in whatever they do, but I see many kids being pushed into numerous after school activities such as dancing, athletics, gymnastics, swimming, tennis. some to the point that every single day they have something or other on and its quite clear those kids are stressed to the hilt, some even losing hair (yet parents seem to think there's nothing at all wrong with them)
Any parent that shows any sign of aggression should be perm kicked from any event.
Maybe these parents will have a guilty conscience, maybe not now, but later when their child has grown up and shows signs of physical problems due to too much stress on their bodies when they were younger

Yeah, its pretty fucked up when parents do that. I honestly know quite a few kids whose parents try to live through them. Its sick. They are stressed out, many of them hate the things they use to love to do, or never even liked those activities at all. I only know one guy who has a jam packed schedule from sports, etc, and really enjoys it. The rest hate it and I pity them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:09 am 
Cock atrice

My kid is in Baseball, and Basketball currently, plus all the camps/clinics as well. If he wants to do something, I say yes, as long as he is willing to finish it. He has turned down many other sports because he wants his "Nothing to do" time still. On top of sports, he is involved in Boyscouts, The Gifted/Talented Program, and Misc. After School activities (most recently he is trying out for the School Play) On top of all of this he wants me to look into some form of martial arts for him, and he wants to get lessons to play the violin. All of this is at his discretion, as long as he promises me to see it to the end. (I mention all this so you know the basis of my experience for my next statements)

At ANY of these functions, there is at least 1 parent screaming, cursing, and acting like a jerk. (I hate to say it, but usually a Dad)
I can remember one time in particular, we had a teammate on our baseball team who had the police called on him. He was going to be banned from the field but then the hurricanes hit and our season got canceled. The other teams coach is a very well known and respected little league coach throughout So. Fla, everyone knows and loves this guy. He doesn't coach his own kids only, he also coaches the other team because his thoughts are that everyone is there to learn the game and have a good time. I have never in my dealings with him (both little league and professionally) seen him not smile or in a bad mood. To the point, he showed our teammate how to adjust his grip on the bat to straighten out his hits, the kids dad jumps up, and starts a pushing/shoving/screaming fight with the coach, because the coach had the audacity to try and teach his kid something.

You want research for your project? Attend ANY youth sports event around you.

I just reread my post here, I want to add that I was once chastised at my son's game, so I am not innocent. In my case I was coaching over our teams coach because instead of teaching the kids to make plays he was having them throw the ball to the pitcher no matter what (not even teaching them to step on the bag). In his defense, these were 4-5yr old kids, with no knowledge of the basics (what better time to learn), but my son is a pro-baller* and knows how to make a double play, so should not be encouraged to unlearn what he has already worked very hard for. I was not yelling, screaming, cursing, or anything else, I was only telling my son (1st base) to throw to 2nd for the double play when I was chastised in front of everyone by our coach. That was the last time I yelled encouragement and saved it instead of our practices at home. Next time the coach got on my son for that, he responded with "I'm sorry, but my mom says I'm not to listen to you." Possibly disrespectful yes, but I'm not about to teach my son that it is okay to dumb yourself up to 'fit in' either. Kind of a 'lesser of two evils' situation IMO.

GD, I wrote a book, hope it helps Lot.

*Not parental bias, at 7 he had 3 different recruiters calling him. You're gonna see my kid in the majors. Ok, I'll admit to bias on that last part, the recruiter part is true tho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:19 am 
lolSamurai

lol meka just so you know I am a coach, player, and a youth sports official. Thats why my professor assigned me this topic. The rest of the class was allowed to pick there own topics, but because of my background he wanted my oppinion of this since I see it from all the angles. I am by no means saying it is all parents, just that are there parents ruining youth sports. We have seen in the medical field a dramatic increase in over use injuries, bones breaking, and even kids suffering mental damage due to the xtream pressure parents are putting on there kids. And yes there are kids that want to do everything like yours, those aren't the parents i'm talking about, i'm talking about the parents that make there kids wake up at 4am and run 5 miles to the skate areana for practice before school then make them go back to the rink soon after class.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:26 am 
Cock atrice

Yeah, I know, I was trying to do to many things in one post.

1.) I am not a crazy parent

2.) One personal example

3.) We are not all either innocent nor guilty

4.) My kid kicks your kids ass. Or I beat him, nightly. j/k

Cliff notes version :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:23 am 
lolSamurai

Meka wrote:
4.) My kid kicks your kids ass. Or I beat him, nightly. j/k

Ahhh so you are like the parent in the first video.... thanks for that info can use that as a source.... jp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:08 am 
Crustache

i didn't see any vids of those parents starting a fight @ little league hockey game lol...

and yeah, my parents never came to my matches either :/ well my dad did back in england and stuff, but he didn't have time anymore in belgium -.-;

and yeah, i coached tennis too :S i've banned a parent from a court before, the guy was yelling at his kid to do better, i told him to leave, he refused, had to get help from the other coaches. we ended up taking a 15min break from the match to let things cool down so we could speak to the kid.

parents suck lol